PHIL ROBERTSON FOR PRESIDENT

Original post made by FREE TO HAVE AN OPINION, Castlewood, on Dec 19, 2013

***** PHIL ROBERTSON FOR PRESIDENT ***** GOD BLESS DUCK DYNASTY.
hate speech is wrong. hate crimes are wrong. physical attacks on anyone is wrong. HAVING AN OPINION IS *** NOT *** WRONG ! disagreeing with someones lifestyle is your opinion, and in this great country it is called FREEDOM OF SPEECH ! so everyone get over it. NO ONE HAS TO AGREE WITH ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY HOMOSEXUALITY. what is a sin to one person does NOT have to be considered a sin by everyone. and when so called groups like the LGTB attack / threaten people and organizations for having an opinion, than these groups are no better than the original violators of the hate speech, hate crimes they are trying to do away with. threats of intimidation, blackmail, and physical confrontation are the exact behaviors these groups have been trying to have society not send their direction. TO BE ACCEPTED IS TO BE ACCEPTING OF EVERYONES RIGHT TO HAVE AN OPINION. stop the persecution of people who you dont agree with and enjoy the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Gotta admit that I appreciate Free Speech and the US Constitution! No argument here. What qualifies as Hate Speech is something I don't quite understand. I've never watched Duck Dynasty and I'm not fully familiar with issues involved in the current controversy.

Is tracking down photos of Catholic priests and nuns who sexually abuse/rape children and vulnerable adults considered a form of free speech? I send the photos of priest/nun perpetrators to a specific website and the images are posted online.

Over the years, I've located online photos of adults who sexually abuse children that belong various faiths - Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, etc. I've done it for years. I don't find posting the images of perpetrators any different than tracking what TV stars/starlets say/do in the media. Is there a difference?

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:33 pm

What exactly is Hate Speech?

Posted by Si
a resident of Stoneridge Orchards
on Dec 19, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I'm voting for Phil and i hope to see Free to have an opinion as VP. It is a comedy show
and pretty funny to see all the yuppies in Pleasanton watch and talk about it. No such
thing as hate speech. It's one funny guys opinion. They told him 6 months ago if you
say God and Guns in the same sentence your out.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Dec 20, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I don't think that this article quite explains Hate Speech to me.

Web Link

whatever...

Posted by freespeech
a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Nothing wrong with Free speech. I have no problem with this guy speaking about his extreme views. But, I would not follow such a narrow minded bigot. And, hope fans like Ted Cruz and Half-term Gov Palin are really not that serious when they say they support him. Really, they are not that stupid but they know if comments like that support their fund raising efforts.

Posted by stand up or fall
a resident of another community
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Phil spoke the truth. He said it all was sin. The Bible says sin is sin. More people need to stand up for what is right.

Posted by Bill O'Rights
a resident of Dublin
on Dec 21, 2013 at 10:39 am

He said a great many stupid things, which he is free to do without government censorship -- THAT is the essence of free speech. If you don't understand that private speech has private consequences that have NOTHING NADA Zilch to do with the First Amendment, then kindly turn in your US citizenship card.

That his employer is also free to can him for expressing such ignorant, ridiculous tripe is also a freedom we Americans hold dear. If you truly believe that there's free speech without consequences in the private sector, try telling your boss what you really think of him -- and then be free to join that other maroon in the swamp.

Posted by Bill O'Rights
a resident of Dublin
on Dec 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

He's simple all right, but that's not "all" he said, by a long and sordid shot. But you already know that.

The man lacks the sense of a duck,
Who at least knows when he should not cluck.
I'm sick of his blather,
And frankly would rather
Change channels -- I don't give a farthing.

Posted by Just saying
on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I'm not familiar with this guy but I know his products sell big at Walmart in West Virginia. I do think he is entitled to his opinion and he can say what he wants. I also think the network is free to fire him if they choose. I wouldn't want to have to work with that guy either.

Posted by clueless
on Dec 23, 2013 at 7:55 am

JS you probably already work with a bunch of Phil Robertsons you just don't know it.

Posted by Just saying
on Dec 23, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Clueless, you are probably right, I'm sure there is a small minority of people in my office who may think like Phil Robertsen. They do not say it though, because they understand there will be professional ramifications to discussion of bible interpretation at work... And I do stress the word interpretation. The bible also has passages that forbid divorce, tattoos, and round haircuts. I am not sure if Phil has any tattoos since I haven't seen the show but I heard that some of his family does. How convenient for all of them that they choose not to take that part of the bible so literally. Again, i wouldnt want to work with that guy. Just saying...

Posted by Loved it
on Dec 23, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Most places are filled with Phil Robertson's and they usually are quiet and keep to themselves. I have had long discussions with people who are gay, have had abortions, etc. and they all know it is wrong or at least feel guilty that they made the choices that they made. They are not mad that they are living an immoral lifestyle but rather that someone quoted the bible pointing what they already know. Just let it be and let god be the judge at the end of your days. IF you are making choices that you feel will be welcomed by god why let his comments bother you?

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Dec 23, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Almost everything that I've heard about Jesus is that he loved everybody.

What's the reason that God wants to punish certain groups of people and not others? I don't understand.

Plus, I heard that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute and if so, how come Jesus married her a Cana? I find the history about the Magdalene very confusing to say the least. Maybe she's getting a bad rap?

