The Pleasanton Downtown Association's popular Concert in the Park series starts tonight and will take place every Friday night through Aug. 29, featuring an eclectic mix of music from rock, blues and big band to '50s and '60s oldies, soul and Latin rock. The free concerts run from 7-8:30 p.m. at Lions Wayside Park, on the corner of First and Neal streets.
Patrons are encouraged to pick up dinner "to go" from one of downtown Pleasanton's many restaurants and bring it with them to the park.
While concert-goers are allowed to put out blankets and chairs (at their own risk) in Lions Wayside and Delucchi parks, they are asked to wait until the morning of the concert to do so. The use of rocks to hold down blankets is prohibited, as large rocks can damage lawn-mowing equipment. Also, the use of plastic tarps, which can burn the grass, is not allowed.
Safeway is the presenting sponsor for the 2014 Concert in the Park season. The Pleasanton Weekly is the media sponsor. Additionally, each concert is sponsored by a different local business.
2014 Concert in the Park Line-Up:
* June 6 -- West Grand Boulevard, classic soul & Motown, sponsored by SafeAmerica Credit Union
* June 13 -- James Nagel Band, rock & soul, sponsored by the Alameda County Fair
* June 20 -- Ruckatan Latin Tribe, Latin rock, sponsored by The Cellar Door
* June 27 -- The Crisis, eclectic rock, sponsored by Alain Pinel Realtors
* July 11 -- Cooltones, Big Band & swing, sponsored by The Wine Steward
* July 18 -- OTR, classic rock, sponsored by Wealth Management Associates
* July 25 -- Plastic Paddy, Celtic rock, sponsored by Renewal By Anderson
* Aug. 1 -- Finding Stella, modern/alt rock, sponsored by Sandra J. Wing Healing Therapies
* Aug. 8 -- Tommy and the 4 Speeds, 1960s, sponsored by Uncle Credit Union
* Aug. 15 -- Burton & Co., jazzy rhythm and blues sponsored by Firehouse Arts Center
* Aug. 22 -- Magic Moments, hits of the '50s & '60s, sponsored by Studio Seven Arts & RenJen and Associates
* Aug. 29 -- Public Eye, high energy rock, sponsored by New Leaf Community Markets.