New Street Lights

Original post made by CalGirl on Mar 19, 2014

We noticed the new street lights in our community tonight. They are so dim that some of them barely light up the sidewalk beneath them. Others seem a little brighter. Is it my imagination or do they vary in brightness from one to another? Does the brightness vary depending on the darkness in the area? They really don't light up the sidewalk under them. I wouldn't think they improve safety. Any other comments from others?

Posted by Agree, a resident of Birdland
on Mar 20, 2014 at 5:57 am

Couldn't agree more. One step forward and two steps back

Posted by Dark, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 20, 2014 at 7:54 am

Streets will be a lot safer because no one will want to be outside at night

Posted by Marc, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I like the way they twinkle.

Posted by High wattage, a resident of Amador Estates
on Mar 20, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Luckily when 12 of these lights shine together picking out a fraud is very easy.

Posted by Jack, a resident of Country Fair
on Mar 21, 2014 at 7:18 am

They are horrible!!!!!!

Posted by Need flashlight..., a resident of Val Vista
on Mar 24, 2014 at 9:00 am

These new LED street lights are HORRIBLE!!!! They don't light up the street at all. So dim that when I used to look out my window I could see the court, now it is so dark I wouldn't know if someone was lurking in my neighbor's yard. The lights on the neighbors' garages light up the street better than the streetlight now.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 24, 2014 at 9:42 am

I installed lighting and 2 cameras. It works for me! I feel safer and know that I have a fighting chance if I'm home and somebody tries to break in.

B A N G! BANG!

you're over...

Posted by Pleasanton resident, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:40 am

We noticed that the new lights were very, very dim. I called the city of Pleasanton's Street Light Repair department at 931-5500. They asked for the address nearest the problem light. It was fixed within two hours. It may be something they can do electronically from their office. Try it.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Apr 5, 2014 at 10:37 am

These are cool lights! Web Link

Posted by Bob, a resident of Donlon Elementary School
on Apr 5, 2014 at 12:34 pm

There so dim that to drive around the school/park need to put my high beams on to drive safe.
Streets are dark.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Apr 5, 2014 at 3:51 pm

LED lighting is great for the environment. Let's find a way to work with it.

Mike

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Apr 6, 2014 at 1:23 pm

LED RULES!

Web Link

Posted by Me Too, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 6, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Ours are brighter than the old sodium lamps...I appreciate the improvement in efficiency and illumination.

Posted by Marie, a resident of Downtown
on Apr 7, 2014 at 8:16 am

I run when it's dark out in the morning and find that the LED lights are better for close distance things. Might be different with a longer distance view point as a driver but I do like them better as a runner and pedestrian.

Posted by mooseturd, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:49 am

mooseturd is a registered user.

Half the people love them and half the people think they are awful. Must be about right.

Posted by happy camper, a resident of Stoneridge
on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:06 am

I am all for the environment, however, the lighting is very stark & glaring and some people have sensitive eye sight to the LED lights-- especially while driving---same experience with LED lights on cars--unsafe to be blinded by the light. There must be some type of LED light that can illuminate a nice - softer glow????

Posted by Old Guy, a resident of Willow West
on Apr 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I understand the new lights are better for the environment and more cost efficient. So based on those facts I'm trying very hard to accept the new lights and the changes they bring. They certainly do not equal the level of the old lighting and therefore cause some safety / security concerns. After 35 years in Pleasanton I know that many things are changing and some of them not good. If I cannot adjust to the new lights I will install my own. I would however like to see some information regarding the new lighting in regard to cost and environmental issues. If the city provides this information we all may be more apt to accept them...

Posted by Sam131, a resident of Foothill High School
on Apr 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I prefer the crisp white light given off by the LEDs. The yellow light of the old sodium lamps, while softer, distorts the colors of objects under the lights. Plus several times I have mistaken a sodium street light for a yellow traffic signal.

Posted by John, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm

It's funny... When sodium vapor lamps came along, people really hated the bizarre color and many insisted they weren't as bright as the mercury vapor lamps that preceded them. Now, we have bright white LEDs. They're probably much more energy efficient than the sodium lamps (which were more efficient than the mercury lamps). But the lamps themselves may be more expensive. So far, my perception is that they are about the same brightness as the sodium vapor lamps. But that's just my perception. My own neighborhood has very few street lamps, and it is quite dark at night. I like it that way and am glad that Pleasanton streets are relatively safe. --- In the meantime, I also value a dark sky, one in which you can see stars from time to time. When was the last time you saw the Milky Way? So, more efficient lighting, directed downward as much as possible, and consciousness of over-lit settings... these would be nice, too...

Posted by Good Light, a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:46 pm

The new streetlights are growing on me. They provide ample light and I applaud the efforts of Pleasanton to save energy. Good Job!

Posted by Me Too, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 10, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Along with increased efficiency, there should be a substantial reduced maintenance costs as these slights should last much longer. Of course, only time will tell with that. I like the new lights. Or perhaps I should say, I only noticed them at first and now they seem just fine.

Posted by Dark Thought, a resident of Parkside
on Jun 12, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I only seem to notice the lights when it's dark outside. They shed light.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.