News

Whole Foods to open Dublin store in May

New market part of retail center that includes

A new 40,000-square-foot Whole Foods Market will open May 20 in a new retail center under construction across Hacienda Drive from Hacienda Crossings at Dublin Boulevard.

Adding to a Whole Foods store already open in San Ramon, it will be the grocer's 43rd location in Northern California, aimed at serving the Pleasanton, Livermore and Dublin market.

The store will bring an estimated 225 jobs to the area, with available jobs to be posted online from March 2 to 22 at www.wholefoodsmarket.com/careers/ Interested candidates should just click "Find and Apply for Jobs" and search for openings at the new Dublin store.

In addition to Whole Foods customary selection of natural and organic products, the Dublin store will offer dining and entertainment, including a pizza venue, tap room, wine tasting area and an outdoor patio with a space for live music and performances. The store will have a "modern farmhouse" look, incorporating reclaimed wood and tin, aged metals and colorful chalkboards.

Allen Culp, who first joined the company in 2009 as a shift leader at Whole Foods Market in Reno, has been hired as the store's team leader. Most recently, he managed the San Ramon store.

"Dublin is home to lots of families, people who love the outdoors, and folks who enjoy a strong sense of community," Culp said. "That's why we're building this store as much as a social spot as a place to buy groceries."

"We want to give local musicians a place to play, a wide selection of trending ingredients to share with friends, and parents and a comfortable, welcoming place to have a quick and easy meal with their kids," Culp added.

Leading the marketing and community relations efforts for the Dublin location is Paul Barron, who started at Whole Foods Market in Novato in the prepared foods department. Barron most recently served as marketing team leader in the Sonoma store.

In Dublin, Barron will oversee local partnerships, sponsorships and charitable giving, such as "5-Percent Days" and "Nickels for Nonprofits." He will also handle marketing, social media and local public relations.

The Whole Foods Dublin team will have a booth at the upcoming St. Patrick's Day festival in Dublin on Saturday and Sunday, March 14-15. Whole Foods representatives will be offering food samples and and staffing a photo booth.

The store is also sponsoring food and beverages for those participating in the city's drink this year's Shamrock 5K Fun Run & Walk on Sunday, March 15.

For updates, customers can follow the store's progress in both the Pleasanton Weekly, Pleasanton Weekly Express and at facebook.com/WholeFoodsMarketDublin/

Comments

4 people like this
Posted by Terri
a resident of Livermore
on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:06 am

What other stores will be going in at the Whole Foods center in Dublin?

Like this comment
Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:26 am

At first I thought "great, another grocery store, just what we need", but after reading the article it sounds pretty cool. Musicians? Outdoor patio with beer and wine?
I've never shopped at Whole Foods but I'll definitely go in to check it out when it opens.
I've heard their prices are high so we'll see

13 people like this
Posted by OrganicMom
a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Feb 26, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I am SO excited about this!! No more driving up to San Ramon to go to Whole Foods Yeah!!

6 people like this
Posted by Francine
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Feb 26, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Whole Foods is a great store....if you can afford it.
I ran into Genes the other day for one quick thing. Hadn't been in there in months.
Talk about high prices. Over $10 for a bottle of Downey Fabric softner. That same thing is under $4 other places. Who in their right mind would choose to pay so much over what other stores charge?
I won't be going back there, not even for one quick thing

6 people like this
Posted by Can't wait!
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Feb 27, 2015 at 8:54 am

I can't wait for this store to open. The Folsom store has a wine bar, beer and outside music. It is the nicest one I've been to. The other anchor stores are supposed to be HomeGoods and Nordstrom Rack. So glad I won't have to go to San Ramon to shop also.

20 people like this
Posted by A Neighbor
on Feb 27, 2015 at 11:03 am

For those of you who want a smaller, more hometown grocery shopping experience along the lines of Whole Foods, I highly recommend the New Leaf store at Bernal and Vineyard. Same organic product lines, excellent service, awesome fresh foods and right here in Pleasanton.

13 people like this
Posted by Shopper
on Feb 27, 2015 at 7:21 pm

That location desperately needs a Chipolte, but I talked with Chipolte Manager when I was buying at 4:40 after completing my Dublin chores & Sprouts shopping,yesterday, and the 'C' Manager said all Hacienda spaces were leased before a shovel was ever turned. That location will be serving neglected Pleasantonians. Chipolte SHOULD be lured to our Kohl center or empty spaces in the southern Rosewood near AutoZone & the new CVS. Why don't we recruit to fill our way too many empty spaces. P-town Chipolte would have lines out the doors. If only we could just get it a bit closer than it is now. Shouldn't we want a few more tax dollars???

4 people like this
Posted by Sam
on Feb 28, 2015 at 10:34 am

I used to shop at the WFM in San Ramon, but decided that it just wasn't worth the drive. If I was a die-hard organics-only type of shopper, then maybe. But I'm not, and I get meat and veggies that are as good or better than WFM, and generally cheaper, here in town at Gene's.

