WHAT IS WRONG WITH SANTA RITA SAFEWAY?

Original post made by sknywench, Amador Valley High School, on Aug 28, 2014

Ever since Safeway was acquired by Albertson's there have been big changes at this store. There is ONLY one cashier in the evening and the line, or rather wait time is absurd. I asked and was told it was a corporate decision to allow only a single cashier at night. Now to the self-check out. That line gets really long too.

To top it off, I have been solicited in the aisles by people claiming to be in need, and there are clearly people with mental illness and substance abuse issues hanging out in the parking lot making quasi-threatening comments. Tonight a group of people, mostly children with their parent, surrounded me in a shopping aisle and begged for money. They would be referred to as gyspies in Europe, but since we are not there, let's just call it scammers.

I have been shopping here for over 25 years, but have seen it rapidly deteriorate in the past several months. I have never seen a security guard, the solicitors are allowed to remain on premises, and I feel harrassed and unsafe at times. The icing on the cake is having to wait forever in line to be their customer which is an insult. I am switching to Trader Joes, Safeway at Bernal or to the Dublin Safeway, never to return! Heck I'll go to Walmart before I ever shop there again. Having their headquarters here obviously doesnt mean much.

Posted by LP
a resident of Mohr Park
on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I totally agree with you and want to add something. According to their evening manager, the cameras in the parking lot are not currently working which contributed to an altercation I had with some punk that hit my brand new car and tried to flee. The manager admitted to the police that while they had cameras in the parking lot, they weren't working, store management was aware of it and that they had not been fixed despite management's knowledge. So I would suggest to you and everyone else to avoid this store like the plague after dark since customer safety is clearly not a concern for them. Ultimately other customers came to my aid after they witnessed my car being hit and they stopped the car. I should add that my car is brand new and doesn't even have plates yet and when I found out and ran to the parking lot the punk that hit it and the Safeway manager were trying to rub off the black paint that transferred to my white car. Seriously. So no security, no surveillance and store management assisting someone in trying to cover up a hit and run.

I've been shopping there for twenty years myself, but no more. I don't go to any of their stores now as I refuse to give my business to a company that displays such disregard for the safety of their customers while on their premises. I've actually started shopping at the larger wal-Mary grocery store on alcosta. I now buy deli type items from Raley's. My sliced cheese is never dried out like at this Safeway because Raley's slices by order instead if stockpiling tons early in the day that dries out uncovered and unwrapped in their deli case at Safeway. You should try these two stores. I'm very happy Safeway forced me to look elsewhere and I won't ever go back.

Posted by Walmart has a Grocery Store on Santa Rita
a resident of Danbury Park
on Aug 29, 2014 at 9:23 am

not very far

Posted by So many options
on Aug 29, 2014 at 9:58 am

Costco isn't that far away. 1 trip a month and I stock up and save money (but please, check prices there, not everything at Costco is cheaper) on most things I need, and there is also Trader Joe's and Smart and Final. I get all my produce at the Farmer's Market. I do an occasional trip to Safeway for something I run out of.

Posted by FHS mom
a resident of another community
on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:39 am

If you haven't been to Gene's Fine Foods recently you are missing out -- the store is newly redone and now a lovely place to shop. Among the full service grocery stores in town, Gene's has the best meat counter bar none.

While they cannot compete purely on price, the prices aren't THAT bad and a quick in-and-out and stress-free shopping experience is worth a few bucks IMO.

Posted by Melanie
a resident of Las Positas
on Aug 29, 2014 at 11:06 am

The wal Mart grocery store in Pleasanton is very small when compared to the one on alcosta. I prefer to alcosta store as well.

Posted by misery abounds at safeway
a resident of Alisal Elementary School
on Aug 29, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Safeway on Santa Rita has been a bad place to shop for years. Every time I go in there, I hear employees griping about not having breaks, the air conditioning being too hot, the air conditioning being too cold, something being wrong with their schedule or some other grievance. Usually you hear the loud speaker drone on and on with some code the entire time you are there shopping because the store doesn't even answer incoming phone calls.

This was way before the merger with Albertsons.

Shop at the non-union stores. They are cheaper and the employees are friendlier.

Posted by kbenson
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Aug 30, 2014 at 1:11 pm

re- misery abounds @ safeway

The "codes" I also hear while shopping. Gets so bad I can memorize them =)

yep- i checker (maybe 2) Merchandise blocking isles and no longer do I see a clerk asking me if I need help finding anything.

on the plus side, I do find the safeway rewards card finally working. (used to find numerous discrepancies)

Also the gas rewards keeps me shopping @ safeway (especially with this upcoming carbon tax)

Posted by Jtjh
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 31, 2014 at 8:02 pm

But they now charge more if you pay for fuel by credit card. So that reduces the gas reward or, if you choose not to use your credit card, any rewards using that card offers you.

And at Safeway, you now have to choose between helping schools via scrip or using a credit card, as well.

I avoid shopping at the Santa Rita branch, too. It's not just at night that there's a dearth of checkout operators. As for the wait at the Customer Service booth .........

I can't help wondering whether Safeway's apparent lack of interest in the Santa Rita branch is because their ultimate goal is to close it.

Posted by shopper
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Aug 31, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I've been shopping at this Safeway for 21 years and have had excellent experiences. The employees there are very friendly and helpful and the shelves are stocked. No complaints from me!

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

The valley loses a distinguished and humble leader

Not Endorsements