"Adding a bit of glamour to any outfit serves two purposes," says Janette Ewen, style expert for a line of jewelry. "It gives an added touch of refinement -- and fun -- to your workday looks, but it also makes you feel special. When you're well dressed, you feel your best -- it's really as simple as that."
To make date night, lunch with friends or even a day at the office a little more special, follow Ewen's tips for adding glam touches to your wardrobe.
* Stand out. "Opt for pieces that will set you apart from the crowd, whether it's a brightly colored article of clothing, a striking pair of shoes or attention-grabbing jewelry," Ewen says. Check out charms with pave-set stones in a variety of colors that add shine and sparkle.
* Choose an area of focus. If your blouse is boldly colored, let that be the "star" item, and make the rest of your clothes and accessories the supporting cast. "Picking one area to focus on keeps your look classy, rather than overdone," adds Ewen.
* Shop for transitional pieces. When you're at the mall or a clothing boutique, look for items that can be worn day to night with the help of the right accessories. Some blouses can be perfectly work-appropriate when topped by a blazer, and then be ready for a night on the town with the addition of jewelry or a different pair of shoes. "I love to pop the collar on a simple white blouse and add long, layered necklaces," suggests Ewen.
* Don't overdo it. "If you choose to focus on jewelry, feel free to stack sparkling bracelets against neutral clothing," says Ewen. Avoid piling on big earrings, statement necklaces, lots of rings and stacks of bracelets all together. The right amount of sparkle will make your look sophisticated; too much is simply too much.
* Wear with confidence. No matter how you choose to accessorize or highlight your look, wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident. Ewen points out that you don't need to go outside your style in order to make your look more glamorous -- simply add a little shine to a look that's perfectly your own.
No matter the season, what you wear can have an effect on how you feel. So whether you're planning what to wear to holiday festivities or the perfect items to pack for vacation, keep these tips in mind to look and feel your best.
This story contains 530 words.
Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.
If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.