News

Pleasanton school board discusses homework survey results

LCAP, budget approved during Tuesday's meeting

The Pleasanton school board heard a report on the 2015 homework survey results Tuesday night, the last meeting of the 2014-15 school year.

The homework survey -- given to students, teachers and parents/guardians -- was conducted from February 6 through March 3.

According to staff reports, the survey findings focus on the amount of time spent on homework according to what students, staff and parents reported.

The Homework Board Policy & Regulations 6154 -- adopted on June 17, 2014 -- states the amount of homework assigned to students should be different in elementary, middle and high school. In addition, the grade level guidelines of the policy are intended to apply to the needs of all students, but time allocations are targets toward the average student.

Staff reports said the survey received: 845 responses out of 6,374 elementary students, 1,674 responses out of 8,272 secondary students, 322 responses out of 644 teacher, and 1,763 responses from parents/guardians.

The general findings from elementary students show that the amount of time they are spending per night on homework is within the policy guidelines – which is 10-20 min per night for K-1st grade, 20-30 minutes for 2nd-3rd and 40-50 minutes for 4th-5th.

The survey report also shows that K-3rd grade teachers reported that the amount of time they are assigning per night on homework is within the policy guidelines, while 4th-5th grade teachers are assigning slightly less than policy guidelines.

In addition, K-2nd grade parents reported the amount of time spent on homework is within the policy guidelines, whereas 3rd-5th grade parents report an amount slightly above policy guidelines.

At the secondary level, middle school parents and students reported working slightly above the average amount of time per night, no more than 15 minutes per subject, for homework. Middle school teachers report that the amount of time they are assigning per night is slightly over policy guidelines.

In the high schools, parents and students reported working above the average amount of time, no more than 20 minutes per subject, per night on homework. Teachers reported assigning the amount within policy guidelines.

According to staff, the next steps include sharing the data with site administrators and requesting them to work collaboratively with their staff on fully implementing the Homework Policy.

In addition, staff is set to look at exploring possible facilitation of focus groups to further discuss the Homework Policy with students, parents/guardians and certificated and classified staff.

Trustee Joan Laursen noted at the end of the discussion that advanced placement classes are not covered by the Homework Policy and directed staff to find a way to eliminate any survey results that included time spent on AP class homework.

Trustee Mark Miller suggested to staff to look at consequences for teachers that continuously assign more than the amount specified in the Homework Policy.

Other suggestions from Trustee Valerie Arkin included: allowing students to do homework during class, not having homework graded, and coordinating with other teachers when projects and tests will occur.

In other business:

* Three parents addressed the board about their support for Foothill High principal Jason Krolikowski and his decision to hire Dale Hazen as the head wrestling coach, which was included as a consent agenda item Tuesday night.

"Make sure you support the leaders you hire," said Herb Ritter.

Following community comment, the board unanimously approved the personnel document.

Trustee Mark Miller recognized the divide this topic has caused within the community and said, " I'd hope the people involved will work together in the overall goal of what's best for the kids."

Hazen will be succeeding Bennie Lafever, who has coached the team the past eight seasons.

The reason for Lafever's departure is unclear. Krolikowski said in an interview that he could not discuss why Lafever is no longer with the school, citing personnel rules.

* Trustees unanimously approved the adoption of the FY 2015-16 budget.

The following changes were made to the proposed budget, which was presented to trustees as a first reading during the June 9 meeting:

Special education program funding was increased by $88,000 to fund a portion of the additional psychologists and behaviorists positions;

PUSD transferred an additional $337,000 to the Special Reserve Fund for Fund 17 (Other than Capital Outlay Projects) to recapture payments for the Other Post Employment Benefits (OPEB) from the General Fund; and,

PUSD increased the contribution to the Routine Restricted Maintenance Account (RRMA) by $0.7 million when compared to FY 2014-15, among other changes.

During the budget discussion's public hearing, Kristine Dean addressed the board about providing monetary support for both high school's music programs.

Dean told trustees that most of the funding comes from outside fundraising or parent donations.

