Jerry the "Mayor" downtown at Tully's and Bikers

Original post made by Mary, Birdland, on Jun 26, 2009

Who is this Jerry guy that people call "the mayor" who hangs around with all the bikers downtown?

He seems friendly enough, or even a bit to friendly to me.

Also, whats with all these bikers smoking cigarettes and hanging around for so long.

Do these folks live here in town? Many seem nice enough and a few look pretty down and out.

As a young female, I have noticed these guys staring at me and have even heard remarks that bother me.

Any input here?

Posted by Lena
on Jun 26, 2009 at 9:51 am

Ah, "jerry the mayor".. Jerry used to live in Pleasanton. I don't know where he lives now, but he is downtown by Tully's on a daily basis. Yes, he is quite the womanizer, but hey, he's a man.
I don't know anything else about him. The bikers are relatively harmless, although yes it can be uncomfortable to walk by when there are a lot of them. They certainly don't try to pretend not to look at the woman. The cigarette smoking can get overwhelming when walking buy or eating in the patio. Like it or not, thats part of Pleasanton.

Posted by lauraP
a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Jun 26, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I feel like these folks are looking right through me. My young daughters have complained about the staring and comments as well.

I only see these bikers downtown and I don't think they reside in Pleasanton.

Last summer I saw confrontations within the biker crowd on two occasions. On on occasion it was a worn out looking older lady confronting an older Pleasanton lady, threatening to beat her up.

Posted by Stella
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Jerry is very much harmless. wonderful man. Maybe you should stop and say hello to him,

As for laura talking about bikers that you don't think live in P-town... should we put gates on the city so no outsiders can come in? I don't think so.

Posted by Bella
a resident of Las Positas
on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:03 am

I guess they are harmless enough even though perhaps annoying to young ladies who are easy game for immature men in a group. To each their own as long as they don't pee, trash or drink alcohol there. But really, don't have have anything else to do all day, everyday? Better than being a shut in I suppose.

Posted by Wolf Daddy
on Oct 30, 2013 at 9:03 pm

So we aren't supposed to even look at a young female anymore? God forbid we say something to you or about you. You're lucky anyone looks at you with that attitude.

You should wear your nuns habit when venturing outdoors so all those evil leering old men won't annoy or molest you. Maybe they were noticing how fat you were for your age. Go and cover up now, before we go blind!

Posted by Resident
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Oct 30, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I don't care who hangs out on the Tully's Plaza.......however I do care about good citizenship in our town and at least some of them don't have it. They smoke in large groups and the waft of smoke permeates the whole area. I recently overheard someone politely ask them if they could possibly smoke to the side of the building as the seats were all taken and the smoke was billowing in everyone's face. Several of them gave her a hard time and told her they were well within their rights to smoke there and they weren't about to stop. Then they all lit up in harmony. I thought that was incredibly rude. I don't understand why the city of Pleasanton allows this to happen.

Posted by resident
on Oct 31, 2013 at 6:10 am

While the smoke is annoying, what is even worse are the kids who loiter there slopping their ice cream everywhere (thankfully that might now be less of a problem with Coldstone gone), taking up all the tables and then leaving their trash lie around. They skateboard on the walkway on the planters and down the stairs, ignoring the posted signs. I'll take some useless old codgers any day to the punks that I have had to put up with for all of these years. Come on parents, teach your kids some manners!

Posted by Smiley Face
a resident of Castlewood
on Oct 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm

What we need is a noise ordinance to keep these bikers out of our town and let us enjoy some peace and quiet downtown.

Posted by mrs bob
a resident of Pleasanton Village
on Nov 1, 2013 at 8:59 am

The smoke is more harmful to everybody than the I've cream & skateboarding. ..I certainly do not wish to inhale smoke v into my lungs or my b kids when I choose to eat or drink at or around tully's. If too many people object to this, business could be affected. I would choose another place to eat or drink whilst there are lots of smokers around. Nothing worse than trying to eat & you get a Woft of smoke in with that mouthful. That would be the end of that meal. They have a right to be there like anyone else but some consideration on their behalf on their smoke habits would be greatful.

Posted by resident
on Nov 1, 2013 at 9:25 am

For those who want the smoke gone -- and that includes me -- write to the building owner, Craig Semmelmeyer (any of the stores can give you his contact info) and tell him that you will stop patronizing any stores in that plaza until smoking is banned on the plaza property. It's private property and he CAN do that. All tenants in his properties have to pay him a percentage of their gross sales so loss of sales will directly affect him. I have not written because I already stopped patronizing those businesses due to the loud and obnoxious kids, the old guys were rarely around when I was there. Too bad that we have to legislate common sense and manners but it would appear that we do.

Posted by Arroyo
on Nov 1, 2013 at 11:23 am

Why don't we just ask these unruly motorcyclist visitors to take their business to another city?

Or, better yet, maybe we could put up some toll booths at the entry points to our special little city to help offset law enforcement costs associated with dealing with these unruly outsiders.

I really destest their challenge to the Pleasanton "decorum" by their intolerable actions -- including their smoking habits (occasionally using un-filtered brands), littering (plastic stir sticks), drinking of tap-water (versus the healthier bottled Evian water), loud noises and air pollution (loud flatulence and starting their bikes), water pollution (oil runoff from the motorcycles, if it ever rains again), global warming (or, is it "climate change" -- Jerry Brown really has me confused about this one), use of plastic bags (I was told they bring them in from other cities), low Polar Bear population (I heard one of them say he could care less about the Polar Bears, but sure missed never being able to see any Passenger Pigeons), sexual harassment (I think one of them made a pass at my grandmother) -- and, oh yeah, how about the adverse effects on our property values when word gets out that these motorcyclists actually enjoy visiting our enclave of Nimbyism.(this is a big one)...!

Enyoy your weekend -- and, remember, we live in a city inhabited by people who could reside in a cartoon strip...