News

Face mask incident involving campaigners causes stir at farmers' market

Police respond as group not wearing face coverings in public July 18 draws ire

A small group campaigning for a local congressional candidate caused a stir by not wearing face masks at the Pleasanton Farmers' Market earlier this month.

Onlookers at the market on July 18 photographed the people in question, who were not wearing face coverings while sitting at a table with signs and other informational materials relating to the election campaign for Alison Hayden, the Republican candidate looking to unseat incumbent Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Livermore) in the Nov. 3 general election.

Screenshot of a Facebook post with accompanying photo of an unidentified individual not wearing a face mask at the July 18 Pleasanton Farmers Market. Police responding to the scene determined one person had a medical condition that exempted them from wearing a mask. (Courtesy image)

Photos of the mask-less campaigners made the rounds on local social media pages and groups as well.

Hayden distanced herself from the individuals involved when contacted by the Weekly, saying no one officially affiliated with her congressional campaign attended the Pleasanton market that day.

Face coverings and physical distancing have become commonplace since the COVID-19 pandemic started, with many states including California requiring residents to wear them while in public.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support PleasantonWeekly.com for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

Teri Yan, spokesperson for the Pleasanton Police Department, confirmed "an incident regarding face coverings did occur at the Farmers' Market" and that an officer "responded to the scene and spoke with the individuals" after their dispatch center received multiple calls about the group that day.

"The officer spoke to the individuals and convinced them to wear their face covering, though one person was determined to be medically exempt from the mask regulation," Yan said. "After the officer left, it was later reported the masks were taken off."

Hayden told the Weekly the table was "not something I endorsed" and that none of the people there are staffers or volunteers for her campaign. "That has nothing to do with me. Nobody in my campaign was there that I know of," Hayden said.

After asking around later that week, Hayden said, "The person did call me and told me apparently she was sitting by herself drinking coffee not near anyone. She has a medical exemption, and the person who approached her was very loud and got kind of antagonistic about it, and I think she was trying to tell him that she has a medical exemption."

The current health order from Alameda County requires all residents to wear face masks when visiting any essential business or when they come within 30 feet of another person while outdoors.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Follow PleasantonWeekly.com and the Pleasanton Weekly on Twitter @pleasantonnews, Facebook and on Instagram @pleasantonweekly for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Face mask incident involving campaigners causes stir at farmers' market

Police respond as group not wearing face coverings in public July 18 draws ire

by / Pleasanton Weekly

Uploaded: Wed, Jul 29, 2020, 5:57 pm

Comments

James Michael
Val Vista
on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:05 pm
James Michael, Val Vista
on Jul 29, 2020 at 8:05 pm
47 people like this

They should have just told the police that they were protesters and that if they didn't go away then they would start to Burn Loot and Murder (BLM) and then everything would have been okay.

Michael James
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 30, 2020 at 12:22 am
Michael James, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 30, 2020 at 12:22 am
52 people like this

They should have told the police they were right-wing racists nut jobs from Val Vista, who follow the voodoo science propagated by their racist bones-spur-in-chief and his foxnews.con cabinet!
(Who knows, it the police happened to be the camouflage wearing secret police whose charter is to assault and kidnap peaceful protesters, they might get off!)

resident
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 30, 2020 at 8:02 am
resident, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 30, 2020 at 8:02 am
16 people like this

@ Michael James - Brilliant!!! :)

Lou Astbury
Kottinger Ranch
on Jul 30, 2020 at 9:21 am
Lou Astbury, Kottinger Ranch
on Jul 30, 2020 at 9:21 am
13 people like this

Unfortunately our leadership has made wearing a mask a leftist political statement. Yesterday: "Republican leaders continue to resist wearing a mask. Today, Representative Louie Gohmert (R-TX) tested positive for the coronavirus before a flight he was scheduled to take with the president. He assembled his staff members, who are forbidden from wearing a mask, in person, to tell them he had tested positive." Unfortunately, many will follow Herman Cain to the grave and take others with them.

