PLEASANTON FINED THE WATER WASTERS

Original post made by Michael Austin, Pleasanton Meadows, on Jul 31, 2014

Pleasanton water department enclosed water waster fines in its first billing since the conservation law was enacted by the city council.

294 residential water wasters were fined a total of $95,648.00.
128 commercial water wasters were fined a total of $184,840.00.

Total for all the water wasters this first billing period. $280,488.00.
What should the city council do with this new income?
Should the city council use this money to pay down the pension debt?

Posted by lll
on Jul 31, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Michael, the water account is an enterprise fund and not part of the general fund. If the fines were used to pay down pension debt, it would be for that department only. I believe the fines should be used to back-fill the income because of the reduction in usage. If we do not do that, we should all expect our water rates to increase because we are using less water but much of our expenses are probably fixed.

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jul 31, 2014 at 2:57 pm

III,

Good point.
Yhanks

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jul 31, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I have no idea how the money should be spent. I'm delighted that home owner's and business that knowingly waste water are fined. They knew what they were doing and ignored the consequences.

Posted by Frank
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Note to self, water lawn twice a day during a non drought year.

Posted by Right
on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Web Link

All the so-called elitist scientists are lobbing this on us. Total hokes. What a laugh. Just look at the golf courses. LMAO

Posted by Registered Joe
on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Where did the data come from? I looked on the water dept. webpage but didn't see any numbers. The numbers quoted at the top of the thread work out to $325 per fined household. I'm not disagreeing, just wondering about the source of the data, and the criteria used by the city to levy fines.

My own water usage was down about 12% for the May-June billing period, compared to the same year-ago period, no fine.

Posted by Right
on Jul 31, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I heard there only fining Republicans.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 1, 2014 at 8:24 am

it's a good start! next...democrats! next...tea party! next...libertarians! next...waste water pay the fine...no mercy!

Posted by Water
a resident of Danbury Park
on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:36 am

Maybe just maybe they should use the money to obtain more water for the city. I know this is a unique idea.

Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:42 am

@Michael

I agree with "Registered Joe". You can't just pull statistics like these out of thin air. If you present statistics which aren't common knowledge, then it's up to you to provide a source for the statistics. You should either provide the source or the PW should remove your original post for containing "unverified information".

Posted by Right
on Aug 1, 2014 at 11:50 am

@Damon,

You really don't understand how the PW censors operate, do you? The owner doesn't know the difference between objectivity and marketability. If some scumbag doesn't like your post, all I - um, he - need to do is flag it 3 times and the editors will dutifully erase it. Verifiable information? You really are kidding, aren't you?

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 1, 2014 at 12:05 pm

@Damon and Registered Joe:

I go through the cities public information office.
I am usually directed to the proper source or receive information in email.

For these water department numbers, I emailed Daniel Smith Operations Manager and asked him to release to me the numbers of residential and business that were fined for wasting water and what the total amounts were for each. I informed Daniel I did not want names and I did not want addresses.

I shared my email with Gina Channell-allen before I posted it.

All public information is readily available. Just ask for it.

Posted by Water
a resident of Danbury Park
on Aug 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Michael,

So why in the works would he give out that info to or to anyone who wrote him an email? Seems quite odd to me but since moving to california many things here seem odd.

I think this Daniel Smith should act more professionally and issue a report to the City Manager who can distribute the info as he deems necessary.

Posted by Water
a resident of Danbury Park
on Aug 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Michael,

Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Aug 1, 2014 at 12:51 pm

@ Michael : "I am usually directed to the proper source or receive information in email. For these water department numbers, I emailed Daniel Smith Operations Manager and asked him to release to me the numbers of residential and business that were fined for wasting water and what the total amounts were for each. "

OK, then. That's fine. I would only suggest that you should include information like that above in your original post. Thank you for looking into this and sharing the information.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Aug 1, 2014 at 12:53 pm

How much water to you think Plutonians need? Deserve? I don't believe that purchasing more water is a "unique idea".

Please present more info. re: your "unique idea" and how it will work...waiting...

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm

@Damon: I kept it short and to the point because of the trolls in our community. I was originally going to have it registered use only. Then decided to keep it open for comment and just flag the trolls.

Posted by Registered Joe
on Aug 1, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Michael, thanks. Lost sight of the fact that just because something is "publicly available" doesn't mean that it's posted on the web. Really interesting numbers.

Posted by Michael Austin
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Aug 1, 2014 at 3:21 pm

@Water:
Be assured the City Manager is fully aware of the water wasters.
Also, this information is public information. Names and addresses of the water wasters can be released, to anyone asking for that information.

Daniel Smith is an absolute professional, he brings great expertise to his position. Daniel Smith responded in a professional manner by way of answering my questions, as a part of his job.