State cuts to schools

Original post made by Stephen on Nov 11, 2008

My neighbor, who works as a teacher in the Pleasanton Schools told me that because of the state budget, the schools are going to cut conferences for teachers. If that is the case then I hope that administrators will also cut the conferences they go to. My neighbor told me that at some conferences, she has seen more than one administrator, can they just get the information and pass it around? Teachers do that, don't they?

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 12, 2008 at 9:17 pm

I am glad they are cutting conferences for teachers. They should also cut all that nonsense about late start day and so many early dismissal days, as well as too many staff development days.

Posted by Qwerty, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 12, 2008 at 9:31 pm

I also heard on one of the local radio stations that certain schools are being closed. I don't recall what district it was in though. What a sad state of affairs.

Posted by CheapSkate, a resident of Avignon
on Nov 14, 2008 at 8:17 am

Both the private and public sector need to tighten thier belts. I know it is unlikely, but teacher and administrator salaries should also be reduced - not to mention police and firefighters. The boom times are over for now...

Posted by Bruce, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Nov 14, 2008 at 9:49 am

The next time you go to the polls to pass $15 billion in bond issues that say they will not increase your taxes, like a $9 billion high speed rail, or another 5,000 acres of parkland that we do not have access to, remember that those bonds are being paid out of the general fund. For you non-economists, that means less money for schools and essential services. Use your votes more wisely and the schools will have more money allocated to them.

Posted by Jason, a resident of Country Fair
on Nov 14, 2008 at 10:24 am

CheapSkate--you need to be mugged or assaulted or have your house burn or have a heart attack; maybe cut some digits off your hand while carelessly sawing some wood. You probably don't have kids because it is all about YOU. Police and fire keep us safe and you need law and order and good fire protection to just live in peace. While I agree school administrators have upped their professional salaries for "administrating" a school district, I do not agree that the public servants you mention need pay cuts. Most cannot live here because of rediculous home prices and many teachers I know dig into their own pockets to make things work in the classrooms. City Managers and department heads and other managers might be a ggod place to start. You couldn't live in this area on what a police officer, firefighter or teacher makes....Now that I think about it you probably an administrator or manager type....no wonder...As for you Bruce----right on!

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 14, 2008 at 10:55 am

I agree with Bruce. I was surprised at the support some of the propositions/measures got, like the Children's Hospital in Oakland...it was not about the kids, but about a business, and here we are giving them taxpayer dollars? Think wisely next time before you vote YES on any measure that requires spending... the money does not grow on trees!

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Nov 14, 2008 at 7:27 pm

But think of the children! And that's how most people vote... Hey, it'll be all those kids and grandkids in those children's hospitals paying off the debt! WOOO! DEBT BEFORE YOU'RE EVEN BORN!

Posted by Jackals, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Nov 15, 2008 at 7:34 pm

I'm with cheapskate, the compensation packages for municiple employees are bankrupting the state - and that means us the taxpayers.

A new law was passed and now we'll all know how much we owe state and city employees for pensions and benefits when they retire. Until now it wasn't mandated but now the liability has to be published. Get ready to be rocked by this number when you see it. Your grandkids and their kids will be paying it off for many years with dollars and reduced services, education, etc.

Posted by Ceasar, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Nov 18, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Here is a radical idea.

Insist that teachers must work at least 40 hours a week.
They currently work around 32 hours a week.

"But we spend all night correcting papers" the teachers crow.
Por Favor! My kids work gets corrected by a 10 year old who sits next to her.

Every hour under 40 should be banked for conferences.
Considering they get every holiday imaginable off plus the summers off, It is a reasonable request.

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 18, 2008 at 8:07 pm

All those lesson plans just magically appear during the night. The individualized instruction for the student who has trouble with math or reading happens with no prep at all. The mandated staff development to keep up with the subject matter is also paid for by elves. Kid behave because I said so, that takes no skill.

I am really sick and tired to hear how little teachers work from someone who doesn't know, particularly when I just finished the second of a twelve hour day this week and have three more to complete and then parent conferences next week. I am sure there are some teacher who works the 32 hours you mentioned but none where I work. There are good teachers and yes, some less desirable. Most I know do it because they love the work, love the kids and believe education is valuable.

