Mormons, Boy Scouts mark 100th year of alliance

Original post made on Oct 29, 2013

The Pleasanton stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) will join in a nationwide multi-media celebration today celebrating the church's 100th anniversary of its affiliation with the Boy Scouts of America.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 6:14 AM

Posted by Christopher Hitchens, a resident of Downtown
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

I'm a former scout. But, I'm an atheist these days. As of this year, gays are allowed in the scouts. But, atheists are still blatantly discriminated against and barred from joining the scounts. Am I still welcome at an event like this? I would certainly like to help celebrate all that is good about the scouts. But, I don't want to be run out with pitchforks either. What's a heathen to do?

Posted by Fed Up, a resident of Las Positas
on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Christopher...
And Christians are being run out of the public square so cry me a river!

Posted by Christopher Hitchens, a resident of Downtown
on Oct 30, 2013 at 7:38 am

Christopher Hitchens is a registered user.

Fed Up - Not feeling a lot of sympathy here. Religion is a private matter. Let's keep it there. It doesn't need to be in the public square.

Your complaint seems to be that you're receiving push back from people who don't want their tax dollars used to help religious organizations to proselytize. Are you opposed to following our laws?

Posted by Nice try, a resident of Downtown
on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Is there a form you fill out when joining the Scouts that asks if you're an atheist? I don't recall being asked by the Scouts if I was an atheist, or gay for that matter. If you don't like their program, go somewhere else.

Posted by Chris, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm

My partner and I are both openly gay males who have recently married. We love kids, we love the outdoors, and we'd love to be Scout Masters. I realize both Mormons and the Scouts have been very tolerant of human diversity over the years, so may I presume neither the Mormons or Scouts will have a problem with this?

Posted by Right, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 30, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Chris, the Mormons are working their way through the 'diversity' alphabet and haven't made their way to sodomy yet. I believe they are still stuck on a related topic, pedophilia. Maybe once they figure out all the benefits of that affliction, they will move on to your situation.

Posted by Lance, a resident of Parkside
on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Oh, because sodomy is a sin, right? And gays are pedophiles, right? My, Right, you must feel terribly put upon by people who aren't boring like yourself. I bet even your wife finds you boring. Yep, it's a sin. Right up there with eating pork.

Posted by Ken Mano, a resident of Willow West
on Nov 1, 2013 at 9:31 am

Gee, I didn't think an announcement about a Scouting / LDS event would cause so much controversy, but I guess both groups are a bit controversial for some. Certainly, there was no checking at the door for gays or atheists, everyone was welcome and could even share in the refreshments (or crackerbarrel as we scouts call it). Scouting does have an oath which includes doing one's duty to God & Country and Mormons expect a belief in Christ, so those are necessary when joining either one, just as one needs to declare alliegence to our country when beooming a citizen. Anyhow, it was a great presentation, over a million people have seen it and it is available on line at: Web Link and yes, anyone can look at it.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.