James Michael
Val Vista
on Jul 30, 2020 at 10:31 am
James Michael, Val Vista
on Jul 30, 2020 at 10:31 am
25 people like this

@Michael James...did you register that name? you know you only have two days left to come up with a phony one.

Carole Lee Manning
Danbury Park
on Jul 30, 2020 at 11:00 am
Carole Lee Manning, Danbury Park
on Jul 30, 2020 at 11:00 am
Like this comment

What happened to my comment? I don't feel like repeating myself.

Claudette McDermott
Del Prado
on Jul 30, 2020 at 11:43 am
Claudette McDermott, Del Prado
on Jul 30, 2020 at 11:43 am
14 people like this

Time to just start handing out fines. Everyone needs to be held accountable for their bad behavior, just like children, they need to learn a lesson and start behaving like adults...or rather "Responsible Adults."

Claudette McDermott
Del Prado
on Jul 30, 2020 at 11:49 am
Claudette McDermott, Del Prado
on Jul 30, 2020 at 11:49 am
10 people like this

Sure would love to have seen a picture posted here of those "Adults"... bet they'd start wearing their masks for fear of getting their pictures posted.

Michael
Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 30, 2020 at 12:16 pm
Michael, Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 30, 2020 at 12:16 pm
4 people like this

Here's my conspiracy theory: the non-maskers were actually pro Swalwell and we're trying to make Hayden look bad.

BobB
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 30, 2020 at 2:39 pm
BobB, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 30, 2020 at 2:39 pm
12 people like this

I agree with Claudette McDermott. It is time to start handing out fines.

Karl Aitken
Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 30, 2020 at 3:09 pm
Karl Aitken, Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 30, 2020 at 3:09 pm
12 people like this

People who don't wear masks just don't care how they impact others.

I seriously doubt posting their picture will matter to them.

Regarding fines, unless you make the fine thousands of dollars, the entitled rich people of Pleasanton won't blink an eye on getting fined.

Best just to keep your distance and make sure their lack of mask wearing won't impact your health or your family's health.

Plan where you go and when you go to minimize your risk of being exposed to these uncaring people. Own your own health and safety.

And of course, wear a mask ask guidelines define.

Pleasanton Parent
Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 31, 2020 at 9:09 am
Pleasanton Parent , Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 31, 2020 at 9:09 am
14 people like this

You can’t support freedom of speech and the right to protest only when it’s for something you align with.

Sorry, doesn’t work that way.

I’ve never had an expectation that my health was someone else’s responsibility.

Kathleen Ruegsegger
Vintage Hills
on Jul 31, 2020 at 9:22 am
Kathleen Ruegsegger, Vintage Hills
on Jul 31, 2020 at 9:22 am
11 people like this

PP, but you should care about your own health.

resident
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 31, 2020 at 9:40 am
resident, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 31, 2020 at 9:40 am
7 people like this

@Kathleen Ruegsegger
It is useless with some people. Might as well stay away. They don't care.

Karl Aitken
Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 31, 2020 at 1:24 pm
Karl Aitken, Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 31, 2020 at 1:24 pm
14 people like this

Pleasanton Parent -

Now that the weekly is going down the path of more transparency on who is posting on this site, please share your REAL NAME so we all know who to steer clear of to avoid catching your Covid-19 (whether you think / know you have it or not).

This way you can exercise your freedom of speech / actions / beliefs as you desire and we can all take responsibility for our own safety by avoiding any contact with you, your extended family and your extended social circle.

Jennifer
another community
on Jul 31, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Jennifer, another community
on Jul 31, 2020 at 3:35 pm
10 people like this

Karen's irritate me to no end. I haven't seen anyone without a mask, but I mind my own business.

Karl Aitken
Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 31, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Karl Aitken, Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 31, 2020 at 5:16 pm
11 people like this

Jennifer -

Not sure where you spend your time. I just finished my daily 5 mile walk - today was around my neighborhood and Ken Mercer Sports Park.