* School board members also unanimously approved the 2015-16 Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) draft, which is a required action under the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF).

According to staff reports, PUSD's LCAP is aligned with state and district priorities to ensure that supplemental funds provided to the school district to support targeted students are expended in a manner to facilitate their academic success.

Targeted students include socio-economically disadvantaged, English learners and foster/kinship youth.

Some of the new areas for supplemental funding include: a Mandarin-speaking district parent liaison, College & Career Readiness Action Plan incentives, a Spanish-speaking social worker, internet-connected Chromebooks, reading/EL support paraprofessionals for K-5, among other areas.

The first school board meeting for the 2015-16 school year is scheduled for August 18.

Comments

23 people like this
Posted by Pete
a resident of Jensen Tract
on Jun 24, 2015 at 8:57 am

every parent and child I've talked with says that they spend at least on average in middle school 2 to 3 hours a night on homework!!! This study was not an anonymous study which I know many parents felt that wasn't something they want to participate in. The school board knows that there's an issue with homework that's why they did the study but, they also need to get out there and talk to parents and talk to students to see the real truth behind the issue. Children should not be doing three hours of homework and carrying backpacks that weigh 50 pounds even though they have a class set of books at home! School-board, I encourage you to talk to the students at the school site and get the real information! let's give kids a chance to be kids

15 people like this
Posted by Juliet
a resident of California Somerset
on Jun 24, 2015 at 9:08 am

I agree with Kristen Dean, we need the school board to help fund music and many other things that the PTA has been covering
I don't agree with the findings of the homework study if you have kids in sports,music, or any type of afterschool activity watching the kids struggle with trying to fit homework in, well it's ridiculous my children shouldn't be up till 10/11 doing homework because they want to play baseball or be in a school play

12 people like this
Posted by Just Me
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 24, 2015 at 9:13 am

(in case you missed my other post)

Brilliance from our school board

Topic: Homework Survey

Trustee Miller: based on my child, we should consider consequences for teachers who repeatedly abuse the homework policy. I'm sure that my child's experience is not unique.

Trustee Arkin: we should do more homework during class time like flipped leaning.

Mr Miller it's fascinating that your ignore the district survey of over 4600 people and base your recommendations in YOUR child experience, ignoring the extensive survey done by parents, staff, teachers, and students.

Ms. Arkin: the purpose of homework is to do it at HOME. That's why it's called homework. It's independent practice continued at HOME. Classwork is done in class with the teachers guidance. I'm afraid the you are also incorrect about Flipped Classroom. Flipped classroom is where students do HOMEwork learning at home and come into the classroom with questions. This is where learning is FLIPPED from the classroom.

Trustees maybe you should do your HOMEwork. You need to understand the basic educational practices before you can set policy.

17 people like this
Posted by Nancy
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:09 am

Learning is a whole lot more than meeting hourly policy requirements. Sorry to hear how important teachers and students time measurements are ito meet administrative policy.

Research shows that excessive practice is waisted time. For example doing 20 math problems of the same type has no more learning value than doing 4 problems of that type.

Bring the fun back into learning

8 people like this
Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:30 am

My daughter goes to Hart and copes with her homework way differntly that I did when I was her age. She'll spend 2-3 hours per night doing homework but while she's studying she's also changing the music she's listening to, or changing the video that's playing on the computer, or she searches up something on Google that comes to mind, or she gets up to eat and take a break, then returns and begins again. At the outset she knows how much time she'll need to finish and works in everything else so by the end of the night she's done.

I'd power through the whole thing in a silent room with no iterruptions and not stop until I'm finished but she's different and as long as her grades are A's and B's I'm not going to stress.

6 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:39 am

My kid at PMS didn't do any where near that much homework last year. Maybe 1 - 1.5 hours per day average. There was still plenty of time for music, sport, and fun. It was less than I had a college prep school when I was in middle school.

In my opinion, if anything needs to change at PUSD, we need tougher, more demanding classes and tests. The grading also seems to be bit lenient.

