Kindness

Original post made by Kindness on Mar 18, 2014

I was having a lousy day the other day. Soon after arriving home, the doorbell rang. With slight dread, I answered it only to be greeted by the smiling face of a friend holding a card and a bottle of wine. A kind gesture and gracious words are a great tonic for whatever ails you. Try it. You'll make someone's day.

Posted by Sue, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 18, 2014 at 9:23 am

Thank you. Just sent flowers to my mom.

Posted by detractor, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 18, 2014 at 9:58 am

I'm all for kindness too but this thread is bizarre on the town square. Next someone might post about loving cats, or the color blue, or trees. This seems like it may be a teacher or school board member trying to detract attention away from the real issues at hand on these blogs (Walnut Grove debacle, school board issues, PPIE trying to force PTA's to donate money, etc.)

Posted by Always wear your thinking hat!, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Nothing wrong with sharing one's likes. I like coffee. And roughage. And conservatives who tell everyone they're bi-partisan even though they're not.

Just be careful when you give gifts, however. I routinely would go next door and give a bottle of wine, sometimes rum, to my neighbors, just to be nice. It irritated me a little bit that they never said thank you. But then I found out that their 16 year-old who'd always answer the door would drink the full contents of the bottle before his parents came home from work. I almost went to jail for serving intoxicating beverages to a teenager!

Posted by Cool, a resident of Happy Valley
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Nice story. Thanks. I paid the bridge toll for the stranger behind me today.

Posted by Love, a resident of Apperson Ridge
on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:33 am

Love rules.

Posted by Garbage, a resident of Birdland
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I just brought in my aging neighbor's garbage cans.

Posted by Newspapers, a resident of Country Fair
on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I put my neighbors newspaper on their porch because it arrived after they had left for work.

Posted by Car wash , a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 19, 2014 at 7:09 pm

I helped my elderly neighbor wash their car today. It felt great.

Posted by Judi, a resident of Happy Valley
on Mar 20, 2014 at 8:06 am

I brought a bag along during my evening walk so that I could pick up garbage.

Posted by Network, a resident of Canyon Oaks
on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I helped my Grandpa reconfigure his Linksys router today.

Posted by Howdy, a resident of Birdland
on Mar 20, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I helped my kids read the thread about the two Pleasanton staff members wanting an apology from the Pleasanton Unified School District after being slandered by Teacher A and B.

Posted by Love, a resident of Country Fair
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I gave up my seat on BART on the way home tonight

Posted by Banking, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 21, 2014 at 10:36 am

I was just at the bank and let a guy with his three-year-old son go in front of me. You never know how much time a small child will give you.

Posted by Feels good, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 21, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I paid for the coffee of the guy behind me in the Starbucks drivethru. It feels good! Have a beautiful weekend!

Posted by Feels Good 2, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 28, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I helped an older woman load a heavy bag of potting soil into the back of her car.

Posted by Ellen, a resident of Valley Trails
on Apr 29, 2014 at 10:41 am

Fooey to Detractor! I love what this post has become today! I'm going to go out right now and do some random act of kindness just to spite him!!! Hoo Rah!

Posted by Reflection, a resident of Del Prado
on May 1, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I added reflector tape to all the cats in my neighborhood so they won't get hit by cars and can be spayed.

Posted by Random Acts, a resident of Pleasanton Village
on May 22, 2014 at 11:15 am

I helped the neighborhood kids retrieve their ball that had gone down the sewer.

Posted by Judy, a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on May 22, 2014 at 11:56 am

I love, love, love this thread!

Posted by Brad, a resident of Country Fair
on May 22, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I gave our mail person a bottle of water today

Posted by True Kindness, a resident of Downtown
on May 22, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I gave a homeless man a bottle of whiskey and a pack of cigarettes.

Posted by TK reply, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 23, 2014 at 8:22 am

True kindness,
Please tell me you gave him a lighter, too. Otherwise, that's simply mean.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 24, 2014 at 9:01 am

I like to put "Right" in her place plus I gave her an aspirin yesterday.

Posted by liberalism is a disease, a resident of Birdland
on May 24, 2014 at 11:58 am

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

I'm giving cholo a ride to the VA hospital for an attitude adjustment, so he can remember what's important and what is not.

Posted by Kindness, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 24, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Kindness is very important.

Posted by Right, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 24, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I'm not a female and I've never been to an insane asylum. More racist and gender vendective from Cholo and his diseased buddies.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 24, 2014 at 4:20 pm

if you're close enuf to pat an elephant on the head...please don't eat it!

Web Link

Posted by Pachyderm , a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 24, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Well said, Cholo, well said. Btw, you make our world more tolerable. Tee hee. QED.

Posted by Pachyderm , a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 24, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Also, I complimented Cholo which was kind.

Posted by Donuts, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 7, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Took the neighborhood kids for donuts today.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Jim Kohnen Post Office Signed into Law

Never Say Never -- the Perry Indictment
By Tom Cushing | 5 comments | 671 views

Patience and very deep pockets can pay off

CPRA: Balancing privacy, public's right to know
By Gina Channell-Allen | 3 comments | 481 views