Winners of the Alameda County Fair commercial and amateur wine competitions have been announced and include several local wineries.
There were 267 commercial entries received. Following are the top medal winners for each of this year’s competitions:
* Best of Show Red: Concannon Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon Cabernet Franc, 2018
* Best of Show White: Las Positas Vineyards, Verdelho, 2021
* Best of Show Dessert: Rodrigue Molyneaux Estate Winery and Vineyard, Envie, 2017
* Best of Show Sauvignon Blanc: Francis Ford Coppola Diamond Collection, Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc, 2021
* Best of Show Zinfandel: Almost Famous Wine Company, Wine Without Borders Primitivo, 2019
* Best of Show Zin Dessert: Carol Shelton Wines, Black Magic Late Harvest Zin, 2021
* Best of Show Rose: Wood Family Vineyards, Pink Pearl Rose, 2021
The winners were evaluated by some of the wine industry’s most notable judges, including Barry Herbst, Pat Henderson, Susan Reiner-Lyon, Jamie Knee, Joel Green, Wilfred Wong, Meredith Sarboraria, Laura Ness, Brent Amos and Jorge Tinoco.
The Amateur Winemaking contest, which was open to California residents age 21 and over, received 81 entries. Following are the top medal winners for each of this year’s competitions:
* Best of Show Red: 3579 Wines, Der Wanderer Cabernet, 2019
* Best of Show White: Tiffany Hills Estates Wines, Semillion, Viognier Blend, 2021
* Best of Show Rose: DB&J Cellar, Rose, 2020
The Alameda County Fair is scheduled to run Wednesday through Sunday from June 17 through July 10, and July 4. For more information, visit the fair's website.