What Happen to Californians?

Original post made by Cindy on Dec 4, 2013

I'm a native San Francisican born in 1947. I've always lived in the Bay Area. My husband unfortunately passed away earlier this year. I love living here but had to make a life decision to move closer to my son & his family. Not a decision that came easy to me. I have the the perfect life here with the most wonderful neighbors & friends. I have a true sense of community, everyone here has been supportive and understanding that me & my 2 dogs are going to build our new nest in NC. Turning the page on our new adventure, starting on page one.
That being said, I took advantage of Small Business Saturday in downtown Pleasanton. Wonderful merchants taking the time to visit with me while I shopped in their stores. I believe shopping downtown allows me to support the downtown merchant association. While talking with one merchant, she asked me how I felt about leaving CA. Not easy for a native by any means, but here's the reason. While talking with her a customer chimed in our conversation. She said "Oh NC, why would anyone ever move THERE?" Her attitude is precisely why I don't want to be here anymore! What happened to her? What makes her think she's any better than all the wonderful people I've met while visiting NC? While buying my new home 2 neighbors stopped & introduced themselves, one of which invited me into her home.
What happened to Califorians? Are you so self absorbed that you think you're better than anyone else? I think I made the perfect decision not to live with people with such bad attitudes! I'm looking forward to being in a state that is welcoming.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Dec 4, 2013 at 10:34 am

Tie on your hat because you will soon meet up with a few serious storms!

HAPPY TRAILS!

Posted by David Thompson, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

Yeah, well NC has a bevy of zinger voter restriction laws. Who wouldn't want that ... or your neighbors asking you 'where do you worship?' as the first question they ask you.

Posted by Because, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Because most who live in Cakifornia came from someplace else. It seems most of the countries weirdos came here and settled. That said, North Carolina is a beautiful state with very nice and friendly people and you will love it there.

Posted by Left the South, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm

The South has changed so much in past years. Glad to move to California. Would love to hear from you in a year!

Posted by Voter, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 6, 2013 at 12:06 am

There's a huge difference between 'restriction' and 'verification'. Every state should want to have a fair process. Real ID (not a utility bill from some foreigner who's renting an apt) should be required to register, and voting should be limited to 'citizens', and just one vote in one location!!
aka integrity!!

Posted by David Thompson, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:50 am

Nope. You're wrong again, Voter. When elderly are restricted from voting because of unrealistic ID requirements, when college kids are restricted because their student ID's aren't accepted, this isn't voter verification. It's voter restriction.

North Carolina has not had any noteworthy instances of voter fraud. Its shameless voter restriction laws are intended solely to reduce numbers of African-American voters, much like earlier poll tax in South. Its voter restriction laws are anti-democratic, and transparently so. This is yet another reason why Repubs will not win another nat'l election in the foreseeable future. No policies to offer, only restrictions of the vote. Repubs are too stupid to realize that majority of Americans are not as stupid as Repubs are.

Posted by Tarheel, a resident of Bonde Ranch
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

David, you are not telling the truth I live in Greenville and all you need to vote is a drivers license or some form of government issued photo ID the purpose is to reduce fraud. As a side note are you aware that David Thompson and his sister are both very prominent residents of North Carolina as well as registered Libertarians for reducing the size if government. Have you self just a wonderful day and remember to always tell the truth and rather than run down other wonderful states you should talk up the great things in your state.

Posted by Voter, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:47 am

DT,odd, to get an aspirin or have your temperature taken you have to show and ID at medical facilities. like Kaiser, on Medicare, or Medicaid or not. Somehow, the Medicaid elderly manage to comply, but suddenly to vote a photo becomes impossible. SO phony! The US is flooded with long-term international visitors. In any group today, there are more with accents than not. A utility bill should not be accepted as proof of citizenship. Mexico requires proof of citizenship to vote in their elections. If you valued your own citizenship, you should want integrity in our process. I resent you trying to destroy or leave cracks in our process. I value my citizenship and have a right to expect integrity in our process.

Posted by Dean Smith, a resident of Bridle Creek
on Dec 6, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I understand, Voter, and Tarheel too, that you're uncomfortable with women, African-Americans, people with foreign accents, and young people. It must be terrible to be so frightened with all these people around you. Moreover, since your world is a diminishing one, it must grate on you a great deal. Those are the breaks. Sorry.

As for Tarheel's rather laughable embrace of truthfulness, please see the link blow.

Web Link

Mention of David Thompson? He was a bust as a pro basketball player, and a bust as a person in that he succumbed to drug addiction for many years. Bad life decisions continue to plague this sorry soul. Now, almost penniless, he allows the KKK and other so-called libertarians to exploit his name as a poster child for their fascist beliefs.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Dec 7, 2013 at 4:00 pm

(Post deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Right, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 7, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Cindy, the answer to your original question is that elitist liberals have taken over this once great state. They have been in power for more than 40 years, governing the states decline.
Their concern is for their own selfish, altruistic goals that include income redistribution, endless unfunded social programs for non producers, lowering education standards, promoting union mediocrity in the workplace, and an attitude that excludes all who don't follow in lockstep with their misguided utopian plans.
Pity those of us who haven't made it out of this state yet. I wonder what will become of this leeches once their host has moved on.......

Posted by liberalism is a disease, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

cholo believe/believes that the state must be going in the right direction because he received/receives his handout every month. This is what keeps the left in power...dumbing down the masses by making them dependent on money confiscated from producers in our state economy. Go cold turkey, get off the drugs.

Posted by Left the South, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 11, 2013 at 9:10 am

No Swartznegger is not coming back Right. Keep up the good work Jerry!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.