I acknowledge that some students work at a slower pace, and PUSD may need to do more to accommodate them, but I think it would be a mistake to slow everyone else down.

7 people like this
Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:54 am

I wouldn't worry about the quality of education here, the graduation rates of Foothill and Amador are close to 100%.
As far as quality goes when my son joined the Army Reserves 2 years ago while still at Foothill, he had to take the military ASVAB test which measures your abilities in math and English, and he scored very highly despite being a B and C student. The point is that even though he wasn't a Rhodes Scholar, his experience with PUSD (kinder through Foothill) put him far ahead of many others who weren't from this area.
His recruiter told him that he could have any job he wanted in the Army due to his score.

15 people like this
Posted by Just flawed
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 24, 2015 at 11:39 am

Another skewed survey that does not represent reality brought to you by our sponsor PUSD. First of all sounds like "just me" above seems to have some sort of ax to grind against selected board members. I am happy Miller unseated Bowser and agree with his comments along with Arkin's. Teachers should spend 90 percent of class time teaching and not surfing the net. High schools should have a block schedule with longer class times or a hybrid block schedule. Some classes should meet M W F and some T Th. Long Term projects should be approved by the board as part of course outline approvals so that each school provides each pupil a roughly equivalent workload. One of my children spent 55 hours of homework time on a history day project that is only assigned at hart and in 2 classes at harvest park. The time commitment was completely unreasonable. The board needs to step in and put an end to abusive projects like this one.

4 people like this
Posted by Get the Facts
on Jun 24, 2015 at 11:51 am

Get the Facts is a registered user.

"Teachers should spend 90 percent of class time teaching and not surfing the net."

Wow, this is insulting. I spend 100% of my in-class time teaching, as do 90% of my coworkers.

2 people like this
Posted by Consumer
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 24, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Ed,

I hate to burst your bubble, but just about everyone "scores highly" on the ASVAB. It's marketing.

4 people like this
Posted by Parent
on Jun 24, 2015 at 1:30 pm

@get the facts, while most teachers engage with students 99% of the time unfortunately there are those few that don't. They surf the net to plan their weddings or leave their classrooms to tend to the athletic teams they coach (these are true stories). Those few ruin it for the majority of fine teachers we have in Pleasanton. These experiences stick in minds of students and parents who have had to deal with the people who shouldn't get to call themselves teachers.

4 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Jun 24, 2015 at 1:40 pm

@Consumer,

At least when I took it, the scores were reported in percentile ranks. So, no not everyone "scores highly".

Like this comment
Posted by Consumer
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 24, 2015 at 4:05 pm

@BobB

Right, same as when I took it. Did you ever get independent verification of your totally awesome rankings, by the way, or did you just believe what the recruiter told you? If you believed what they told you, I bet you scored very highly in the traits they're looking for...

6 people like this
Posted by Just Me
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 24, 2015 at 4:12 pm

@just flawed on what facts do you base your conclusions that the survey was flawed? Like Miller are going on just your personal experience or that you don't like the results? The board information online shows the survey methodology.

As for an ax to grind I have none other than elected officials making stupid unprepared comments. I flipped on the TV to watch he board meeting and as a former teacher found their comments ridiculous. We need elected officials who represent the whole community and not just they ones they talk to. As for Bowser I don't have an opinion either way. All I see is a school district in chaos for poor choices this year that triggered an exodus of the senior management including the superintendent. Disgusted I switched to Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader. It was way more intelligent and educational.

19 people like this
Posted by Just flawed
a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 24, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Any survey done by PUSD has about as much credibility as a Shon Davidsen authored so called investigation report ---- in other words, none. Since Jan 2011 the PUSD has been a total mess. Hopefully the new perm supt will clean house, not rely on a paid coach, and a handful of hack lawyers and substandard cabinet members that have spent $ 1.5 million to date on a union ouster to remove Jon Vranesh.

