Remember when Pleasanton was "Pleasanton"?

Original post made by Buford on Oct 6, 2009

Here is a little country song I wrote called "When Pleasanton was Pleasanton". Enjoy!

I'll never forget when Pleasanton was Pleasanton
Back in 1984 when Reagan kept America strong
Before Main St. got all liberal and trendy
When everyone drove a pickup and read the Bible

I remember waving the Ameican flag with daddy on those warm Pleasanton nights
Before sissy public transportation and BART came here
We didn't need no API scores to know our schools were doing right
When we ate good ol' meatloaf at Haps every night

Oh I remember when Pleasanton was Pleasanton
San Francisco values seemed so far away
Oh I remember when Pleasanton was Pleasanton
When we listened to Kenny Rogers all day long

I remember how a handshake in Pleasanton used to mean something
And everybody looked you in the eye
We didn't need no fancy sidewalks on Main Street
Just a heavy dose of good ol' American Pride

Now it almost makes me cry to think back to those days
Before Pleasanton got all open minded and soft
This ain't the America that I remember as a boy
Boy I tell you I want to bring old Pleasanton back

Oh I remember when Pleasanton was Pleasanton
We didn't need no sushi restaurants
Oh I remember when Pleasanton was Pleasanton
Just hunting for ducks before Hacienda Business Park

Posted by USA! USA!, a resident of Mohr Park
on Oct 6, 2009 at 2:50 pm

AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by John, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Oct 6, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Sound like a red neck song

Posted by Pleasanton Parent, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 6, 2009 at 3:52 pm

(Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Stay Cool, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 6, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I've missed you, Buford!

Posted by Patriot Liberal, a resident of Downtown
on Oct 6, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Remember when Americans were respected by one another regardles of ther beliefs and we we not divided and shoved into degrating little boxes the way most conservaitves are doing now?

Posted by M, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:35 pm

1) what tune is this set to?

2) these words could apply to countless towns in america. don't infer you have anything to woe about. you're damn lucky to live in pleasanton with all the sushi bars and sf influences. go live somewhere else fo 6 mos and see how much you prefer pton.

3) i'm sure the chefs at hap's would be happy to cook you meatloaf every night.

Posted by Privatize, a resident of another community
on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:49 pm

SPOKEN LIKE A REAL AMERICAN.

Posted by Sarah, a resident of Birdland
on Oct 6, 2009 at 11:16 pm

I lived in Pleasanton in 1984. I don't have any problems with the way things are now. If everyone was closed minded and opposed to progress and change like you are, we wouldn't even have the internet for you to post this on.

Posted by Jerry, a resident of Oak Hill
on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:31 am

"Sound like a red neck song"...

What makes a "red neck" a "red neck"...

On the other hand, I might not want to know. I just might be one...:)

Posted by What?, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 7, 2009 at 8:30 am

In other words, when Pleasanton was WHITE??? Get over it.

Posted by SteveP, a resident of Parkside
on Oct 7, 2009 at 8:42 am

SteveP is a registered user.

What?---you race-baiting troll. Did he ever mention or infer race anywhere in his post?
You myopic Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton types make me want to hurl. No one can take you serious when you think everything is about race. Get over yourself and get the chip off your shoulder-OR- quit being such a whiny bleeding heart.

Posted by Arroyo, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 7, 2009 at 8:49 am

Those that long for the old time values and integrity, understand -- those that do not, never will.

Posted by SteveP, a resident of Parkside
on Oct 7, 2009 at 8:52 am

SteveP is a registered user.

Well said, Arroyo. It makes me wonder where people like 'what?' came from and why they insist on dragging everyone down with them.

Posted by JuniorS, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:05 am

Good point about API scores. But ridin' around in a pick-up with a flag in one hand and a Bible in the other? Gag me! I'm glad wine racks have replaced gun racks.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:16 am

You forgot to mention the Ohlone? Does anybody remember that they were around before you took over?

Posted by Senior Citizen, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:30 am

This is my first and last comment ever as it is the last time I will read the forum. Every topic turns into racism, politics, sarcasim, negativity, you people really need to turn your thoughts to something positive and useful.

Posted by Annon, a resident of Downtown
on Oct 7, 2009 at 10:17 am

You've only been here since 1984 and have THAT opinion!! hahaha! You know NOTHING!!! I've been here in P-town all my life - since 1959 - I could go on - but you just wouldn't understand.....

Posted by John, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Oct 7, 2009 at 10:37 am

...oh yeah, God forbid we should be open minded!

Posted by mike V, a resident of Downtown
on Oct 7, 2009 at 11:53 am

Cute, little innocent song. Ya did lose me though on the Reagan line.

One can only imagine someone back in the early 80's wrote a song similiar song regarding Pleasanton in the 60's.

