Planning Commission chairman Ritter to seek Pleasanton City Council seat

Plans to 'do all I can to preserve small town feel while driving positive change in Pleasanton'

Herb Ritter, chairman of the Pleasanton Planning Commission, announced Friday that he will seek a seat on the City Council in the community election Nov. 8.

He made the announcement at a meeting of the Rotary Club of Pleasanton North, where he also is a past president.

Ritter also announced his candidacy Thursday at a campaign launch breakfast at the Alameda County Fairgrounds for Councilman Jerry Pentin, who announced his bid for re-election to the council on Nov. 8.

Ritter told both groups that if elected to the council, he will work with the school district to improve education, drive economic vitality and promoting "smart engagement" on the environment.

"Pleasanton needs engaged, collaborative and decisive leaders who come to the table bringing both experience and creative approaches," he said.

"Building on my experience, civic leadership, and 'roll up my sleeves' attitude over the past decade, I look forward to serving our increasingly diverse Pleasanton population as a trusted voice, but more importantly as an active listener both on the City Council and around town," Ritter added.

Ritter said moving to Pleasanton from Washington State 26 years ago was "critical" to his success in life, and that he feels strongly about giving back to the community.

"My passion and care run deep for this amazing community," he said. "It's never been my intention to get into politics, yet by serving on the council I can increase my engagement with decision-making in the city and make more significant, enduring contributions to public service."

He continued: "I want to do all I can to preserve our small town feel while driving positive change in Pleasanton, making it an even better place to work, live, raise a family, and retire. I'm all for smart planning for a better city for today and tomorrow."

Ritter said he is planning a public event June 23 to officially launch his campaign for election to the Pleasanton City Council. For more information, sign on to Ritter's campaign web site at

11 people like this
Posted by Alexis B
a resident of Mission Park
on May 31, 2016 at 9:46 am

Alexis B is a registered user.

Herb Ritter is a great guy and will do an amazing job on the city council. He definitely has our vote!

9 people like this
Posted by Mike Cheney
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 31, 2016 at 10:18 am

Herbs got my Vote! Great guy and understands how to get things done. Go Herb!

7 people like this
Posted by Tanya Ludden
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 31, 2016 at 10:36 am

Herb you have my VOTE!

6 people like this
Posted by PW Reader
on May 31, 2016 at 11:47 am

Jeb, note that Herb is not the current president of Pleasanton North Rotary. The current president is Ed Golden. Herb was president of PNR back in 2001-2002.

We support Herb's campaign for Pleasanton City Council and wish him the best of luck!

2 people like this
Posted by Benjamin Bradford
a resident of Valley View Elementary School
on May 31, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Herb is a great guy. He has my vote for sure!

12 people like this
Posted by Patriot
on May 31, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Let's have specifics Herb. Are we in a drought? What will you do? More development? Do you support Costco in Pleasanton. Just some of my interests.

8 people like this
Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on May 31, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Michael Austin is a registered user.

Patriot, Good Questions:

I have met with Herb Ritter on the Foot Hill High School Football field at a time when he was over seeing the installation of the new score board. Herb worked, leading the boosters and acquired A new score board for the school. I posted several blogs regarding Herb, the boosters, the new score board.

Soon after, when Herb was appointed to the city planning commission, I sent an email to Herb that he did not respond to. My questions for Herb in that email I sent June 25, 2014 are:

What is your take on the water emergency taking place in Pleasanton?
What is your take on development in light of the drought?
Do you have thoughts, ideas, towards planning for long term drought?

Unfortunately, Herb did no respond to my questions.

I have a tendency to want to support Herb, he has worked hard in the community and has contributed a lot to the community. I agree, he needs to take a position on the questions.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: “Everything is a gift of the universe . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 850 views

Fighting to wipe out changing our clocks

How Well Is Your High School Preparing Your Student for College