2 new traffic lights OK'd for Amador Valley High's parking lot on Santa Rita

Traffic-actuated signals designed to ease peak school hour congestion

Two new traffic lights will be installed this summer on Santa Rita Road in front of Amador Valley High School's main student parking lot to improve safety for motorists entering and leaving the school.

The $507,366 project was authorized by the Pleasanton City Council as part of its traffic signal priority list.

The signals, which will stop traffic on Santa Rita only when vehicles trigger sensors in the turn and exit lanes for the middle and north driveways to the parking lot. The new signals will add to the one already in place in front of the Amador Theater that is triggered by pedestrians crossing Santa Rita.

To improve traffic flow, the parking lot's middle driveway will be widened to add an additional outbound left turn lane.

8 people like this
Posted by wondering
a resident of Stoneridge
on Mar 23, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I think that the West Dublin-Pleasanton BART Station area needs a traffic light for cars exiting the parking lot. How do I go about getting that done?

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasantonian
a resident of Mission Park
on Mar 23, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Pleasantonian is a registered user.

I had always heard that a traffic light can't go in unless there is an intersecting street. Don't know if that is true or not.

Like this comment
Posted by Kimbery
on Mar 23, 2016 at 5:02 pm

would love to see a lighted crosswalk at the intersection of Pleasanton avenue@W. angela street. I don't know how many times I have almost been hit while crossing- Many times in the morning-ACE train people have no respect for pedestrians and haul a** down the street not caring who is in the cross walk. Bad intersection since Alameda county installed that new green fence last year. Cars coming of of Angela (unless you are ina truck or anything that sits higher then a normal car) cannot see anything coming north on P-town avenue without sticking almost all the way into the intersection. by then you are hit.

8 people like this
Posted by Joyce
on Mar 23, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Thank you very much for remedying a truly dangerous area!

6 people like this
Posted by Really?
on Mar 28, 2016 at 11:41 am

Really? We need 2 lights (plus the one that is already there)? There isn't a cheaper option than spending $500,000 for 2 lights? For $50,000 a y6ear I'll go there and manually control the traffic for 1 hour/day when school gets out.

9 people like this
Posted by TTT
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 28, 2016 at 3:08 pm

TTT is a registered user.

How about removing the Iron Horse Trail stop lights on Owens and W. Las Positas. These stop lights are too close to the ones before and after. Owens has become ridiculous with all the stop lights.

2 people like this
Posted by June
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Mar 30, 2016 at 6:34 pm

June is a registered user.

The answer is always just add another signal. Now three lights? I'm all for safety but seems excessive to me. I like Really comment!! Get a teacher or parent to direct traffic instead of a half million dollars! And wait until everyone gets stuck waiting, blocking access to downtown. I heard enrollment will start declining in 2018 which makes this even more a question of why to me. With all the signals and timing set to apparently keep cut through traffic out, it now takes me 25 minutes to get across town and I'm usually amongst other Pleasantonians trying to get to work right here. Again, more signals!

Like this comment
Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Apr 2, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Putting a parent or teacher out there sounds like a good idea until one of them gets run over, those drivers don't pay attention to traffic lights and signs, what makes you think they will pay attention to an unarmed civilian with a hand held sign??? Around here a red light means speed up and run through that intersection and a green light means hold on a minute I have to check my phone!

Like this comment
Posted by Susan
on Apr 2, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Here is a novel thought. Why don't we hire one full time policeman and have them sit on a motorcycle or bike issuing tickets. He or she would be able to generate over $100,000 in tickets per year and also remedy the situation. Putting two lights in is one of the dumbest things I have heard of. There is a light at Black, another after the railroad, and two in front of Amador? That is four stoplight in less than a half mile.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Couples: “Everything is a gift of the universe . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 696 views

Fighting to wipe out changing our clocks

Baker & Glazer: Together again on issues