Firefighters extinguished a fire that burned a Livermore home Monday afternoon.
At 2:25 p.m., fire crews responded to reports of a vegetation fire threatening a structure in the 7600 block of Hawthorne Avenue.
When firefighters arrived, the grass fire had spread to numerous vehicles, mechanical equipment and a single-family home, according to fire officials.
The fire also spread to cargo containers, one of which was filled with tires, which created a large column of dark smoke that could be seen from many miles away, according to fire officials.
Fire crews were able to eventually control the fire, but the home was considered a total loss, fire officials said.
The single occupant of the home was displaced and fire officials said he would be staying with local family members.
The Alameda County Fire Department and Cal Fire assisted in battling the blaze. There were no injuries reported, fire officials said.
The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental and was started when the homeowner was working with metal equipment, which created a spark that spread quickly to dry grass nearby, fire officials said.
Approximately 2 acres of grass burned before the fire was contained, according to fire officials.
Fire officials estimated that the blaze caused about $500,000 in damage.