Anyway, she and Jesus are waaaaaay over! This is 2013...that all happened centuries ago.

Besides, they were all Jews anyway.

How do people born within the last 80 years think that they know all about Jesus who live many many years ago. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Posted by anon
on Dec 24, 2013 at 9:32 am

I HATE Phil Robertson, the whole family and the show Duck Dynasty. These are backwood rednicks. I understand that some have college degrees but then they go back to the backwoods and act like idiots. The beards have got to go! I guess he forgets that he was an alcholoic wife beater before he became " a born again christian". I say remove all thoise shows that show stupidity.

Posted by right
on Dec 24, 2013 at 9:44 am

"How convenient for all of them that they choose not to take that part of the bible so literally." It is convenient and it serves as a vehicle for them to express their personal feeling about disgusting and perverse behavior by a very vocal minority. Phil bravely chose to express what many feel, but are intimidated into suppressing.

'anon', feel free to denigrate those college educated 'rednicks' as soon as you learn how to spell.

Posted by Irrelevant
on Dec 24, 2013 at 10:08 am

Right, "...express their personal feeling about disgusting and perverse behavior by a very vocal minority" I hate to tell you this but have you seen how many people in this country support gay marriage? It is the majority and growing. Sorry, but Phil is a minority, that's just how it is. He and his mean-spirited friends can continue to "bravely" express their bigotry but they are irrelevant in today's world.

Posted by Loved it
on Dec 24, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Irrelevant,

I think most people are for some type of a civil union but when asked if the union should be blessed by god I believe the answer would be different and is. People engaging in this activity know it is wrong but are looking for validation of some sort. Very similar to people fighting for abortion rights. Everyone agrees that it is killing but most who are for it have had one and want to justify the decision they made. I would like to see this question asked and tabulated in a poll. "given all the possible choices who many of you want your child to be gay when they grow up?" I bet the answer if given honestly would be less than 1%.

At the end of the day it is god's choice and decision as to where we end up. So choose wisely.

Posted by Left
a resident of Avila
on Dec 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm

The majority of the people in the planet are not Christian. Why is it that some Christians think that their's is the only God? That their religion is the only way to think? Believe? It's frustrating and disrespectful of the fact that there are a lot of other religions, even here in Pleasanton. We seem to forget that the legacy of the Christian faith is one of oppression, killing and dominance all in the name of spreading the word of god.
Homosexuality is biology and you are entitled to think it is perverse but you are not entitled to oppress others because you find them perverse. And "loved it", yes. I suspect you are correct that most parents would not choose for their child to be gay. But I suspect that's entirely based on their fears of how the child would be treated by people like you and the lovely hillbilly Mr. Robertson. I also bet if your surveyed parents less than one percent would want their child to grow up ugly for the same reasons. People can't choose to be born beautiful just as they can't choose to be born straight. We as a society can start choosing to treat each human being with the utmost respect and dignity. I think that's in the bible somewhere.

Posted by Seriously
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Dec 24, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I think the majority religion is probably Islam. How do they view homosexuality?

Posted by Grant Breslow
a resident of Canyon Meadows
on Dec 24, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I merely want to say that I am very impressed with the level of discourse here. I've learned a great deal, and only wish that these commentators might flee Pleasanton in order to join the Ducks, where they can swear at wild squirrels, call them any name they want, without fear of retaliation from bosses who demand civility in their employees' speech.

Posted by Greg Lewis
a resident of Bonde Ranch
on Dec 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Grant,

Unfortunately for you there are more of us coming this way than going the other way. Freedom of speech cut both left and unfortunately for you right as well. Mark my words, people are going to really begin to speak their minds and the only thing worse than that I silence because you can only guess what they are thinking.

Posted by Friends
on Dec 24, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I am a parent and if my children end up gay I really wouldn't mind. There is a list of things I care way more about, such as being kind, open-minded, happy, fulfilled, creative, etc.... I have a gay brother and a straight sister. My brother is a great person, while my sister has a lot of problems finding fulfillment. . I would have no problem if one of my children was gay. I think most people who truly have gay friends and family members would not mind having gay children, which is many many people. The above poster who says people don't want gay children must just be talking about people in her church or something... Not the general public.

Posted by Jill
a resident of Castlewood
on Dec 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Friends,

With all due respect I believe that the question is what would you prefer for your children? Would you prefer one or the other not what you would accept. Friends just a question but did you come from a broken family?

Posted by daveg
on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:39 am

I think it's time for the PW to cut off Ms. Cholo. Her remarks have gone from being silly to down right nasty. There is no reason at all for anybody to make crude, rude comments about others.

Posted by nancy s.
on Dec 29, 2013 at 12:11 pm

nancy s. is a registered user.

I agree with anon. Do you guy know this guys past? He was a low life, wife beater and drunkard....now he spouts the bible. I guess it was OK for him to be what everyone considers to be a "sinner", but it is not OK for others that participate in things he considers a "sin". HYPOCRITE! Just because you are college educated doesn't mean you aren't IGNORANT, which Phil Robertson is. I wish TV networks would stop and think of profits less and humans more. Where do these people think that the world will go back to those ignorant "REDNICK" ways (spelled wrong on purpose. The world has evolved...there should be no discrimination based on sex, skin color, sexual orientation.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Prop 47: not perfect, just preferable.
By Tom Cushing | 2 comments | 909 views

The Vranesh situation heads to court