8 people like this
Posted by Sam
on Mar 1, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Two more comments on Gene's. If I needed to buy a bunch of commodities like laundry detergent, toilet paper, or fabric softener, I'd to go Target or Lucky or someplace that seems to always have these things on sale. Most anything else - cans of diced tomatoes, milk, eggs, cookies, whatever - is about the same price at Gene's. It's close enough that it's not worth the drive to another store just to save one dollar.

I've compared the meats and veggies from Gene's, WFM, Lunardi's, and Draeger's, and IMHO Gene's is the same or better, and it's a lot closer.

6 people like this
Posted by mooseturd
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Mar 2, 2015 at 8:24 am

mooseturd is a registered user.

I haven't bought laundry detergent since 2013 when I bought a 15 gallon carboy at Costco. Whole Foods is a terrific market. People who complain about the price just should not go there. It's not meant for you.

7 people like this
Posted by mike
a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:26 am

the problem with this is its in DUBLIN, can we get any cool retail here in P-Town ?

3 people like this
Posted by walker
a resident of Dublin
on Mar 2, 2015 at 10:19 am

Looks like Chipotle is going to be there as well.

The following page lists the tenants that are opening at this place
Web Link

Like this comment
Posted by Ed
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Mar 2, 2015 at 2:08 pm

@Mike - cool retail? Come on, we're getting Chick-fil-a, remember?

7 people like this
Posted by Taco of wisdom
a resident of Livermore
on Mar 21, 2015 at 9:00 am

Still gonna shop at the New Leaf in Pleasanton. Way better than any WFM I've ever been to, especially in produce quality, meat/seafood quality, and employee demeanor... yup, can't think of a reason I need WFM.

2 people like this
Posted by Shopper
on Mar 22, 2015 at 11:45 pm

AHaaa, a well stocked hot foods bar!. yummy. AND, the biggie, a Nordy Rack! Life's good!

Like this comment
Posted by Sam
on Mar 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I used to like the bakery at WFM - the pastries, not the whole fancy cakes - but they've diminished this over the past few years so I don't even go anymore. In particular I liked the Morning Rolls, but as I understand things, they were produced by a small artisan bakery whose owner passed away.

In the meantime, though, I've discovered a new bakery. Filigree, across the parking lot from Papa Murphy's pizza in the shopping center on the northwest side of Valley and Santa Rita. Turnovers, scones, brownies, lemon bars, bread pudding, etc. Very good!

Like this comment
Posted by FnSuite
on Mar 24, 2015 at 8:08 am

I wonder what time the wine bar is open? I like to get my drinking out of the way early.

Like this comment
Posted by connie peterson
a resident of Livermore
on Apr 6, 2015 at 8:41 am

this hi my name is Connie Peterson and I was wondering when you guys were hiring for your store if you're doing online applications or do we have to come into the store if you are doing online applications if you could send me an email letting me know when you guys are hiring my email address is CPeterson 71. CP 70 @ gmail.com thank you so much for you going to return a phone call a 925-223-7714 or 925-447-4768

2 people like this
Posted by Shopper
on Apr 6, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Still have my fingers crossed hoping to really see a chipotle in there. open, open, open! Healthy and SO good!!!

4 people like this
Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Apr 6, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Good call "Sam" on filigree bakery, 2 thumbs up 👍👍 for Judy the owner great choices and prices. Also good call on New Leaf Great local market, good produce and meat and fish, worth paying a little extra for, keep spending money in town support "OUR" businesses

6 people like this
Posted by whitelion
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Apr 7, 2015 at 9:42 am

Keep it local, folks! I particularly enjoy getting macarons at Sugarie Bakery and organic veggies/fruits/meats at New Leaf. Both shops are small, friendly, and just as good as anything in Dublin!

Like this comment
Posted by @ Taco Of Wisdom
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Apr 8, 2015 at 7:11 am

You must work at New Leaf. Don't get me wrong I like New Leaf but everything is 2 to 3 dollars more there than at Whole Foods. As for you comments about the produce and meat/ seafood being way better you're either crazy or don't know what good quality means. New leaf leaves their wilting produce on the shelf 3 days past when Whole Foods would donate it to a local food bank. As for Meat/Seafood New Leaf was out of chicken breasts the other day and their case is always half full with discolored Meat.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Wrapping up a 100-year-old detective job

Couples: “It’s Not My Problem. It’s Your Problem.”
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,148 views

Livermore's Marchand, aka the mayor of Seville, seeks re-election
By Jeb Bing | 4 comments | 523 views

Nominations due by Sept. 17

Pleasanton Weekly and DanvilleSanRamon.com are once again putting out a call for nominations and sponsorships for the annual Tri-Valley Heroes awards - our salute to the community members dedicated to bettering the Tri-Valley and the lives of its residents.

Nomination form