Police bulletin | December 30, 2016 | Pleasanton Weekly | PleasantonWeekly.com |

Pleasanton Weekly

Community Pulse - December 30, 2016

Police bulletin

Police investigating home break-in with car, gun stolen

Pleasanton police are investigating a burglary in which $80,000 worth of items -- including a classic car and a handgun -- were reportedly stolen from a residence.

The break-in happened at a home on the 7700 block of Bernal Avenue sometime between 6:45 a.m. and 7:45 a.m. Friday, according to police. That morning, an unknown suspect stole a black 1966 Ford Mustang, jewelry and a 9 mm handgun from the home, items collectively valued at about $80,000.

The victim arrived home that afternoon and discovered they had been robbed, according to Pleasanton officers. Construction workers were at the residence approximately one hour before the theft occurred, but no suspect information was gathered. Police say there were no signs of forced entry and no arrests had been made as of Tuesday afternoon.

Anyone with information can contact the Pleasanton Police Department, 931-5100.

In other news

* The California Highway Patrol is reminding motorists of new traffic laws pertaining to cellphone use, driving under the influence and child safety that will take effect when the calendar turns to 2017 this weekend.

Beginning Sunday, drivers will no longer be permitted to hold a cellphone or other wireless communications device.

Rather than holding the device while driving, you'll be required to mount it in the 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield furthest from you or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner closest to you, according to the CHP. Another option is to affix your phone to the dashboard in a place that does not interfere with airbag deployment or obstruct your view.

The law does allow a driver to operate one of these devices with a single swipe or tap of the finger, but not while holding it, according to the CHP.

Another law taking effect Sunday extends a DUI pilot program currently underway in Alameda County and other parts of the state.

It requires a DUI offender to install an ignition interlock device on their car for a specified period of time in order to get a restricted or reinstated driver's license. It also removes the required suspension time before a person can get a restricted license, provided that the offender installs the device on their car.

The law extends the DUI ignition interlock device pilot program currently taking place in Alameda, Los Angeles, Sacramento and Tulare counties until Jan. 1, 2019, at which point all DUI offenders statewide will be required to install the device to have their license reinstated.

Laws pertaining to child safety on the roads will also take effect Sunday.

Every school will now be required to have a transportation safety plan with procedures to ensure that a student is not left unattended in a vehicle, according to the CHP. And children under 2 years old will now have to ride rear-facing in an appropriate child passenger safety seat, with those weighing 40 or more pounds or standing 40 or more inches tall exempt.

For complete information on bills enacted in 2016, visit http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/.

* A concert that's being promoted in Berkeley on New Year's Eve that supposedly will benefit the Alameda County Food Bank is a scam, the Alameda County District Attorney's Office said.

The District Attorney's Office said, "The 'I Love the 90's Music Fest' or 'New Years Eve 90s Music Fest' is currently being advertised online, but the event is not taking place."

Websites promoting the concert say it will feature 1990s acts such as Dru Hill, K-Ci & Jojo, Next, Silk, Color Me Badd and SWV.

The websites list a phone number that people can call to buy tickets as well as an office space that's being temporarily rented at 1300 Clay St., Suite 600, in Oakland.

The websites say AFAA Sports is organizing the concert but it doesn't appear that such an outfit exists.

The websites say, "Proceeds benefit Alameda County Food Bank" but food bank spokesman Michael Altfest said last week that the food bank doesn't have any affiliation with the concert. He said people who want to donate to the food bank can do so by visiting its website.

The DA's Office said people who have purchased tickets to the fake event or have any other information about it should call its consumer protection division at (510) 383-8600.

--Julia Reis and Bay City News Service

Comments

There are no comments yet for this post

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: *

Choose a category: *

Since this is the first comment on this story a new topic will also be started in Town Square! Please choose a category that best describes this story.

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

 

2017 guide to summer camps

Looking for something for the kids to do this summer, learn something new and have fun? The 2017 Summer Camp Guide features local camps for all ages and interests.

Find Camps Here