Sure, give me a time card. I would love the overtime!

(Teachers are paid for the days they work. They have sick leave but no paid holidays or vacation pay, oh yes, in Pleasanton they pay for their own benefits out of their salary.)

I wish I could tell you the umber of times I have made copies and paid for them myself, bought students who didn't have the money the supples they needed and the phone calls I made from home in the evening because my students' parents work and could not be interrupted during their work day, all while my own kids waited for me to finish so I could help them with their homework.

I wish you had a better experience with your child's teacher. Really, I bet there is a bunch of hidden things he or she does that you don't even see. Despite your view of things, I hope your child is getting and exemplary education here. My kids do!

Posted by Karen, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm

To Anonymous:

You will be thrilled to discover What Michelle Rhee is doing as Superintendent of the Washington D.C. schools:

Hard-working, deserving teachers will make A LOT more money than those who kick back. If the nation follows suit, you should be in for a big raise. How could you not support that?

Teachers who compete with one another for raises...hmmm

Most Pleasanton residents work more than 50+ hours a week with 2 weeks vacation a year...and we all pay for our benefits. We should not have to come home to do homework with our kids who should have "gotten it" in the classroom...and neither should you, after teaching your own classes so diligently all day.

Most positions in the greater economy, requiring a college degree, do not pay "over-time". Those positions are considered "Exempt" positions - meaning you get the job done or else - you're GONE. We would all welcome tenure in our jobs.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Del Prado
on Dec 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm

I don't know what all the fuss is about teecherz pai. 55 billion dollars a year is more than enough for the edumaction system in California. Here is what should be done;

1- If you don't teach a student or supervise a teacher your fired.

2- A sizable amount of the budget goes to the school districts. Therefore I believe the disrticts need to be centralized that are run by a few managers.

3- Refuse education to all illegal aliens. If we can't afford to teach our children then why do we have to teach other countries kids?

4- Get rid of the California Teachers Union. (Inappropriate term) They don't teach any children and only complain that they need more mopney. By the way, they are mostly socialist.

Life is not easy and tough decision need to be made.

Posted by another disatisfied parent, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 21, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Anonymous:

We have had many teachers over the years and have not run into one as you describe yourself. Hopefully it will be our turn soon.

In elementary school the lessons were preset many years ago - I know because the younger child has all the same EXACT assignments and books as the older child, also same experience I hear from other parents.

Even though my child is doing well I had nothing but trouble scheduling conferences at conf time - during the short days - to meet with them.

Why are kids correcting eachother's papers? Why do they go on these total waste of time field trips - I can recall one or two over the years that were truly educational.

Why are the teachers taking vacations during the school year, why is one of my kid's teachers frequently going to training classes. Why are there so many subs who show up and do nothing much during the day?

This is what my experience with Pleasanton schools is. The work is very hard and this is good if your child can keep up. If not, you are on your own - the teacher's give nothing but lip service to helping struggling learners.

So you are one of a few and unfortunately we are still waiting for the teacher to remember fondly.

Posted by Still the same, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Dec 22, 2008 at 9:08 am

Wow it is amazing to hear the parents of todays young students frustrated by the exact same concerns as the parents of my kids, now college and older, generation of parents. All of my four kids attended Pleasanton schools K through 12. Parents voiced the same issues that the above posters cite, 15-20 years ago.
Why are our kids still wasting time going to far too many useless field trips, parent volunteer and other students grading papers (confidentiality?), too many subs, parents can't schedule a conference because teachers refuse to work past 2:50? I never believed all of the whining about teachers spending too much time on prep because from my oldest to youngest child they did the exact same assignments.
Teachers would send students home with homework that we were expected to teach our kids because they ran out of time in class, stupid projects and way too much homework.
My generation of parents tried to change these things it is sad to hear nothing has changed.
The positive is we also had many good teachers, my children were well prepared in high school and have been successful in college.
The teachers union is bad for kids!

Posted by another disastisfied parent, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Still the same:

This is troubling that nothing has changed and it proves that the parents have so little power in affecting the education they are paying for.

Glad your children got through successfully and on to college and I will keep up hope and the extra work on nights and weekends with my kids!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.