1 person likes this
Posted by Just Me
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:06 pm

@Just Facts
Wow you are pulling out all of thr troll issues yet without facts or evidence. You respond to my request for evidence of the flawed survey with yet more unsubstantiated accusations bringing in the 80+ page independent report. Do you live in a world that everything is a coordinated conspiracy? I'm not sure what a coach has to do with the superintendent. Are you referring to the wrestling coach at Foothill? Not sure how that relates to the superintendent. I do agree that the district has spent a crazy amount on legal fees. But that has more to do with the ridiculous laws we have in the state to fire a teacher. That's what it costs when you have an irrational teacher pursuing an irrational claim with an irrational lawyer. If any teacher chooses to fight their dismissal it would cost the same amount but most settle with the district and move on. Again you throw out the bait "union ouster" with no evidence nor relevancy to you point. Just troll bait. I guess it's just a flawed argument.

5 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Jun 25, 2015 at 10:51 am

@citizen,

That is ridiculous. And yes, men landed on the moon in 1969.

Like this comment
Posted by AAA
a resident of Beratlis Place
on Jun 25, 2015 at 11:30 pm

@BobB
Who is @citzen?

5 people like this
Posted by Where's Parent Voice?
a resident of Pheasant Ridge
on Jun 26, 2015 at 8:54 am

We actually really do need a process to keep teachers accountable - and if the union has qualms, let them speak but let the public know its the union. Most teachers are reasonable and should understand that learning takes connections with your students - each student having their own set of strengths/weaknesses - and the SHOULD know as PROFESSIONALS how much homework to give, how to teach to learn, how to teach to different learning styles, how to coach, structure lessons, assess where each student stands, provide/monitor interventions - isn't that what they teach them to do in teacher school? Oh and as professionals anothet important thing is that they take accountability for their own professional development and learning - isn't that what other professionals dom isn't that what regular people do? Give the good teachers more time and money for professional development - whatever they need (ask them!). Give bad teachers the boot - what's in the way, seriously? How do you know what makes a good or bad teacher - that's the question we all our board members grappling with and what to do with them. As a parent, I'm not sure I know how, so board members please lay it out for, in plain English what the standards for teaching are in PUSD, how to field/evaluate complaints and what what you plan to do about it, because I guarantee you that there are a few teachers who are clearly should NOT be in the classroom who disparage and antagonize kids and dismiss parents for no other reason than they can.

Like this comment
Posted by BobB
on Jun 26, 2015 at 10:41 am

Oops, I meant "Consumer"

12 people like this
Posted by Frustrated Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Jun 29, 2015 at 5:13 pm

This article infuriates me and is in large part noting incorrect facts regarding the quantity of homework being assigned to our students! I spent the better part of the last 2 school years 2013 – 2015, going to battle with the teachers, counselors and the principal @ PMS and additionally, with the Board of Trustees and Parvin Ahmadi; regarding the overwhelming amount of homework my child was assigned during the 7/8th grades. My child averaged 3-5 hours of homework daily, including weekend homework almost every single weekend during the last 2 years; including homework over spring and winter breaks. I called SST meetings and became one of Pleasanton’s squeakiest parents trying to get someone at the district to hear me and my concerns; the stress being put on my child was unhealthy and unnecessary. I was all but ignored by Ms. Ahmadi as she rattled off her cookie cutter answer that I’m sure she’d given to hundreds of other parents and Ms. Laursen, wow – she was downright rude and disrespectful.

The roll out of common core was a complete disaster and our teachers were unprepared and underwater from the start. I was continually told by the staff @ PMS the “teachers were learning themselves, as they’re teaching the students,” which was unfair to everyone. We have some wonderful teachers in our district and the pressures they were under; filtered down to our kids. There were many PMS teachers were not adhering to the HW policy of 15 min per day/per class and as such, due to the curriculum they were forced to instruct. They had deadlines to meet and had to instruct by the guidelines they were given. I was told by the counselor to simply “sign-off” that my child had completed 15 minutes worth of homework. Although if the assignment wasn’t completed in full, only receive partial credit would be given for the assignment; which was unacceptable for a kid who was working to maintain honor roll status.

