No Beer/Wine but all the Dogs You Can Stand

Original post made by no More 1st Wed for me on Apr 22, 2014

Changes to First Wed -- per the PDA site, " We have decided to no longer serve beer and wine during 1st Wednesdays. Instead we will turn the parking lot located at 530 Main Street into our family and pet friendly Entertainment Garden!"

OK, I can see the need to tone done the drunken party thing with the beer and wine. But do you really need to encourage even MORE people to bring their dogs downtown on those crowded and hot streets? Really? It's nearly impossible to walk down there already with all of the dogs on and off leash. Is Pleasanton so dogcentric that no one can go ANYWHERE without little Fido?

One more reason to stay home on Wednesdays this summer. And remember, if the health department sees a dog (or even a photo of a dog) within 20 feet of the farmer's market booths you can say goodbye to the farmer's market too.

Come on people, leave the dogs at home where they belong!

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Apr 22, 2014 at 6:21 pm

If you don't like dogs then stay home. Problem solved!

Posted by pleasantonwasnice40yearsago, a resident of Del Prado
on Apr 23, 2014 at 8:59 am

if you don't like people who don't like dogs stay home with your dog Problem solved

Posted by Farmer's Market customer, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 23, 2014 at 9:06 am

I wish there was better enforcement regarding dogs in the Farmer's Market. I see someone with their dog almost every week walking up and down Angels St.

Posted by Jean, a resident of Country Fair
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I stopped going to the Farmers Market because of the thoughtless, it doesn't apply to MY dog attitude of people. The no dogs allowed rule is not enforced.
A few calls to report it to the health dept and it will change.

Posted by Leave your dogs at home!, a resident of Downtown
on Apr 24, 2014 at 10:13 am

I also stopped going to the farmer's market because of the insanity of the dogs everywhere. Oh, FYI, if you pick the pocket dog up in your arms it's still a dog! Geez, stupid and thoughtless people are ruining it for all of us. This is from the CA certified market site:

"Certified Farmers' Markets are permitted Food Facilities and so no dogs (except service dogs) are allowed."

Markets are permitted by county. The Pleasanton market is permitted by Alameda county and you can reach them at 510-567-6700 to make a complaint about dogs in the market. I have done it and they asked me to email a photo (they apparently rarely send someone out in person on weekends). They claim that a citation will be issued when they have a photo that clearly shows a dog in an identifiable location at a farmer's market. They did not say how many citations it would take to shut down the market.

If the people in this town would get some manners and stop bringing their dogs everywhere this would not need to happen. But try taking a walk early in the morning downtown and count the piles of dog crap left by thoughtless owners. If I wanted to be drooled on, sniffed and peed on I could get my own dog. I don't need yours.

PDA is encouraging people to bring all of their kids and dogs downtown for First Wednesday. If there is a well mannered child or dog in this town I have yet to see them. The two best reason that I can think of to stay home.

Posted by Local, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:31 am

I never venture outside of my house any more. Too many dogs, too many children. Haven't been outside since 1976 when I saw a woman walk by with a Chihuahua in her purse.

Posted by Get the facts, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:23 pm

So, since we all agree that dogs are really not allowed at Farmer's Market, wouldn't it be a violation for dogs to be at First Wednesdays, where there are numerous food trucks around?

Posted by leave your dogs at home!, a resident of Downtown
on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Get the facts -- you are almost correct. I have checked this very thing out with the health dept and they say that at a farmer's market, which is in a specified area, NO DOGS are allowed, period. When there are mobile food trucks the dogs must be kept AT LEAST 20 feet from any food vendor. We know this is never enforced. It seems that the certified farmer's market organization would be liable for enforcement in their area but the PDA needs to enforce it on the streets near the mobile trucks. Yeah, like that's gonna happen. Take pictures, email them to the health dept, shut it down. Simple. If the people in Pleasanton are so very special that they cannot and will not comply with simple health rules then they do not deserve to enjoy the activities at all.

Posted by Curious, a resident of Birdland
on Apr 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm

What are the dog laws in this town? I am truly serious when I ask. We moved here a few months back and people just walk their dogs all over the place and let them poop and pee in the yard. I will be in the garage and as I am standing there somebody will just look at me while their dog is relieving themselves in my front yard. It is weird. The pee seems to kill the grass and they make a halfhearted attempt to grab up the poop in some type of plastic glove but still seem to leave much on the lawn. It seems to me there should be some type of law against it. I did ask a woman never to do that with her dog on my lawn again. We have grandchildren come over and I do not want them to get sick.

Posted by Leave your dogs at home!, a resident of Downtown
on Apr 24, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Dear "Curious",

Welcome to Pleasanton. The land of the entitled and bad mannered.

I don't know if there are doggie laws, other than the noise ordinances, except those written by the health department. That means that you can expect to see dog poop everywhere downtown, all over your yard and even on the outside patios of the downtown restaurants. Because in Pleasanton dogs are so much more important than people and they belong EVERYWHERE. Just ask their owners. Want a nice outdoor dinner? Expect to be drooled on, sniffed and covered with dog hair by the people who ignore the health code and the restaurant owners who should be shut down for it. Want to have a nice yard? As long as the dog pee and poop is not a problem for you, enjoy your home.

This town has gone way too far in the direction of dog owners. You will never keep the dogs out of your yard and the harder you try the more aggressive the owners will become. I tried and gave up. But whatever you do, never get a chicken. Because chickens are just EVIL and NOISY and all things not allowed in Pleasanton. Let's see, chickens eat bugs and lay eggs for you. Dogs bark, dig and poop everywhere. Only dogs can live in this town, welcome to Pleasanton.

Posted by only a matter of time, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 26, 2014 at 10:05 am

The whole "bring all of your dogs downtown" thing will go on right up til the time that the city gets sued because of some idiot's dog.

My niece was bitten by a dog when she was very young. The dog owner claimed that "she's very friendly, she won't bite anyone, she loves kids" right before the dog ran at my niece and snapped her in the face. My niece was about 4 years old, very shy, and sticking like glue to her Mom's side at the time, she did nothing to antagonize this animal.

The story did end well however. My niece graduated from a very expensive college, got married and just bought her first house. All with money from the idiot with the dog that "loves kids".

So, for all of you who think your dogs belong everywhere, think again. Be sure to have that insurance policy paid up so that when your precious dog harms someone you too can pay for that person's college education, new home, retirement, whatever. It's called personal responsibility. And after the victim sues you (and takes your house away and you lose your retirement money) they can sue the city and the PDA for even more money since they encouraged you to bring your dog where it did not belong. I can hardly wait.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Apr 26, 2014 at 11:13 am

thank you for sharing...tee hee

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.