Restaurants + TV sets = nuisance

Original post made by Pleasanton_Resident, Birdland, on Jun 2, 2014

I was sad to find out that Handles Gastropub has added 4 TV sets in their main dinning room. Previously TVs were restricted to the bar side of the restaurant, providing 2 different ambiances. 1 side with more of a sports bar atmosphere, and 1 more of a relaxing dinning area, with no TV sets or piped in Top 40's.

Unfortunately that has now changed, and if you go to Handles be prepared to have ESPN shoved down your throat wherever you sit, as well as Top 40 songs in the background.

Fortunately there are other dining options in town where one isn't obligated to sit in front of a TV set.

Farewell Handles.

Posted by Right
on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:00 am

I always request that at least one channel show Fox News. It's the only fair and balanced channel we have, (Comment partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by A Neighbor
on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:53 am

Resident, why are you posting your complaints here? Direct them to the manager at Handles!

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 2, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Dinner is a social time...especially if my dinner groups is present...we never watch TV when we're together because it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more cool to talk and talk and talk for hours!

i rest my case...

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jun 2, 2014 at 12:08 pm

It's none of my business what you prefer to watch on TV.

I spend more time watching a good movie with friends so that we can chat as the movie plays.

Posted by Pleasanton_Resident
on Jun 2, 2014 at 12:33 pm

A Neighbor, my post was more of an observation on a disturbing trend developing in our society, where people feel the need to be constantly staring at a screen, be it a TV set or a phone. Directing complaints to the manager will accomplish nothing, I am sure the TV sets were added because there is a demand for it. After all, eating and talking is so last century!

Posted by John
on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:32 am

Agreed. And it is a trend in many restaurants. Why must we have this constant input from the media? In each restaurant I've dined in that has a tv, I've at least mentioned that it is distracting and invasive. But, mostly, I just dine elsewhere.

Posted by Curious
a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:36 am

Vote with your feet.

Posted by chemist
on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:52 am

There are many restaurants in Downtown that do not mount TVs in front of every table. Handles is a pub: TV's are appropriate. Try Oasis, Baci's, India Garden ... all with great food, and I don't remember any TVs at these.

Posted by john
on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:55 am

People still look at TVs? I thought they were all looking at their phones.

Posted by P-Town Pride
on Jun 3, 2014 at 9:02 am

Handles what a disappointment I was really hoping they would do well I have given them 4 chances the service sucked all 4 times and the food was subpar to bland each time. Maybe by adding the TV they hoping you it will be distract enough to forget the bad service and subpar.

Posted by Beer drinker
a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 3, 2014 at 9:25 am

The beer at least is good.

Posted by Deport Cholo
on Jun 3, 2014 at 10:12 am

What is it with that location? One restaurant after another in that location goes under.

Posted by Bill Laube
a resident of another community
on Jun 3, 2014 at 10:30 am

I was honored to own and operate the Pleasanton Hotel for over 25 years, from early 1983 through 2008.
I met the 4 new owners of Handles and had hopes they would carry the tradition we aimed for all those year,
quality, exciting dining and music in an historic attractive and comfortable setting.
I've been away from Pleasanton for the past 2 years, but have stopped in several times and have been shocked
at the lack of diners and failure to maintain the patio fence facing Main Street.
I agree that in the environment we fostered TVs would have been most inappropriate.
Perhaps the owners blame their poor diner numbers on a lack of TVs. I doubt this is the reason.

Posted by Lani
on Jun 3, 2014 at 11:43 am

Dear Bill,

As a 22 year Pleasanton resident, I miss the days of yore at your Pleasanton Hotel restaurant. We always had great food, great service in a great ambience. Thank you for the wonderful memories.

Posted by Map
a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 3, 2014 at 11:49 am

If my memory is correct there was a lack of patrons inside that place before being sold, and the fence was falling apart way before 2008, so maybe there are other reasons for that location not being able to do well?? Food, food prices, service, hmmmm????

Posted by Bill Laube
a resident of another community
on Jun 3, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Lani,
Thank you for your generous comments. I also have fond memories of our many good years and the
wonderful guests like you. I especially miss our many special events…..weddings, wine dinners, mystery dinners,
Patio Blues.

Posted by Patty
a resident of Danbury Park
on Jun 3, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I remember the Hotel well and was so disappointed when Bill Laube was "forced" out I think by unreasonably high rents. The fence was certainly maintained then too. Live music, good food and fun times. Thank you Bill!!

Posted by BJ Tiffany Lane
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jun 4, 2014 at 8:53 am

If you ever stop long enough to view the Pleasanton Hotel building and its surroundings I would bet you would be as concerned as I am. I will never patronize a business who can't take care of their property and attempt to present a clean professional place to consume your beverages or food of choice. Handles is in dire need of Robert Irvine and the Restaurant Impossible crew. I can only guess what their kitchen looks like.

Posted by Bill
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jun 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Man, the Pleasanton Hotel used to have some great food. Early 90's Sunday Brunch was unreal. I don't recall the chef's name, but he was out and about, describing and answering questions about the food.

I like the bar at Handles. Nice space to hang out with friends, and often not crowded. I haven't been in the dining room since The Farmer, which was a slap in the face to anyone who paid them money.

Thank you Mr. Laube. You are missed.

Posted by Bill
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Jun 5, 2014 at 12:50 am

...that wasn't really Bill Laube...was it?

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Martin Litton, force of nature. An appreciation.
By Tom Cushing | 2 comments | 1,073 views

What to do with your buckets of water

The Golden Days of Television

How Many Colleges Should I Apply To?
By Elizabeth LaScala | 0 comments | 398 views