Mangia Mi

Original post made by Bill Carman, Country Fair, on Dec 2, 2013

Mangia Mi which, in English means ..., is the latest in a long line of mediocre Italian restaurants in Pleasanton. Nice bar, contemporary setting and good service but the food was average. It never fails to amaze me that a great city like ours doesn't have one, really good, upscale place to eat.

Posted by Daveg
on Dec 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Daveg is a registered user.

I would have to respectively disagree with Bill's commentary regarding Mangia Mi.
My wife is a true blue Italian and we have eaten there twice now, hopefully many more times to go again, and were very pleased both times with the food.
Additionally they had a nice write up in Diablo magazine.
Would encourage others to patronize Mangia Mi and form their own opinions also.
I doubt that Ms. Cholo has even visited the restaurant. Her comments, as usual, add nothing of value to any conversation

Posted by Henri
a resident of another community
on Dec 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm

$17 for a plate a spaghetti that looks like it may have come from a Chef Boyardee can. What's not to like? Still trying to wrap my head around what it must be like to be a 'true blue' Italian.

Posted by Jack
on Dec 2, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Jack is a registered user.

I will never forget the time the proprietor of Bruno's told me, "I serve the same steak they serve at Wente's. I have the freshest fish specials, and I only hire chefs not cooks. My biggest seller is my lasagna. My lasagna I get from Stouffers. The people of Pleasanton love frozen lasagna!"
That said, I like Mangia Mi. I also think DeLaTorre's is as good as it gets in town...

Posted by resident
on Dec 2, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I have been there once. Only once, never again. We were seated in the noisiest room imaginable, next to a table of very drunk people. The waitress kept serving them drink after drink (which, BTW, is not legal when serving obviously drunk people) and we finally left without waiting for our dinner.
The place seems to be designed for noise. Combine that with people so drunk they were literally falling off their chairs and it is not a place I would ever consider again.

Posted by Daveg
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Daveg is a registered user.

Henri,
"True Blue" is a term frequently used that means "The Real Thing"
Here's a wonderful little poem for you also that uses the term "True Blue"
Not sure who the author is. Enjoy!

Once in a blue moon
There's a blue sky
I wear my blue jeans and fly my blue kite
Hangs like a bluebird, until the wind dies
And then the tears pour
Out of my blue eyes

If it's your birthday
We'll bake a blue cake
And then we'll eat it off these blue plates
'Cause kid I don't know much about you
But I like you
because you're true blue

Posted by Henri
a resident of another community
on Dec 3, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thank you, Daveg. I thought you may have been referring to True Blue the race horse.