The Pleasanton school board will possibly be approving the instructional calendar for the 2015-16 school year during tonight's board meeting.
The Association of Pleasanton Teachers (APT) and district staff have agreed on a revised calendar with students starting on Aug. 25 and ending June 10, 2016.
The revised calendar also includes other relevant school year dates such as minimum days, holidays, conference days and teacher workdays.
The Pleasanton school board unanimously voted Jan. 13 to revert back to the traditional calendar.
In addition, the board directed staff to go back to bargaining units to re-do the process of looking at an alternative calendar -- which will include more input from parents, students and teachers.
During the Dec. 9 meeting, newly-elected school board member Mark Miller requested that the calendar item be put on a future agenda for discussion and possible action to see how the board would like to proceed with the item.
The modified lite calendar, starting the 2015-16 school year, was approved 4-1 at the June 17, 2014 board meeting -- with Trustee Valerie Arkin in dissent.
At the Sept. 9, 2014 meeting, the calendar item was brought back for report and possible action to rescind June's approval. The board voted 3-2 against the motion to rescind, with Trustee Arkin and Jamie Hintzke voting for the rescission.
The calendar report is set to begin at 7 p.m. in the district's boardroom, 4665 Bernal Avenue.
Prior to the open session meeting, staff will have a study session from 4:30-5:30 to possibly approve staff's recommendation of K-12 math instructional materials, which are aligned to the new Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
According to the staff report, instructional materials being recommended for adoption are:
• EngageNY (with Eureka Math support materials for grades K-5)
• Go Math (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) for grades 6-8
• Kanold AGA (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) for Algebra 1/Math I, Geometry, Algebra 2, Math II, Math III, and Math IV.
• CPM (College Prep Math) for high school Honors Geometry, Honors Algebra 2, and Honors Pre-calculus
• The Practice of Statistics (5th edition) for AP Statistics
The Pleasanton school district had the recommended materials on display for public review at the Jan. 10 CCSS Mathematics Forum and from Jan. 15 through Feb. 18 in the media services room, including three evening sessions (Jan. 18, Feb. 4, and February 18).
In other business:
• District staff is set to provide trustees an update about the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) and the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) tests -- which will be given to third through eighth graders and high school juniors.
According to staff reports, the SBAC will be given to students in 3-8 from March 10 through June 5. High schools juniors will take the assessment test April 23 through June 5.
The SBAC will test students in the areas of English language arts and mathematics.
Staff will also discuss how the district has been preparing students for the SBAC with training tests.
• The school board will recognize students who display the community character trait of honesty during its recognitions session.