Property Taken From Driveway

Original post made by pj on Jun 29, 2014

Just to make everyone aware. Earlier this week I placed 4 large compactor bags with several items, worth a few hundred dollars, in my driveway. The items were to be donated to the church. The bags were placed near the top of the driveway, next to the door of my pickup truck.

I went in the house for 10 minutes and when I went back outside the bags were gone. Later, my neighbor told me that a large white truck had stopped, and the driver took the bags and put them in the truck. I know that there was an electronics equipment recycling vendor in the neighborhood that day, and I suspect they may have taken them. There was no pickup tag left on the bags, and they were obviously not electronic equipment. They were not even close to the sidewalk. I called the vendor and they confirmed that they have large white trucks, and promised to look into it and call me back. They never did. I filed a police report, but just to document the incident.

Just be aware that any bagged items left in your driveway could be mistakenly taken. Probably a very rare incident, but I will certainly be more careful in the future.

Posted by James , a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:56 am

I had a similar incident a few months back, but instead of taking my donation bags the perps rummaged through them taking only what they wanted. They then left the remains in shambles. This happened overnight. Needless to say, I don't leave things out anymore!

Use caution!

Posted by James , a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:56 am

Use caution!

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jun 30, 2014 at 9:01 am

it's just like living in NY! anything left out side gets taken...end of story

Posted by Me too, a resident of Walnut Grove Elementary School
on Jun 30, 2014 at 9:44 am

That happened to me, however I caught them. I walked outside and asked them if they needed something. They got very nervous and had a "get away car" 2 houses down. Since I was leaving it for a random charity, I told them they had to take it all or nothing. The whole situation was sad....

Posted by Jack, a resident of Downtown
on Jun 30, 2014 at 11:48 am

Leave things out on your driveway for the purpose of being taken… And then surprised when they are taken?

Posted by pj, a resident of Country Fair
on Jun 30, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my original post. These items were not left in my driveway for pickup. They were placed next to my vehicle near the top of my driveway, so they could be loaded into my vehicle to take to the church.

I did not leave them in the driveway for the purpose of being taken, and did not expect them to be taken. Yes, I was surprised. I went in the house to get my truck keys, and was in the house for about ten minutes or so.

When I do leave donations to be picked up I always put the vendors flyer/tag on them and place them at the bottom of the driveway near the sidewalk.

Posted by Kevin, a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 30, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I had something bizarre happen to me just last week. Last week, I had decided to pull my garbage cans up to my side yard fence instead of bringing it inside the gate. Someone decided to make off with both my garbage can and recycling bin. No financial harm, of course - Pleasanton Garbage very nicely will send new ones out tomorrow, but...

Who in their right mind wants to steal a couple of stinky things like that??

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jun 30, 2014 at 2:46 pm

thieves are always looking for financial information so that they can screw you over....shred you papers...

Posted by liberalism is a disease, a resident of Birdland
on Jun 30, 2014 at 7:39 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

It's true, cholo knows all about these types of thefts.

Posted by SCAM, a resident of Mission Park
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:59 am

So if you haven't figured it yet, MOST DONATION PROGRAMS IN PLEASANTON ARE A SCAM. Many are for profit. I know of Pleasanton residents who live in very nice big homes, drive nice new cars who have told me about their thrift stores in Hayward that receive * ALL * of their inventory from donations. Also been told that most of their personal house furnishings came from donations. Was also told how they hit Pleasanton over and over again because of all the quality donations, not to mention all inventory gets put into categories of "KEEP FOR MYSELF", "TO GOOD TO SELL AT THRIFT STORE, SELL ON CRAIGSLIST", PERFECTLY USED FOR THRIFT STORE AND JUSTIFICATION", and then my favorite " PERFECT CONDITION BUT HEADS TO THE LOCAL DUMP" I have been to their stores, nothing more than a front for justifying being in business. So if you think your donations are helping the needy, *** THINK AGAIN *** the only people who are really being helped are the business owners and their bank accounts. And on another note ** DO NOT GIVE TO THOSE GROUPS WHO ARE INFILTRATING OUR TOWN WITH THEIR DIRTY CLOTHES AND CHILDREN IN HAND, STANDING AT EVERY CORNER OR COMMERCIAL DRIVEWAY ** These are professional beggars who do this as a career, I HAVE WATCHED THEM GET IN TO THEIR NICE CARS PARKED SOME DISTANCE AWAY FROM THEIR JOB SITE !!!!!!! WAKE UP !!!!!!

Posted by JP, a resident of Birdland
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I get 5 to 7 of those donation cards in the mail consistently. I've donated a few times and left donations near the doorway and never received any receipts. Most likely someone other than the donation co picked them up.

I'd rather drive over to the donation sites and drop off items myself.

Charity Navigator:
Web Link

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.