Finding charity items are being stolen in Vintage Hills

Original post made by Lisa-Touriga Drive, Vintage Hills Elementary School, on Oct 14, 2008

Dear neighbors in Vintage Hills,

Is anyone else finding that their items put out for charities are being stolen?

Last month the charity left a note saying there was nothing left in front of our house to p/u, and now this morning (Oct 14) we had two boxes stolen. Within 45 min of putting out 6 boxes and dutifully taping the donation card to one box early this morning, two of the boxes were stolen. Of course, including the donation card that showed the remaining boxes & misc stuff were for the charity truck pick-up.

This is frustrating! Worring that the rest would not be picked up w/o a card, I drove around (before work), found another neighbor with a card with the phone number so I could let the carity know to p/u the donation w/o a card. Then move the remaining heavy boxes from the curb up to my garage door.

I never have garage sales, preferring to put "really good condition" items out on the curb for "free" to my neighbors or give to charities who spend the time/money/gas to advertise & pick up goods for the needy. I feel bad when I've called a charity to come p/u goods and they arrive to find nothing.

I hope these people are needy and not just greedy for free stuff to sell at flea markets.

Posted by also a donor
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Oct 14, 2008 at 12:01 pm

I used to take all of my things to the Hospice Thrift Shop until they closed. Now we have an art gallery that caters only to their perceived social equals and makes it plain to the rest of us that we are just so much riff raff.

You can take your items to the Discover Shop on Santa Rita. Not as convenient as a pickup but at least your things will get to the right place. I actually asked them to pick up a large load from me with a truck and they did it.

Posted by Jennifer
on Oct 14, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Let make one thing clear. It is not the function of a Fine Art Gallery to collect community garbage.

Posted by Jerry
a resident of Oak Hill
on Oct 14, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Uh Oh!!!! Community garbage???

Posted by also a donor
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Oct 15, 2008 at 7:37 am

Say what Jennifer? No one said the "community garbage" should be collected by an art gallery. I noted that the art gallery took over the space formerly occupied by the thrift store. Go back to hanging out at the gallery with your snobby friends and stop worrying that our "community garbage" will show up.

Posted by OMG
on Oct 15, 2008 at 8:44 am

Was that a post from our Mayor????

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Oct 15, 2008 at 9:41 am

I think that was the point, to make you think it was.

Posted by Lisa
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Oct 16, 2008 at 8:27 am

Dear Also a Donor,
Thank you for the suggestion of Discover Shop! I will keep that in mind. I read your reply too late and now the truck (who missed me again yesterday) is scheduled to come next week. So back in the garage everything must go.

I had only known about the down-town thrift shop and was sorry it wasn't able to relocate instead of closing. I didn't realize there was controversy with the down-town location. I thought they did a nice job with their window displays and stock.

Posted by Mary
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Oct 16, 2008 at 12:28 pm

After being turned away a few times by the Goodwill truck that used to sit behind Raleys and the Hope Hospice shop that is now closed because they were too full, I generally drive my things to Livermore. Within a few blocks you can find 5 different shops so if one place isn't accepting a particular item, I can easily go to another rather than take the stuff home. The shops are:
Shepard's Gate 1362 Railroad
Goodwill 1374 Railroad
ValleyCare 1911 2nd St.
St. Vincent de Paul

Posted by Mary
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Oct 16, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Oops, pressed a button before finished.
St. Vincent de Paul 1817 2nd. St.
Buenas Vidas 116 N. L St.

Posted by James
a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Oct 17, 2008 at 11:09 am

I have also been turned away by good will and salvation army. its a longer drive to livermore, but now all my donations go to shepherd's gate.

Posted by Mia
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Oct 17, 2008 at 11:34 am

I saw two women going through bags left at the curb in Mohr Park. I was walking my dog. There was no truck around, though I did see a car parked nearby. They were very openly going through the charity bags. People were home as evidenced by cars in driveways. I didn't say or do anything because I didn't know what was going on.

Posted by Sandy
on Oct 17, 2008 at 11:39 am

My donation was also stolen at one time and they left someone else's junk instead of my donation. I later saw a woman pick up my neighbors donation, driving a personal car. The next time I left a donation, I got up and sat in my car and watched my donation very early in the morning. My paper delivery person went thru my stuff. Didn't take anything however. He had to get out of his car to deliver my neighbor's paper
to her door and that is when he went thru my stuff. I live in a condo.

Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Oct 19, 2008 at 9:57 pm

If I am giving something away, I really don't care who gets it.

Posted by Jerry
a resident of Oak Hill
on Oct 20, 2008 at 1:39 am

I have a friend that re-modeled building in SF. At days end they put their "junk" near the sidewalk with a "Please Do Not Take" sign. He made very few trips to the dumps - just the "big stuff" people couldn't carry away... He said even pieces of broken up drywall would disappear...:)