Police BulletinCars ransacked in Val Vista neighborhood
More than 11 unlocked vehicles in the Val Vista neighborhood were reported searched by a thief or thieves between 8:45 p.m. Sunday and 9:20 a.m. Monday.
Six vehicles on Garner Court were hit, along with three on Robin Court, one on Grand Canyon Court and one on Addison Way. Although nothing major was stolen, miscellaneous items including change were taken or moved. Eleven people filed reports, although others were hit, with owners of those vehicles declining to file police reports. Extra patrols have been requested in the area. Police do not believe the case is linked to the tires slashed in another neighborhood.
In other police reports:
* What would have been a shoplifting arrest was elevated to armed robbery when the suspect pulled a knife on two Sears security guards. Justin Mitchell, 30 of Union City was arrested around 8:58 p.m. April 7 for robbery and attempting to flee from police.
* Two men face multiple charges in the attempted theft of three cell phones worth $500 in total from Walmart.
Christopher Allen Gaustad, 50, of Castro Valley and Christopher Wayne Branaugh, 25, a transient, were arrested for conspiracy, felony shoplifting and possession of burglary tools. The two used a magnetic key to unlock security devices holding the phones; store security spotted the two and watched as they walked out. The pair was arrested April 7 at 5:33 p.m.
* Anisha Joyce Ragland, 19, of Oakland was arrested for burglary at JC Penny in the Stoneridge Mall in the theft of $57 worth of makeup. Ragland was taken into custody at about 6:35 p.m. April 9.
* Jeffery Allen Larkin, 37, a transient, was arrested 5:26 p.m. April 9 after the theft of a bicycle in the 550 block of Peters Avenue. Larken was taken into custody near the intersection of Hopyard Road and Golden Road and arrested for possession of stolen property. Another bike theft was reported at about 4:43 p.m. April 9 in the 4500 block of Augustine Street; police have a suspect who is not being named.
* A driver asleep in a parking lot was arrested early April 5 for identity theft and possession of false documents. Police got a call about a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot in the 5100 block of Johnson Drive and arrested Kirshaunda Monique Savage, 24, of Merced, at around 3:10 a.m.
* A burglar at a home in the 1500 block of Rubino Court dropped a $400 set of golf clubs but got away with a $20 iPhone charger in an April 10 incident reported at 3:54 a.m. Police and a K9 unit were called to the scene and found the golf clubs not far from the break in, but no one was arrested. Entry was gained through an unlocked garage door.
Under the law, those arrested are considered innocent until convicted.