WE NEED A GREAT BURGER PLACE ON MAIN ST

Original post made by becky whitaker on May 10, 2013

So tired of all the Italian restaurants! We need a great burger place that has a some great salads too, fun atmosphere and lots of different burgers to choose from. It would be a hit!!!!

Posted by Meryl, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2013 at 11:25 am

Burgers are very unhealthy for you and your children. It's amazing we enlightened Americans haven't yet acknowledged what are some of the major causes of cancer and heart disease. That's right, fatty, bloody, red meat. Do you want a large order of fries with your order? How about some extra super chunky ranch dressing poured over those fries? And what burger and fries meal would be complete without an extra large soda - with free refills! Feast away my little piggies!

Posted by Mary, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on May 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm

We just need more of a variety, like the Livermore Downtown.. there is a place for all types of food down there... it would be great to get a place like Sauced, Pleasanton Brewery has great food, but does not have the atmosphere like First Street Ale House in Livermore. The Gastropub food in pleasanton is not the greatest.. it would be nice to have more family friendly places, and less Italian restaurants.. I do love when Summer comes around, the atmosphere in Pleasanton picks up, the first Wednesday block party was great last week.. I am looking forward to concert in the park.. too bad we can have that kind of atmosphere every weekend downtown..

Posted by burger bob, a resident of Downtown
on May 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm

and we enjoy every bite, with fried potatoes, and a large soda.
so what's it to you? at least we are all happy.

Posted by Maria, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Puh-lease. Do you know the amount of calories in a "healthier" option such as a sandwich? Once you add up all the bread, cheese, and meat, it stacks up! People are lulled into a false belief that their eating habits are healthier when they eat a sandwich as opposed to a burger or pizza, but I've done the calculations. While a sandwich is the lesser of all the evils, it's a meal that's still guilty of high caloric content when you eat a full sandwich, a bag of chips, and a soda (which is what most people do...)

Portion control and limiting your burger intake to the occasional treat, rather than an everyday meal, is the key. Why should we be punished for the bad habits of others?

Posted by Meryl, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm

As long as you pay the additional medical bills for you AND your kids (this aspect of responsible parenting I'll not comment on) - you know, all that comes along with fat-based meat diets, fried foods, and big sodas then no worries. In fact, given your philosophy of life (and premature death, for you and your children), all I can say is: You go, Burger Bob, stuff your face and clog your arteries to your heart's content!

Posted by Meryl, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2013 at 1:50 pm

... or should I have said: stuff your face and clog your arteries to your heart's discontent.

Maria, who mentioned meat sandwiches as an alternative. Is that the best alternative you can offer? Puh-lease. Gee, I can't serve my kids a burger and fries, and we had pizza the last four nights in a row, so I guess I'll give them a meat sandwich with chips and soda instead. Maria, have you ever heard of a salad? Believe it or not, salads aren't merely that option you dismiss when considering fries or salad with your fatty, artery clogging burger or meat sandwich.

You might consider trying it, and it may give your kids a few extra years of life down the road as well. That and maybe consulting a nutritionist for yourself and those you're responsible for.

Posted by Homer, a resident of Deer Oaks/Twelve Oaks
on May 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Bring back the BJ Corral

Posted by downtown shopper, a resident of Downtown
on May 10, 2013 at 2:38 pm

What we need is a place where dogs don't and kids outnumber the paying customers. I have stopped eating anywhere that allows dogs to slobber all over me. My dogs stay at home because, guess what Pleasantonians? -- dogs don't belong everywhere!
If Becky is so set on a burger place then she should open it up herself. It's pathetic how so many of you tell us what needs to be downtown but you don't do a thing to make it happen. If you know so much about being a business owner, then be one. Just don't be surprised when the people in this town try to beat your prices at Walmart or online. It's a way of life in this entitled town.

Posted by burger bob, a resident of Downtown
on May 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm

1st, how do you know i have kids, 2nd who are you to tell me what i can and cannot eat. who named you portion police.
it's my life and if i want to eat sandwiches, meat, fish, poultry or veggies who are you to say i cannot. God bless America, land of the free. so go and have some tofu, hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoy my burger.

Posted by Meryl, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm

A little bit defensive there, don't ya think Bob? I hope you don't have kids. I'm not trying to tell you what to eat; I'm only suggesting that the burgers and fries and big gulps you so relish are bad for your health, and bad for the health of your kids, too, if you have any, and I hope you don't. I have not named myself the portion police. In fact, I'm with you! God bless America, a place where dumb people are free to become as obese as they wish. Hey, Bob, be sure to put a couple slabs of bacon, a goodly dollop of mayo, and extra cheese on that burger.

