New Business Needed for Pleasanton: Drought Relief for Yards

Original post made by Al on May 13, 2014

I just saw that there will be non-potable water available to save our landscaping this summer:

Web Link

Fabulous! Now what we also need are some enterprising folks who will fill up a tank truck and stop by my house once or twice a week (depending) to water esp my trees and hedges. Maybe a long hose so the back garden could be watered too.

For a fee, of course. I'd prefer it on a subscription basis so I don't have to be home when you come. Please, someone: put this together so we can save our landscapes this summer. I am one who would PREFER to use non-potable outside even after the rains start, if they ever do.

How about the rest of you? Would you want such a service to emerge?

Posted by Al, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 14, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hey all -- how are you going to get water during the drought?

-- Each person goes on his own to get the non-potable water?
-- Pay the increased fees/fine for using more than the limits?
-- Let your plants die?
-- Let trees die and have to pay $1000s to have them removed?
-- You think there will be no drought?

I want to use a service like this: that's why I hoped some of you would agree with me that it's needed, and some enterprising set of folks would put it together for us.

Posted by liberalism is a disease, a resident of Birdland
on May 14, 2014 at 11:08 am

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Probably option 2, which may cost as much as option 1, without the hassle. We have too much invested in landscaping to sacrifice it. Besides, we're solving 'climate disruption' by keeping our yard green.

Posted by Al, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 14, 2014 at 4:43 pm

LiaD: If everyone did Option 2, we would not be conserving any water at all! And the Water Board would have to raise prices way more, just to get us to pay attention (and, finally, use less).

Option 1 doesn't work for those of us without a nice truck and the time to ferry water back and forth at non-peak hours when there will be no line.

So I am encouraged by your response, because I'm suggesting:

-- Option 0: A nice local business delivers the non-potable water you need.

I'm suggesting this because it would probably cost no more than the other options,* it would make use of the almost free non-potable water being offered, it would sure cut my use of potable water, and it would make it easy TO DO THE RIGHT THING, which is to conserve the potable stuff.

_______

*Remember, Option 1 has costs, too, although they are hidden: the cost of using the truck, gas, supplies/equipment tailored to water delivery, and -- the biggie -- the cost of our time, which of course we often consider to be free, but it is a cost like any other.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 14, 2014 at 4:55 pm

i seriously doubt that the "lib" has a significant other...tee hee

nothing like a serene rock garden and a ZEN attitude...yup...that's me!

Posted by Already conserve, a resident of Downtown
on May 15, 2014 at 12:29 am

How about this option--the city stops dumping potable water on the golf courses and parks to the point of turning them into swamps.

None of the golf courses or parks, other than the one used for the Friday concerts, is showing the least bit of anything resembling dryness. The city keeps pouring on excess water for the golfers, who pay nothing in fees and fines for excess water use, while those of us who already conserve will be penalized for failing to conserve even more.

Hacienda business park continues to water their grass to the point of swamping the sidewalks. The city continues to water their parks and street medians to the point of runoff. The golf courses are still green. Yet they demand 25% cuts from the only people who have done anything to conserve in the first place. Time to recall the council and fire the city manager.

Conservation begins at home. Learn it and practice it before demanding it from everyone else.

Posted by Trevor, a resident of Walnut Hills
on May 15, 2014 at 5:32 am

Put in a well. I did and works great.

Posted by Already conserve, a resident of Downtown
on May 15, 2014 at 11:40 am

Very funny Trevor. I have no lawn, no pool and I waste no water. My last bill, for two months, showed usage of one whole unit of water! How might that be reduced?

As for the drilling of a well, I can hardly imagine the reams of paper required for the permits and hearings that the city would require. I would love to have my gutters drain into water tanks but the planning commission would veto that as well.

If it benefits the golfers they will allow it. If it makes conservation sense they will deny it.

Posted by Al, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 15, 2014 at 11:43 am

EVEN IF it is true that the City of Pleasanton and the business park occupants are using potable water, and are overwatering, it remains true that us 99%ers will have either cost or availability issues with water this summer. (Or ethical issues, for those of us who care about ethical issues.)

So we will want that non-potable water. The question is how to get it to our homes?

We can (and should!) lament the non-conserving arrogance and selfishness of others until the cows come home, but we will still want that water. C'mon, guys, let's figger out a way. Forget what others are doing wrong and try to get our part of it right. Is that possible?

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.