Fyi...Film Showings About "Common Core" July 22

Original post made by Concerned Mom, Amberwood/Wood Meadows, on Jun 12, 2014

I have heard a great deal about Common Core and am very concerned about what I've heard. I intend to do more homework about this program before I subject my kids to this program.

For those concerned parents who would like to know what their child(ren) will be subjected to, there will be a film on it called "We Will Not Conform" showing July 22 in Dublin (Hacienda Crossings) and Danville (Blackhawk).

Here is more information on this ...
Web Link

To buy tickets in Dublin and Danville (and elsewhere)...
Web Link

Posted by john
on Jun 12, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Could it be that "Concerned Mom" is really just a propagandist for this Glenn Beck associated fringe organization? Reads like a fake post to me.

Posted by Concerned Mom
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 13, 2014 at 6:44 am

Dear John,
Nothing fake about me.
I live in Pleasanton.
The only reason I did not go into detail about Common Core is that I am not informed enough to do so. The little that I do know about it is very very concerning, however.

Our only child will be a high school senior next year, so luckily for us, our child will escape this destructive and pathetic educational program.

For those parent who have children in PUSD, I want them to be informed about Common Core.

Posted by Brockman
on Jun 13, 2014 at 6:58 am

So are you so uninformed about Common Core that you can't relate any of its details, or are you so informed that you've deemed it, in your informed opinion, to be "destructive and pathetic?"

I'm with john. This is clearly a propaganda post.

Posted by Concerned Mom
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 13, 2014 at 7:26 am

Ok...since you need spoon-feeding, I will provide more detail about a few of my concerns which are consistent with the article linked below.

5: The Common Core was designed to be implemented through an expanding regime of high-stakes tests, which will consume an unhealthy amount of time and money.

6: Proficiency rates on the new Common Core tests have been dramatically lower—by design.

7: Common Core relies on a narrow conception of the purpose of K-12 education as "career and college readiness."

8: The Common Core is associated with an attempt to collect more student and teacher data than ever before.

9: The Common Core is not based on any external evidence, has no research to support it, has never been tested, and worst of all, has no mechanism for correction.

10: The biggest problem of American education and American society is the growing number of children living in poverty. Common Core does nothing to address this.

Source: Web Link

Because our child will escape this program, the headline news is all I am motivated to learn at this point. However, I wanted to provide a resource (film info) for those who would like more details.

Posted by Trash
on Jun 13, 2014 at 8:42 am

Concerned mom, first you call yourself uninformed and then you begin spouting Glenn Beck propaganda verbatim. This "film" is complete propaganda garbage. If you truly want to be informed I suggest doing your own research from a variety of reputable sources and maybe talk to a few teachers at your school. Anything with Glenn Beck is 100 percent biased and not objective. Please, stop watching Fox News and begin to think with your own brain.

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on Jun 13, 2014 at 4:54 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Trash, have you seen the film being referenced in this post or are you just living up to your namesake?

Posted by Eric
a resident of Castlewood
on Jun 13, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Haha, I looked it up, it really is a Glenn Beck movie. What a joke, that guy is funny. He built himself a movie studio in Texas of all places. I guess he is counting on cashing in big on his, "film".

Posted by Hank
a resident of Canyon Creek
on Jun 13, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Note that, em, Concerned Mom is unable to argue anything in her own words. All she can do is plagiarize the bold-printed section headings of the one-sided piece she cites. This reveals how this kind of Glenn Beck garbage only attracts infantile minds.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:46 am

Is Common Core the same thing as rotten to the core?

i rest my case...

Posted by Mr T
on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:16 pm

It's actually a very weighty topic and the Beck association doesn't do it the justice it deserves. CC is one piece of an enormous set of changes that came down quietly as past of the stimulus bailouts in 2008. The implications to public school students are extensive and worthy of close examination by parents.

Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Jun 16, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I looked up the info about this movie, too. Yes, Glenn Beck and some Tea Party group called FreedomWorks is behind it. They're very much anti-Common Core and also have the bigger goal of abolishing the US Education Department.

Don't know what all the fuss is about Common Core. The homework that my kids have brought home (which I assume is based on "Common Core" teaching standards) doesn't cause me to raise any eyebrows. In fact, I think that a lot of the homework is much better than the quality of the homework that I had when I was in grade school. Would like to know exactly what it is about Common Core that bothers certain people.

Posted by Concerned Mom
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jun 16, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Damon,
Here is a short clip about the event occurring July 22. Regardless of what you (or others) think about Glenn Beck, I encourage you to focus on the content of Common Core.

Web Link

Posted by Damon
a resident of Foothill Knolls
on Jun 16, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Please, Concerned Mom, no YouTube videos. I can't ever being convinced about anything with a YouTube video. What you did earlier is on the right track: You provided a list of items that concerned you about Common Core. I glanced through the list but I didn't see any hard-hitting points against Common Core. Look at what you listed:

"1: The process by which the Common Core standards were developed and adopted was undemocratic."

Yes, maybe so. But is that anything new? I don't recall my parents being polled on what the curriculum should be when I was a kid, either.

"2: The Common Core State Standards violate what we know about how children develop and grow."

Huh? What does this mean? Can you translate that into English?

"3: The Common Core is inspired by a vision of market-driven innovation enabled by standardization of curriculum, tests, and ultimately, our children themselves. "

So "market-driven innovation" is a bad thing? I'm not even sure what "market-driven innovation" is supposed to mean here. Also, what's wrong with the "standardization of curriculum"?

"4: The Common Core creates a rigid set of performance expectations for every grade level, and results in tightly controlled instructional timelines and curriculum."

Welcome to the real world. Those kids are going to encounter a rigid set of "performance expectations" when they reach the end of high school and have to take those standardized SAT and ACT tests if they want to go on to college. The military also has standardized and rigid tests which they employ.

The bottom line is that I don't think that you've made a good case for why Common Core is a bad idea. A lot of the things that you're saying like "standardization of curriculum and tests" or having rigid "performance expectations" don't necessarily sound bad. In fact, they sound like they could be an improvement! Why don't you explain to all of us in plain English what it is about Common Core that is so upsetting to you?