Does Steve Brozosky engage in Karl Rove style politics?

Original post made by Ryan on Sep 12, 2008

After Steve Brozosky's 2006 election campaign, many were left wondering if Steve Brozosky and campaign manager Dan Carl believe in slash and burn, divide and conquer, Karl Rove style politics. It appears Brozosky tries to find trivial wedge issues (like Hosterman's email account or pet bird) to divide the community into two partisan camps. By design, these Rove-like tactics often distract from the real issues important to the future of Pleasanton. Any thoughts on this?

Posted by Mike, a resident of Birdland
on Sep 12, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Don't blame the whistleblower and excuse the bad behavior of the wrong doer.

The Hosterman camp is engaging in negative campaigning with these attacks. What hypocrisy! I hope Brozosky continues to take the high road.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Sep 12, 2008 at 2:35 pm

The joke in Mike's post is that it is impossible for us to know. We don't know if "The Brozosky camp" is writing here nor do we know if "The Hosterman camp" is writing here.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Birdland
on Sep 12, 2008 at 6:20 pm

It is very obvious that the Hosterman camp has started their campaign of negetive smear letters.

I hope Brozosky continues to take the high road. I don't want to hear three months of this, I already feel dirty.

Posted by Sara, a resident of Downtown
on Sep 12, 2008 at 6:55 pm

I agree with Mike from Birdland. These forums popping up seem to be classic Hosterman tactics. Maybe that is why she has lost touch with the voters in Pleasanton. She and her campaign staff must think this is the way to run a campaign. Spend timing time on bulletin boards rather than talking to constituents that she has disappointed just shows how desparate she must be. How disturbing.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Sep 12, 2008 at 7:03 pm

One thing we can be certain of... Pleasanton never saw this kind of mudslinging campaigns in the past until Brozosky and Hosterman faced off in the last election. I didn't care too much about the mayoral race back in 2006 until, in the 11th hour before election day, someone anonymously left a flyer at my door telling me to go to a website and read Hosterman's scandalous email. When the candidates are essentially the same on the issues, how else are they going to differentiate themselves?

Posted by unclehomerr.., a resident of Downtown
on Sep 12, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Karl Rove style politics?? Is that code for 'Republican'?? LOL!

I always thought Brozoski was somewhat of a 'twit'. I guess I'll have to reconsider if he's a 'Republican twit'!

unclehomerr..

Posted by Mike, a resident of Birdland
on Sep 13, 2008 at 9:24 am

Holding our elected officials accountable is not mean spirited it is responsible.

It does not matter if you think the laws that Hosterman broke were minor legal violations, elected officials know they will be scrutinized and held to a high standard, they must act accordingly.

On the other hand the lies and misinformation in the George Reid and Richard Roberts letters are dirty politic clearly orchestrated by Hostermans campaign people.

I hope Hosterman rethinks this strategy. Jeniffer don't do this to Pleasanton.

Posted by frank, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Sep 14, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Email attacks were against Hostermann. Pet bird attacks were against Hostermann. In both cases Carl and Brozosky were antagonists.

Remind me what drama or attacks against Brozosky antagonized by Hostermann or her supporters were?

I can't find anything in these threads.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Birdland
on Sep 14, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Frank, surely you are too perseptive not to see that the Carl Rove reference is name calling.
The suggestion that Brosozky was responsible for the City's failed email system, after it was publicly stated that he was not at fault, is intended to defame as well.
Carl and Brozosky were whistle blowers. In both situations Hosterman was in violation of laws. Does the original poster get to decide what the threshold of trivial law breaking is?

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2008 at 9:32 pm

There is no way that Brozosky did not know that he was to keep records himself. Blaming it on the city server when most of us have trouble getting things off our computer is ridiculous. It's like saying It's not my fault I lost my homework, the dog ate it. Whose responsibily was it? The elected official has the responsibility not the city's server.
I have seen Steve take total responsibility for things that really are due to a combination of factors, two or more other votes on the council or the school board, a smart staff or administration that did the leg work, or the many people who at one time supported him. Not that he does not deserve some of the credit but certainly not all of it. One person can't do it alone.

To absolve himself of the responsibility of those emails is insulting to anyone using a computer particualrly after going after another official and pointing the finger concerning emails. He didn't expect that someone would ask for his? Sure he did.

I would like to see both candidates for mayor talk to me about the issues not about each other. I want to hear them talk about the positive things we have in Pleasanton and how we are going to continue to remain fiscally sound. I want to see their endorsements. Not just one endorsement from one pac or one individual, but the range of endorsements, that tells me who listens to the most variety of citizens in Pleasanton. I want someone who works well with others including people with whom he or she disagree. I know I won't get the perfect mayor but I hope to get one that is human and treats people with respect as much as is humanly possible.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Birdland
on Sep 15, 2008 at 8:29 am

This became tiresome long ago.

This accusation is an absence of breaking a law, publicly stated by the city staff it was an error on the city's part, Brozosky did turn over email from his personal computer when asked.
Contrast with Hosterman caught red-handed of multiple legal violations and repeated disturbing disregard and disrespect toward citizens in her public communications.
This is all old news and I would like to see it end also. I am correcting lies and misinformation, if Hosterman's camp will stop muckraking we can move on.

This is an excerpt from a message Brozosky sent to supporters more than a month ago. I don't think he would mind if I share.

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:48 PM
Hello Friends and Weekly blog lurkers,

Now that the campaign season has started with the filing of papers, I wanted to let you know I will not be viewing the weekly blog at all. Since I know some of you do monitor the blogs, I have a few requests:
If there are negative posts about me, you do not need to notify me. Ignorance is bliss.
If you see posts that you know to be factually incorrect, feel free to correct the record.
If there is a factual item you need more information from me on before you post a reply, feel free to send me an email asking for information.
Try to keep to the facts.

Thanks,
Steve
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I have renewed respect for Steve for making a commitment to his supporters to run a grassroots issues based campaign.
Will Hosterman step-up and do the same?

I am not Brozosky, Carl, Stacey, or Cholo.

Posted by Fred, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Sep 17, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Just say no to Brozosky. I have encountered him at a Wheels bus public meeting and he's not a guy I would want in office. (Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.