Dublin police are reminding the public to be extra cautious during this heavy holiday shopping period.
Shoppers should report any suspicious activity to the police department and remember to follow holiday safety tips:
• When shopping, park your car in a well-lit area.
• Do not leave packages, shopping bags or valuables in plain view inside your car.
• Lock your packages, gifts, and valuables in your vehicle’s trunk. If your car does not have a trunk, be certain valuables are out of sight or concealed so they cannot be easily identified.
• While inside stores, never place packages on floors or counters or leave them unattended when purchasing additional items.
• Parked cars should have all windows tightly closed and all doors locked. Always have your car keys readily available in your hand before you walk to your car, and scan interior of your car to be sure no one is hiding inside.
• Always be aware of your surroundings. Be cautious of strangers approaching you for any reason. Criminals may try various methods of distraction with the intent of taking money or belongings.
• Women should carry purses under their arms, and men should carry wallets in an inside coat pocket or front pants pocket.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Whenever possible, pay for purchases with checks or credit cards.
Dublin police also will deploy extra staff to conduct a Holiday Crime Suppression Detail. The operation targets crime trends that are common during the holiday season. The increase in staff includes marked and unmarked patrol vehicles and officers on foot patrol and bicycles.
Dublin Police can be reached at 925-462-1212 (Dispatch) and (925) 833-6670.