Posted by burger bob, a resident of Downtown
on May 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm

yes, that's right. and you know what. it takes one dumber person (you) to know another one. you make it sound that's all i eat.
have YOU heard of moderation and a balanced diet. well i do and having a burger every once in a while isn't going to kill me.
let me ask you ms. healthy, how often do you get up off your butt and exercise. i do often, to burn it all off and stay healthy so i can eat what i want.

Posted by Meryl, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Boy, Bacon Burger Bob holds on to these myths of old, brought to us by Fast Food America. Eat poison in moderation. Right. And saturate your innards with enough fat calories to last for two weeks, and convince yourself that, after putting your heart at risk with poisonous food, you can then double down and work your heart while it is encased in fat. He eats burgers in moderation. Yup, that's why he calls himself burger bob. Yup. Try a salad today, Bob, sans bacon bits and blue cheese dressing, if you can. You'll feel better and have a better temperament too.

Posted by bitter meryl, a resident of Downtown
on May 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

"God bless America, a place where dumb people are free to become as obese as they wish". Wow, bitter much, meryl? Let me guess--militant vegetarian? I thought so......it's not wonder you're so unhappy, condescending and judgmental. Maybe some meat based protein is what your body and brain are craving and you're so self-righteous, you can't admit it. Go get some exercise and fresh air meryl, then you won't feel so guilty about wanting meat. It would make you almost human.....

Posted by Meryl, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 10, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I've got a secret for you, Bacon Burger Bob. The reason so many people put gobs of mustard, ketchup, mayo, cheese and all manner of other salt-sugar-fat sauces on their hamburgers is because hamburgers are tasteless. It's dead meat - more suited for buzzards than for human beings. But your addicted fat cells, always crying out for more (oh, I'll exercise tomorrow), ignore the tastelessness. Why is it that almost anywhere that serves burgers one must request to have one served dry? Why? Because putrified dead meat is tasteless, and so the hamburger joints devise all manner of disguise -- barbeque, teriyucki, ... well, I'm sure Bacon Burger Boy has tried them all.

Posted by burger bob, a resident of Downtown
on May 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm

AMEN!! bitter meryl.
hey, it's dinner time. guess what's on?
ha.ha.
chow for now.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 10, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Have any of you ever considered eating crow? just asking...

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 11, 2013 at 10:10 am

well well well...Homer is back...stopped chewing corn to say some something a by's...hmmmmmmmmmmmm...very very very curious...

Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 11, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I have a suspicion that "Meryl" started this blog just as a platform for her vegan rant.

Posted by dublinmike, a resident of Dublin
on May 12, 2013 at 10:59 pm

dublinmike is a registered user.

Hokey smokes, the most reaction to the Forum is about BURGERS?

Posted by Maria, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Meryl, as it happens, I have a CSA (community-supported agriculture) membership and I do a lot of my own cooking (in fact, last night I had salade nicoise). But every once in a while, I like to take a night off and eat downtown and gee, I happen to like burgers. I also happen to like having options about what I can eat downtown, and when all you've got to choose from is overpriced Italian, then it's time for change.

Get off your high horse; it's people like you who are ruining it for the slow food movement. My entire point about sandwiches was that they can be just as bad for your health if you're not being careful about portion control (because seriously, who needs a footlong sandwich?...) If there was a burger place that offered good quality patties, reasonably-sized (quarter pounders or less), and a variety of filler options (including VEGETABLES), then I seriously doubt that we would witness an obesity spike...

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I think that Burger Bobs sign off with CROW FOR NOW is very funny!

tee hee...

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on May 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I think that Burger Bobs sign off with CROW FOR NOW is very funny!

tee hee...

Posted by Meryl, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 13, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Yes, Maria, belonging to a cooking club and weighing 400 lbs. So what's the big whoop?

Salade Nicoise? Yummmm. Gotta love that toxic tuna in it, yes? Please don't feed to your kids. It's a strong contributor to autism.

Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on May 13, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Sure Meryl, don't forget the murderous and evil eggs, cheese, yogurt and milk!

Posted by Allen, a resident of Birdland
on Aug 23, 2013 at 10:49 am

If you want Burgers, go to Mac Donald's Wendy's or In and Out. No Burger Joints Downtown, thank you.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.