I was encouraged by counselors and teachers within our district to contact our local assemblywoman and congressman to express the issues with our district. I did contact each of them and sadly, 4 months later and I’ve yet to receive a response to my concerns. Same goes for our State Superintendent of Education in Sacramento, whom I contacted at the same time and thus far, crickets from all of them! I spoke with many, many parents who shared a story similar to mine and regardless of countless phone calls, written emails and meeting we attended; nothing changed. Of course the new homework survey came out, but frankly I don’t trust the results. I’m praying with the appointment of our new Superintendent, the Board of Trustees will see fit to put the students’ well-being above their personal and self-serving motives.

3 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Jun 29, 2015 at 10:20 pm

@Frustrated,

Bear in mind that there are also parents who would like to see more homework assigned, or at least more challenging homework (not just more busy work). As was said on another blog, you can't please everyone.

4 people like this
Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jun 30, 2015 at 8:00 am

Has anyone noticed that the number of tutoring schools/companies has been rising?
Our friends whose kids are "A" students regularly attend tutoring schools in town to stay ahead of the ball.
I always considered tutoring as something needed for those who are struggling to keep up but more and more I'm hearing about kids like our friends who are doing well and want to do better.
There seem to be tutoring schools all around town now.
In addition to the homework received by PUSD these kids get more work after school from the tutor.
They aren't cheap but judging by how many there are I guess that isn't a worry to many.

8 people like this
Posted by Frustrated Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Jun 30, 2015 at 8:46 am

@ BobB - Yes, I was told by the principal that for every 10 parents that complained to her about their kids receiving too much homework, she had 15 parents asking for more homework for their kids. She told me "this is what Pleasanton has become now, with all of the folks that are moving into town, specifically for our school district." I do not have a problem with homework, what I have a problem with is my 8th grader coming home and having to spend over 60 minutes coloring worksheets. I also want my kids to have a balanced life and for them to not only enjoy school, but to also enjoy spending time doing extra curricular activities, sports, youth group, time with friends. While I understand not everyone can be pleased, I still am adamantly against 3-5 hours of nightly homework. The stress my child endured was insane and the meltdowns in tears because of sheer exhaustion and being overwhelmed were heartbreaking. A 12-13 y/o kid should not have to ensure this level of stress at such a young age and the studies have shown and are published, this level of stress leads teens into trying to soothe their stress in unhealthy forms (ie: drugs, alcohol, getting involved w/the wrong groups of friends etc.), which will never to lead to anything good or productive for these young kids.

@ Ed - I have numerous friends who've had their kids in special tutoring, simply to be able to grasp the common core math the was rolled out this year. Parents were/are paying upwards of $60/hr so their kids can simply understand the basic math, that is supposed to be taught in our public school district. We pay enough in taxes, school donations, PPIE donations etc., that we should not be hiring tutors. Not to mention, what about the parents that cannot afford to incur this type of expense? What happens to those kids and their grades? As of January 2015, 20% of PMS students were failing math due to the poor roll out of the CC math curriculum and the school was scrambling to find a remedy. It was a complete mess! Teachers and students were floundering and Parvin Ahmadi provided little to no assistance, she simply rattle on that the district provided "so much" training for the teachers etc. I have several friends who are teachers in PUSD and they've all told me the same thing: the new core curriculum was thrown at them w/almost no ramp up time or training! Parvin and the district pushed the roll out without proper and adequate training for the teachers, because PUSD wanted the funding that came with the roll out. The sooner they rolled it out to our schools, the sooner they received money. Their pocket books came before the best interest of the students.

4 people like this
Posted by Consumer
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 30, 2015 at 11:09 am

@frustrated parent:

I sympathize with your situation. Yes, too much stress on a 12-13 y/o can be damaging in very many ways, and I'm sorry your student has gone through such a negative experience.

