A San Jose man was busted in the early morning hours of July 29 by a Pleasanton police officer who spotted him wearing dark clothing and standing near a parked car on a bike without lights, police reports said.
Teddy Lawrence Dreher, 48, was arrested at about 2:35 a.m. near the intersection of Singletree Way and Payne Road for prowling, possession of lock-picking tools, possession of a non-narcotic controlled substance, and resisting arrest. A search turned up two screwdrivers and a flashlight. Dreher was also arrested on an outstanding Santa Cruz arrest warrant.
In other police reports:
* The District Attorney's Office will have to decide whether to file charges against a Pleasanton mother and son in a drug deal gone bad. The July 25 incident was initially reported as a robbery in the 4100 block of Dorman Road, but as the story unfolded, police determined that the son had -- with his mother's permission -- sold 10 prescription pills for the anti-anxiety drug diazepam but refused to share the cash.
* A July 25 auto burglary outside Macy's Women's at Stoneridge Shopping Center not only yielded a $400 purse, $400 cell phone and a $40 wallet, but also provided the thief with everything needed to steal the victim's identity. Taken in the break-in, which occurred between 6:10 and 9:15 p.m., were checks, a driver's license, IRS paperwork including a Social Security number, credit and debit cards -- and a $50 bottle of prescription diet pills.
* Stephanie Alice Ledon, 21, of Oakland, was arrested at about 5:37 p.m. July 29 at at Nordstrom in Stoneridge Shopping Center for grand theft and providing false identification to a police officer in the theft of four $250 gold watches and offering someone else's name to the arresting officer.
* A July 27 break-in through a bathroom window at a home in the 3400 block of Cumberland Gap Court netted games, electronics and a $4,000 arc welder. Also taken was a $1,000 collection of sports cards, a $600 PlayStation with cordless controllers, a $300 Wii game console and a $150 13-inch flat-screen television. The burglary occurred between midnight and 6:30 a.m.; no one was home at the time.
* Chris Dillon, 46, a transient, was arrested on a Pleasanton warrant for the theft of a handgun at about 3:48 a.m. July 26 in the 3600 block of Old Santa Road.
* Kevin Dwight Thompson, 40, of Pleasanton, was arrested July 26 at about 1:35 a.m. on an outstanding Alameda County forgery warrant; police contacted him at a parking lot in the 1100 block of Kottinger Drive.
* Safeway reported the theft of 44 bottles of expensive liquor valued at a total of $1,783 in four incidents on July 12, 13, 17 and 24. Two men were observed each time, but no arrests have been made.
Under the law, those arrested are considered innocent until convicted.