Note: I choose to walk at times and in places where I can maintain my social distance and avoid people without masks.

Even by doing this, here is today's observations:

No mask count:
Runners - 6
Kids on Bikes - 10
Adult walkers - 7
Adults walking with their children (I don't expect kids under 3 to wear them) - 2
Kids on scooters - 1

Perhaps rather than ridiculing people, you should open up your eyes and expand your sample size / sample area.

Everywhere you go in Pleasanton, people are not wearing masks.

This is supposed to be "The City of Character".

I should not have to lock myself in my basement to be able to live my life safely.

Jennifer
another community
on Jul 31, 2020 at 6:11 pm
Jennifer, another community
on Jul 31, 2020 at 6:11 pm
18 people like this

Karl-

I don't live in Pleasanton. I'm blogging from "another community." Are you blind? I also don't micro-manage others like you do. If you're keeping track, you either have no life or you're pain in the a**. Or both. Worry about yourself. You're not their mother. And it's not our fault you're a coronaphobe. Turn off the news.

Charlie
Amador Estates
on Jul 31, 2020 at 7:48 pm
Charlie , Amador Estates
on Jul 31, 2020 at 7:48 pm
17 people like this

Guess we are lucky Jennifer doesn’t live here.

Karl Aitken
Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 31, 2020 at 8:07 pm
Karl Aitken , Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 31, 2020 at 8:07 pm
7 people like this

I guess from your profanity I must have hit a nerve, Jennifer.

BTW, I am severely visually impaired in one eye. Nice of you to ridicule me for my disability.

Very nice.....

Jennifer
another community
on Jul 31, 2020 at 8:49 pm
Jennifer, another community
on Jul 31, 2020 at 8:49 pm
17 people like this

Karl,

You don't get it. You're annoying the heck out of people. If you can see to walk "5 miles daily" you can read a computer screen. You're the one picking fights with others, not me. And you're blaming others. You're overly sensitive. And John is correct. Most people don't wear a mask to exercise outside.

Linda Kelly
Vintage Hills
on Jul 31, 2020 at 11:54 pm
Linda Kelly, Vintage Hills
on Jul 31, 2020 at 11:54 pm
9 people like this

I wear a mask. I am not a "coronaphobe" and I view Jennifer's label as extremely offensive, especially since she says she doesn't even live in Pleasanton. Your remarks to Karl are unnecessarily rude and your accusation of his being annoying is clearly the pot calling the kettle black. It is tempting to suggest you go pick fights in your own community and leave ours alone, but that would be dropping to your level, so I'l resist the temptation.
I will say this whole thread has become annoying. Karl, your headcount over a 5-mile stretch actually doesn't sound unreasonable. Each category you mentioned involves people moving quickly past one another, in the great out-of-doors, at not close proximity nor for an extended period of time in an enclosed area. All are low risk and don't deserve the level of criticism you've assigned.
If you want to talk "City of Character", I must respectfully say your remarks fail to meet the standard of the kind of character I expect from my community.
We're all under duress, our tempers are short, we're living with many uncertainties, but that's no excuse to be at each other's throats.
Good for you, Karl, for doing the daily 5 miles, but try lightening up and next time a runner or cyclist passes, with or without a mask, try just giving a quick wave or nod of your head and just keep on walking. No need to say anything, the simple acknowledgment is quite enough.
The Weekly is trying to get a return to civility by requiring registration. It is a good thing, and can help all of us remember what traits have made us such a desirable city in which to live. And hopefully to quit sniping at one another. That's not a desirable characteristic we ought to be passing along to our children and grandchildren. We really are supposed to be better than that.

Pleasanton Parent
Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 1, 2020 at 12:14 am
Pleasanton Parent, Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 1, 2020 at 12:14 am
4 people like this

Karl,
Maybe you shouldn’t walk outside. Seems you’ve identified its more practical for one person (Yourself) to maintain quarantine than control the behavior of 26 people. Or is you singular interest more important than 26, peoples?