However, you've said many things that are puzzling and at time erroneous. To begin with, Parvin Ahmadi, whatever her merits, did not invent nor schedule the roll-out of Common Core. Second, how much you pay in taxes, PPIE, etc. really has nothing to do with whether or not your child needs tutoring. I understand that it's expensive to live in Pleasanton, and you've chosen to do so, I expect, of your own free will. You don't come across very mature when you then complain about that cost and seem to suggest that tutoring fees should be waived or tutors should not be necessary due to your expenditures elsewhere. Thirdly, the reality of college admissions and professional opportunities to maintain upper-middle-class status IS very competitive and stressful. If your child's education did not prepare for them to compete, wouldn't you complain about that, too?

Finally--and I don't mean to come across as rude--but the histrionic way you've been phrasing your posts here suggests that maybe both you and your child are a little highly strung. Have you talked to other parents about their perspectives and experiences? I don't mean the echo chamber parents who already share your point of view, but parents who are a little more relaxed and whose kids seem to be able to cope better? My advice is to open up a bit and try to listen to what they have to say.

11 people like this
Posted by Frustrated Parent
a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:02 pm

@Consumer, apologies for my last response being less than clear; I assure you I’m a mature adult :-) I’m simply saying, as a CA taxpayer I expect that the government/state to utilize said tax dollars to provide PUSD and other school districts with the necessary funds needed to operate to ensure proper instruction is provided to our students; as each tax payer pays into this. As a resident of a Pleasanton (a city I choose to live in), I also write multiple checks annually in donations towards to PUSD, which again; I expect our school Superintendent to ensure these funds are used accordingly and provide our teachers with the necessary tools/training required to adequately instruct our students.

My point is that in a highly rated district such as Pleasanton, parents should not need to hire a math tutor in order for their kids to comprehend the very basic 6th grade math course, the same math course that students had no issue comprehending in previous years; prior to common core. However because the new core math program was pushed out quickly, did not provide the teachers with the necessary training and tools they needed to fully comprehend this new way of instruction themselves; our teachers were ill-equipped to instruct and pass this new way of learning down to our students. This was the crux of the issues this year – inadequate implementation of the common core math due to insufficient teacher training; which in turn trickled down to the students’ comprehension of math basics. This issue was explained to hundreds of parents over this past school year by school administrators, hence the reason we were asked by school administrators to contact our local officials for help. I also was free of suggesting that tutoring fees being waived. If kids take advanced or special courses that require additional instruction, then a tutor is a no brainer.

And yes, I’ve spoken to upwards of hundreds of parents, who again echo similar experiences with their students. I don’t care how low key a student or parent is, when each teacher assigns 60+ minutes of homework each night, it makes for a very long evening; after a full day of school. A 12/13 yr old attending school from 8:30a – 3p and then working on homework from 3:30-9p is ridiculous! I would expect a college student to have learned how to manage this level of stress; as they’re far more mature and their brains have developed. Kids who are in 6-8th grades are not developed and mature enough to manage this level of stress. I want my kids to be well rounded and balanced individuals, who experience a variety of activities and life experiences – not only academics. We aren’t a high strung family - I simply expect the district, administrators and teachers to adhere to the homework policy that they created and implemented.

2 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Jun 30, 2015 at 5:32 pm

@Frustrated,

Many Pleasanton parents would be using extra tutoring regardless of how well PUSD was doing in teaching the subjects. I think that is partially a consequence of many new residents moving to Pleasanton for the quality of the schools and raising the level of competitiveness. Parents want to give their kids every competitive advantage they can. I can also say that my middle school kid didn't spend nearly as much time on homework as you say.

Like this comment
Posted by Good
a resident of Castlewood
on Jun 30, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I think more homework is good. Better preparation for college. My children go on Saturday and Sunday also. Good for them and keep out of trouble. High standard good also teach how to deal with pressure.

3 people like this
Posted by ILoveFHS!
a resident of Foothill High School
on Jun 30, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Tutoring centers have existed for years and all offer a range of services to meet different needs. I'd be interested in learning whether enrollment at tutoring centers went up this year with the roll out of common core. My guess is that it did not. Also, I thought it was great that PUSD offered free after school and evening tutoring for students who wanted a place to do their home work with extra help provided by teachers.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Battle over downtown Livermore plan heats up

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 795 views