News

Hosterman seeking election to BART board

Will compete for District 5 seat against incumbent director John McPartland

Former Pleasanton Mayor Jennifer Hosterman is seeking election to the BART board of directors for District 5 on Nov. 8.

The District 5 seat is currently held by John McPartland, whose term expires in December and is seeking re-relection in the Nov. 8 General Election.

District 5 includes the cities of Pleasanton, Dublin and Livermore and parts of Hayward and unincorporated areas of Alameda County.

The BART stations in this district are Dublin/Pleasanton East at Hacienda, Dublin/Pleasanton West at Stoneridge Mall, Castro Valley and Hayward.

"In my service as mayor of Pleasanton for eight years, I worked on many issues: transportation, land use, housing, jobs, air quality, water quality and supply, and most importantly, worked to improve the well-being of the people of Pleasanton and surrounding communities," said Hosterman, who is now a real estate professional in Pleasanton.

In her BART election campaign statement, Hosterman said:

"This experience has well-prepared me to serve as a director of BART's district 5. BART is the most important transportation infrastructure in the Bay Area, moving 126 million people across the Bay annually. Truly, BART is in large part the backbone of our regional economy.

"But, at the age of 43, BART is in need of update and repair. And ultimately, BART needs to connect more people, efficiently, sustainably and justly. This means more track, more trains, and more stations.

"District 5 wants BART connected to ACE. I am committed to supporting that objective. I believe that my experience and vision will contribute to a BART system that is greener, cleaner, accessible to cyclists and pedestrians, and considers impacts to vulnerable communities."

Comments

34 people like this
Posted by David
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Aug 12, 2016 at 9:25 am

David is a registered user.

A concern or question should be Ms Hosterman's sympathy with labor and BART employee unions. We all know the system suffers in great part due to $$$ employee contracts and inefficiencies.

6 people like this
Posted by Wondering
a resident of Stoneridge
on Aug 12, 2016 at 9:30 am

I want BART connected to ACE, too. That's a great idea for our community. I hope she is successful. I am thankful someone cares enough to get these important things done. BART needs all the help it can get. I commute every work day on BART and it has consistently gone down through the years. Let's make it better for everyone.

14 people like this
Posted by Jim Van Dyke
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Aug 12, 2016 at 9:48 am

Jennifer is an outstanding candidate that has an opportunity to make yet another important contribution on behalf of all of us. I admire the way she takes positions that represent the long term good of the community and area, rather than just thinking exclusively about immediate needs.

As I always repeatedly on this forum, those who make criticisms of another without leaving their full names are cowards. If you criticize someone but don't leave your full name, you missed a vital life-lesson somewhere in your upbringing (I'm looking at you, Bill, 'ordinary Joe', David', surely you can contribute something of value...)

Best of success, Jennifer!

6 people like this
Posted by Don
a resident of Ironwood
on Aug 12, 2016 at 10:05 am

Don is a registered user.

I find it cruel to see some comments that are uncalled for regarding Mrs. Hosterman. I beg to differ with such negative comments and it very evident that they are probably politically motivated comments from Republicans. She has been called all kinds of names over the years so I know this strong woman has learned to overlook such things. I worked under her while she was Mayor, on one of the City Commissions and I found her knowledge of issues to be fair and just.

3 people like this
Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Aug 12, 2016 at 10:44 am

Maybe she can convince BART to sell the remaining vacant property they own and load them up with more housing! Been here almost 50 years and her 8 years as mayor really didn't do us any good and Thorne has managed to carry on that legacy, HELP!

17 people like this
Posted by another view
on Aug 12, 2016 at 10:45 am

@Don--" comments that are uncalled for regarding Mrs. Hosterman"

I have had significant personal experience with hosterman and her lies. She led many people to think that she would review a particular problem and ultimately decide to follow the law. In fact, she ruled in the exact opposite manner and was finally told by several senior managers that she did not have the authority to simply ignore the law in that case but she was required to uphold it. A person who was in authority, and had the legal duty to uphold the law, was advocating an illegal and unsafe resolution to the issue. Is that really who you think should be in any position at all to be in charge of anything more important than playing with her falcon?

8 people like this
Posted by David
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Aug 12, 2016 at 11:05 am

David is a registered user.

Asking a question regarding her position on labor and employee unions is fair. TO JIM VAN DYKE, your uncalled for rant and nasty comments is THE reason I prefer to ask questions anonymously.

10 people like this
Posted by DKHSK
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Aug 13, 2016 at 11:55 am

DKHSK is a registered user.

Ahhhh the allure of sweet, sweet government payroll...!

Dems love themselves taxpayer money.

Dan

14 people like this
Posted by res1
on Aug 14, 2016 at 12:20 pm

res1 is a registered user.

We need somebody on the BART board that is a watchdog for the people and not a cheerleader for the public unions. Hosterman will be a disaster to our already troubled BART system with the excessive power and pay to the unions.

It should also be noted that while Hosterman was the mayor and on many regional boards that she appointed herself for, she neglected to go to the board meetings to represent the citizens of Pleasanton. The regional boards were just something for her resume.

I thought BART could not get any worse but it looks like I was wrong.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: "Taming Your Gremlin" by Richard Carson
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,081 views

Thoughts on the state of the economy
By Tim Hunt | 1 comment | 397 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form