Jake Water
Birdland
on Aug 2, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Jake Water, Birdland
on Aug 2, 2020 at 6:20 pm
7 people like this

I will say it again, as many of you repeat your same comments as well: First, me wearing a mask has nothing to do with your safety, because you are wearing a mask, so by your convoluted logic you are safe. Secondly, your ‘magic cotton masks’ do not provide you any safety whatsoever. Thirdly, don’t try and scare us with a fine. Different rules in different counties up and down the state, some people get exemptions because they are rioters and protestors, some are medically exempt for whatever they want to be-easy to get, and the list goes on. Present practice by law enforcement is going to make it difficult. Sure, if I’m asked by an officer to put one on-I will. But I will have to be asked each time. You mask Nazi’s can point at us and mumble incoherent comments as in ‘The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers,’ but we will ignore you.

So if ‘Flip-Flop Fauci’ tells you to wear goggles, and he is suggesting that, are you going to wear them? If he tells you to walk on your hands- you going to obey?

James Michael
Val Vista
on Aug 2, 2020 at 8:32 pm
James Michael, Val Vista
on Aug 2, 2020 at 8:32 pm
5 people like this

I'm thinking that the mask has become the new hoodie ( you all remember that crap, right?). I wear a mask to go into stores only because I don't want to cause problems for the workers there not because I think that they are magical because they do have their limits. I don't wear a mask outside running, walking or cycling. If masks really had an impact then they would have imposed their use three months ago. A recent series of photos of Fauci at a baseball game just about sums it all up!

Gary kirscher
Del Prado
on Aug 3, 2020 at 11:32 am
Gary kirscher, Del Prado
on Aug 3, 2020 at 11:32 am
20 people like this

Mask wearing,

Some how a segment of our society has become confused in thinking that all personal behavior is a constitutionally protected right. All rights and laws of our nation have a fundamental principle, that no action may harm another. The science behind mask wearing is that if you are not wearing a mask then you are a possible victim and a person who may be propagating the virus. So by not wearing a mask you are not only violating a civil ordinance but are violating a moral responsibility to keep your fellow citizens safe.
In the case of the women downtown who was not wearing a mask because of a medical reason then I believe she does not need to wear a mask. The conflict is because of a medical exemption does she have the right to sit in a crowded public gathering without a mask? I believe she may have the right to not wear a mask but she can not extend that principal to cover not wearing a mask in all circumstances. She needs to accept personal responsibility and channel her political activism into areas that do not endanger others.
When I was downtown at farmers market I was so proud to see all the people , except two, were wearing masks. I’m proud to be a citizen of a community who’s members show such a high level of character.

Jackie C
Livermore
on Aug 3, 2020 at 12:42 pm
Jackie C, Livermore
on Aug 3, 2020 at 12:42 pm
3 people like this

Not surprised the writer got it totally wrong since she is 100% biased and so were her questions and she made zero attempts to contact us, the actual people who were at the table, supporting candidates NOT representing anyone and who were VERBALLY ASSAULTED BY MASKHOLES. FAKE NEWS... BUT of course it's not about masks. Open your mind to the POSSIBILITY......

In 4 months, the U.S. transformed into an obedient socialist country. Government dictated what events are acceptable to attend. Violent protests that instill fear are OK
but church services, family funerals and patriotic celebrations are dangerous. And you bought it without a fight.

Standing in a graduation line is a "safety hazard". Small businesses were forced to close but crowds to support the corporate money machine at WalMart, Lowes and Home Depot are OK.

Come on. It's "just a mask" & "safety precautions".

How about a little hush money. Here's $2,400 that we stole out of your pay check in the first place. Enjoy. Buy something with it. From a big corporation.

Cash is dirty. We can't give change. There's a coin shortage. Use your card. In 4 months, they convinced you to use a traceable card for everything.

In less than 4 months, government closed public schools then "restructured" education under the guise of "public safety". In less than 4 months, our government demonstrated how easily people assimilate to "guidelines" that have NO scientific premise whatsoever when you are fearful.

