News

Pleasanton Council expected to award near-$900,000 contract tonight as part of Bernal/I-680 project

Council meeting is only one this month

The Pleasanton City Council is expected to approve a near-$900,000 contract tonight for landscaping work and a gateway monument at the Bernal Avenue/I-680 interchange.

City staff is recommending that the council award the contract to Cleary Brothers Landscape, Inc. of Danville for the work, that will complete the overall interchange improvement project. It has included new exit and on-ramps, a traffic signal and additional traffic lanes on Bernal.

The contract consideration is one of a number of issues before the council at its only July meeting, which will start at 7 p.m. in the council chamber in the Pleasanton Civic Center, 200 Old Bernal Ave.

Comments

6 people like this
Posted by Bill
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jul 21, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Seems like you would fix the problems with the improvements before landscaping. And landscaping during a drought? The turning lanes from Bernal onto southbound i680 are not acceptable for commute traffic. The left turn lane radius from westbound Bernal is too short. I have seen several buses that make the left turn from the outside turning lane almost take out cars that are turning left from the inside lane. It is impossible for a bus to make the turn from the inside lane without crossing into the outside lane. There should be a protected lane for cars turning right onto the onramp. A car making a right turn will start to pull out of the intersection realizing too late that a car making a left turn from the outside lane is heading right for them.

2 people like this
Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Jul 21, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Caltrans engineers forever coming up with new surprises for us, and to think they get paid big bucks for their screw ups ( bay bridge, W580 to S680 and my favorite was the diamond lane on westbound Dublin grade years ago with the raised pavement. That lasted about 15 minutes before they ripped it all out!!! Of course who can forget the roundabout on vineyard that the city put in then ripped out maybe 20 minutes later after learning the Ruby hill people couldn't take the time to slow down for that obstacle!!! Who's supplying the water for that new landscaping at bernal and 680???

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Just give me $100 worth of spray paint to add diamonds to 680n

5 people like this
Posted by woggut
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm

woggut is a registered user.

The city wants Rage and Ballistic United to kick in $2 million for all weather, lighted fields in the new Bernal park but they're dropping $900K on landscaping an interchange? Don't see any landscaping at 680/Sunol, 580/680, only the business park exits. Seems our priorities are off. We're the only city in the Tri_Valley without all weather fields.
How much did the various theater groups have to kick in for the Firehouse Arts Center, and then there's the Alviso Adobe boondoggle. I suspect this is a "gateway to downtown" project to make the commercial property owners happy. Why don't they pay for it?

Like this comment
Posted by ????
on Jul 22, 2015 at 11:50 am

Parent, I assume you meant you want to cover over diamonds.
?I need help on crazy SOUTH 680 rules for use !! Driving to Carmel at 12 noon Fri, I was confused by all the entry/ no entry signs. I thought 'I paid for this insanity, am I allowed to use it?? The left lanes were EMPTY and others full. I thought, that empty space should not be allowed, while others are full. Crazy politicians! I didn't see any hours posted (like diamond lanes) which I assumed that meant 'always'. Could that possible be so??? If so, very misappropriated tax dollars!

6 people like this
Posted by Bill
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jul 22, 2015 at 12:27 pm

@???? i680 Express Lane operates from 5am to 8pm, Monday-Friday, and is free on the weekends and other times as posted on the overhead Express Lane Fee highway sign just after you past Hwy 84. Just remember that once you are in the Express Lane you cannot cross into the non-express lane except at authorized express lane exit points, i.e. Mission Blvd south, Jacklin, and Hwy 237 (Calaveras). Blame Scott Haggerty, county supervisor, for this idiotic solution to traffic congestion. Southbound i680 was great until the Express Lane was built. It has now become a standing joke among commuters.

5 people like this
Posted by Chill
a resident of San Ramon
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:35 pm

There are a lot of grumpy people on the Pleasanton Weekly Town Square

2 people like this
Posted by ????
on Jul 22, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Bill, Many thanks for the info. You say 'free' on weekends. So 'how' would I even "pay' to use the lane for my rare '12 noon FRI' weekend departures. It really could not be a worse nightmare, Shame on Scott!!!! Damn politicians, Why can't they allow people to adapt and adopt their own adjustments. I use to commute daily down 680, flying in the left lane every mile of my 50 minute trip. Now, I'm not allowed to use at 12 noon to head South on a Friday ???? As a taxpayer, I find that disgusting and thoughtless. Why would afternoons be restricted?? isn't it for commute hours?? I'll vote NO on Scott Haggerty next time. His elitist and cruel to youth No on Carnegie dirtbike trail vote last month made me want to bail on him...it's for certain now.

Like this comment
Posted by Pleasanton Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 23, 2015 at 11:16 pm

No. I have an EV, I want a diamond lane going north on 680.

Like this comment
Posted by Dennis Dougherty
a resident of Golden Eagle
on Aug 29, 2015 at 7:25 am

I'm glad that the work is being awarded to a local contractor. It's frustrating when dollars roll away or go out of state. The Cleary Bros are a good group of people. The did some work for our HOA this spring and it was clock work. I'm looking forward to a smoother flow of traffic in the afternoon.

Like this comment
Posted by Alex
on Aug 29, 2015 at 11:08 am

@Dennis - I agree

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Wrapping up a 100-year-old detective job

Couples: “It’s Not My Problem. It’s Your Problem.”
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 832 views

Livermore's Marchand, aka the mayor of Seville, seeks re-election
By Jeb Bing | 6 comments | 461 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form