Where are the Plesanton police?

Original post made by Paul, Vintage Hills, on Mar 16, 2017

4 cars go through the red arrow at multiple intersections in Pleasanton every day; I know because I see them.

Where are the police?
Children wait to cross at these intersections.

The Pleasanton police show up on the first day of school every year to take advantage of confused parent drivers and issue tickets; then the police disappear.

As I watch 4 cars routinely run the red arrow at multiple intersections in Pleasanton every day of my life, I have never seen a police officer stop a red light runner.

Will it take a dead child, or not even that?

Will irresponsible adults promote a "Walk/Bike to School Day" under these conditions? The adults in Pleasanton make it dangerous for a child to walk or bike anywhere they encounter an intersection with a traffic light.

3 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 16, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

If you think its bad here, try the 237 onramps in sunnyvale. Right hand turns from 3 lanes over and offroad shoulder driving to get to diamond lanes

15 people like this
Posted by RU Kiddingmii
a resident of Valley Trails
on Mar 17, 2017 at 9:36 am

RU Kiddingmii is a registered user.

Thats a great question. I too see multiple blatant violations almost every day. If you bring this to the attention of the PPD you will likely get their standard "its a staffing issue" or "there are higher priorities" canned answers (even though they have a dedicated Traffic Division). If we see them then PPD should be seeing them too. What a huge revenue stream these infractions could generate if the laws were consistently enforced.

As they say "just my humble opinion".

7 people like this
Posted by obama
a resident of Happy Valley
on Mar 18, 2017 at 12:32 am

obama is a registered user.

Well, while going through the citizen's academy, I learned the city staffs the city with five police officers on a normal shift. That's roughly one police officer for every five square miles. With five officers dealing with 75k people's problems, I would imagine there is very little time to wait around for someone to hopefully run a red light.

From speaking with a retired officer I know, there are numerous vacancies at the department which have not been filled. The city has posted job announcements for police officers for years to fill the vacancies, and they have failed spectacularly. Pleasanton pays police officers a smaller salary (up to 15% in some cases) than most of the nearby cities, including San Leandro, Oakland, Milpitas, Hayward, Fremont, San Ramon, and Concord. The only cities I found in the area that paid less are Walnut Creek and Livermore.

While Pleasanton's fiscal conservatism has been beneficial in many ways, your experience is a direct result of these overly conservative fiscal policies. You don't have to look much further than the crime rate to see the direct result of these policies - up 35 percent since 2011 with violent crime up 42 percent over the same period. San Ramon, in contrast, has a fully staffed police department, has an essentially flat crime rate over the same period, and a crime rate of roughly half of Pleasanton's (11.85/1000 residents vs 23.23/1000 residents).

To answer your question directly - you get what you pay for.

1 person likes this
Posted by Anna
a resident of Happy Valley
on Mar 18, 2017 at 3:14 am

Anna is a registered user.

I can vouch for the fact that the Pleasanton Police hand out tickets for running red lights. I got one this year. It was very expensive. I'm wondering why the fine is higher at First St. and Bernal than it is at Hacienda and Stoneridge (where the fine is posted.)
My experience today was having many children crossing a street from the beginning of a green light to the end. There was never a break when I was able to make my right turn. It might save a child's life to learn that they are supposed to enter a crosswalk at a green light only while the walk signal is lit.

3 people like this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 18, 2017 at 8:18 am

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Obama,
No we dont. And i mean that in a larger political sense. Need funding for some stupid program? Pull it from fire and police department budgets, claim these services are under funded and put a special tax on the ballot you know people will vote for vs the original special interest program very few want.
Political terrorism.

Another barrier is the union that fights the automation of some of these tasks. We have the technology here and now to automate redlight running, you could issue tickets for 100% of violations. But unions and legal systems are fighting those advancements.

11 people like this
Posted by Flightops
on Mar 18, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Flightops is a registered user.

3 words - RED LIGHT CAMERAS!!! The city prima donnas need to quit planning on those new digs for 200+ million and hire more police officers, the BLUE line is a little thin out there on the streets.

2 people like this
Posted by Karen
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Mar 20, 2017 at 8:31 am

Karen is a registered user.

how about people who stop and wait at dedicated right turns causing back ups and drivers who stop 10-15 feet back from the vehicle ahead waiting at a signal so they block the left turn queue lane or make others miss the signal? Or who dont understand the practice of "zipper"or alternate car merging? All Im saying is it adds to hurried frustration on the road at the expense of safety. We need to teach safety and coutesy now that there are so many more drivers. Especially to those from other countries who are relatively new to driving or driving in the USA.

1 person likes this
Posted by Cosmic-Charlie
on Mar 20, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Cosmic-Charlie is a registered user.

Regarding those dedicated right hand turn lanes, like the one at Valley going to Northbound Santa Rita Road are a very dangerous place. Twice I have been hit at a dedicated right hand turn lane at Ravenswood Avenue on to southbound Middlefield Road in Menlo Park, where I had to stop because the person in front of me refused to go on through the dedicated lane and then merge. Resulting in the person coming for behind, slamming into me. Twice at the same intersection...

1 person likes this
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 20, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Pleasanton Parent is a registered user.

Completely agree on the stopping on a dedicated right hand turn lane and the dangers it presents. I lay on my horn, not to be a jerk, but because im worried about getting rear ended by someone expecting the lane to be moving. Completely agree.

California is actually the best state ive driven in for alternating merging. The midwest is terrible.

I really wish the drivers license test was far more difficult, too many unskilled drivers on the road. And i really think it should only be administered in english, road signs are all on english. Its not a cultural thing, its a safety one.

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Tri-Valley cities rank high in poll

What You Need to Do Before Your Child Goes to College