Posted by lyndalu, a resident of Amador Estates
on Oct 7, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Thank God Pleasanton changed since then, it sounded horrible in the 80's! Everyone drove a pick up truck and ate meatloaf and listened to Kenny Rogers! Did everyone in Pleasanton used to be trailer trash or was it just you?

Posted by Downtowner, a resident of Downtown
on Oct 7, 2009 at 1:13 pm

You had us going until "Before Pleasanton got all open minded". Nice parody/satire, but don't quit yer day job.

Posted by Robert, a resident of Valley Trails
on Oct 7, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Nostalgia usually makes us romanticize "the old days", no matter what the old days were (to us). Usually not as perfect as our memories would lead us to believe.

Posted by Chris, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Remember when taco's were bigger at Taco Bell? I was there last night and it looked mini!

Posted by amazon, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 7, 2009 at 7:59 pm

re. Steve P's comment above - while this doesn't specifically mention race - it does contain several references to not wanting "outsiders" (i.e. keeping out SF values or the arrival of liberals). Race message may not blantly be there but same overall idea is still communicated, I'm confused by the line - "before Pleasanton got opened minded." The Bible teaches one to have compassion and respect for others. How can one do that if they are not open minded?

Posted by Sal, a resident of Downtown
on Feb 16, 2014 at 5:45 pm

These are Pleasanton values?

Posted by HA, a resident of Del Prado
on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I remember when Pleasanton was country. We had a house in Happy Valley on 5 acres with horses. It's to bad the newbies came in and complained about the wonderful smell of the country and the city suits agreed. Well it felt good to sell high and i really enjoyed laughing all the way to the bank. Things will never stay the same so just change and let it go Bro.

Buford, Country songs are about your dog dying,wife leaving,and tears in your beer.

Posted by conserv, a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:04 am

EVERYTHING that has made America Great is being destroyed by the SOCIALIST DEMOCRATS.

These include...

- Strong national defense
- Strong economy
- Strong family values
- Reliance on our own energy resources
- Quality education
- Reliance on the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights
- Low unemployment
- High level of freedom

All of the above values, and others, are being destroyed by Democrats who hate this Country.

Posted by Brandon, a resident of Canyon Oaks
on Feb 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Gee. A silly song creates an argument about politcs. Almost as bad as the people insulting the teacher on this article. Web Link

Posted by Buford , a resident of Birdland
on Feb 24, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I'm back and better than ever. Look out for my new country hit songs "Sprouse Reitz Values" and "Dancin' on Main Street"

Posted by Loni, a resident of Bonde Ranch
on Jun 11, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I miss those days. Those sweet freedom days

Posted by Daveg, a resident of Birdland
on Jun 11, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Daveg is a registered user.

Ms. Cholo, then you must be overjoyed that he was defeated by a Tea Party Member! Kind of destroys most of your previous remarks on PW.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jun 11, 2014 at 8:55 pm

I greatly appreciate the "R" party in-fighting! It's so tickle tickly funny and dumps a special flavor on the election. Come November in CA, the "R's" will continue to duke it out and many will most likely vote for Democrats in protest!

I have no problem with the Tea Party. Why not a Tea Party member? There's minimal difference between traditional "R's" tee-pees!

In my waaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaay private opinion Plutonians, what's his name got defeated and he is truly shocked and hurting emotionally. His family and children are also very upset...tee hee...loved viewing their faces on TV.

It's time for a polite party/celebration...tee hee hee...

Come NOVEMBER...most of you already that the "R's" and tee-pees are already aware they will have quite a struggle in CA!

tee hee hee...tee hee hee...

Posted by Joe Schmo, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jun 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

Buford...

I would venture to guess I have been in Ptown just as long, if not longer, than you (1972 off and on with college). Sure have a lot of complaints about it...yet, you are STILL here. Why? Sounds like you might be better off somewhere like Mississippi or Louisiana.

Try to remember this....nowhere else in this country can you buy a house in the 1970's and the value in 2014 has increased by 1000%. That is all due to all of the "negative" things you have mentioned in your "song". Might want to do a spell check before you post things as well. LOL.

Posted by Curious, a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 12, 2014 at 9:55 am

I think everyone posting comments needs to check their sarcasm meters. Maybe I am wrong but I think Buford's song was a send-up of present day conservative or right wing ideology.

Posted by Kevin, a resident of Del Prado
on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Yikes.

Posted by Student, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jun 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Yikes is right!!! I can not believe this topic surfaced again! I must say, as a liberal, I found this song to be horrible but also a little amusing. If you too found this funny, I encourage you to type "Buford" into the search bar and look at all the ridiculous results. I personally found Buford's rant about building a Walmart in Downtown Pleasanton to be the most ridiculous and comical.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Understanding Early Decision in College Admissions
By Elizabeth LaScala | 1 comment | 1,899 views

New heights for NIMBYs

When those covering the news become the news
By Gina Channell-Allen | 1 comment | 903 views