In less than 4 months, our government successfully instilled fear in a majority of the population in America that allows them to control every aspect of your life.. Including what you eat, where you go, and who you see.

And the most dangerous and terrifying part? People are not afraid of the government who removed their freedom. They're afraid of their neighbors, family and friends.

And they hate those who won't comply.

It’s absolutely terrifying to me that so many people don't question "authority". They are willing to surrender their critical thinking skills and independence. They just... gave up without thinking. Without a fight.

Do you know what's coming next?
"It's just a vaccine. Come on. It's for the greater good".

Wait until you're told that you can't enter any store or business without proof of the Covid-19 vaccine. Wait until you can't go to public events or get on a plane without proof of receiving the vaccine.

To everyone that doesn't believe this is possible - DO YOU UNDERSTAND that government successfully dictated to people WHEN they were allowed to be outside, where they were allowed to go, and how their children would be educated in less than 4 months? And that a majority of the population followed blindly because they were told to do so.

You're kidding yourself if you think this behavior won't be repeated with a vaccine. Or whatever the next step is.

"I don't follow politics."
"Who cares about that stuff?"
"I don't like to think about it."
6 million Jews were exterminated in Germany Because 97% of the population cowered to populist control. Nobody wanted to think about it. It's easier to just ignore it.

But that couldn't happen here, right?

Kathleen Ruegsegger
Vintage Hills
on Aug 3, 2020 at 1:15 pm
Kathleen Ruegsegger, Vintage Hills
on Aug 3, 2020 at 1:15 pm
11 people like this

Jackie C, those are quite the theories you have posted. I wear a mask only when I’m headed into a store or restaurant. Otherwise, when I’m on a walk or at the restaurant, the mask is off. There are 150,000 dead people who would argue with you if they could. Wear a mask when it’s called for—it’s not asking too much and it is nowhere near what anyone faced in WWII.

BobB
Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 3, 2020 at 1:27 pm
BobB, Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Aug 3, 2020 at 1:27 pm
14 people like this

To the anti-vaccine people. Please go away. Real lives are at stake.

sjd
Livermore
on Aug 3, 2020 at 2:05 pm
sjd, Livermore
on Aug 3, 2020 at 2:05 pm
12 people like this

Hayden is a full-on QAnon, vaccine conspiracy, pedophile puppetmasker theory person. That's all straight out of her own twitter account.

It's quite sad that such an educated person could fall down the rabbit hole like she has.

I hope she's rejected at the ballot box.

Jackie C
Livermore
on Aug 3, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Jackie C, Livermore
on Aug 3, 2020 at 2:17 pm
5 people like this

and you keep on wearing a mask... it does nothing for you ... even the back of the box says so.. and that 150K number is padded with false positives .. the only people who believe this are those of you who believe the propaganda .. they have you scared of your own shadow and you feel empowered to bully people, even those with medical conditions, with your fear... it's sad to see grown adults sign up to be manipulated puppets but at least democrats know who they can control.. that's what it's really about.. [Portion removed for disrespectful language] ... 1.5 million people died last year from tuberculosis ... why weren't you wearing a mask then? you were subjecting millions of people to your bacteria.. why were you being responsible and wearing a mask? laughable..

Pleasanton Parent
Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 3, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Pleasanton Parent, Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 3, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Like this comment

BobB,
While I don't agree with the anti-vaccination crowd - unless under a very specific dr ordered reason not to. I'm also not going to be running to the front of the line for a COVID vaccination, nor will my kids. Now, after a period of time on the market absolutely. But I can't imagine a scenario where it was fully tested and impacts fully understood - especially for developing children. Will you be first in line with your kids and grandkids?

I agree with Kathleen, as I think most of America has landed; there is a general understanding, comprehension of the benefits in crowded and indoor areas, but outdoors the mandate looses its meaning as the probability becomes so low. When you start making rules based on low probabilities, you're going to lose middle America and dilute the meaning behind them.