A resident of the 2700 block of Vista Diablo Court lost $34,000 in a common scam, according to Pleasanton police reports.
The victim fell prey to the grandparent scam, in which a caller claiming to be a relative asks for money. Typically, the con man asks the victim to guess who he is, and uses that name to get cash by claiming to be in trouble in a foreign country and asking the victim not to tell his parents.
In this case, reported at about 11:56 a.m. Feb. 24, the caller pretended to be the victim's grandson in Vancouver, Canada. The victim sent two wires, according to the police report, which said the funds actually went to Mexico.
In other police reports:
* Nadia Elina Estrada-Bamber, 21, of Sacramento was arrested at about 9:10 p.m. Feb. 21 at Motel 6 in the 5100 block of Hopyard Road on a misdemeanor count of prostitution. Estrada-Bamber was taken into custody after police contacted her outside the motel. She admitted she went to the motel to engage in prostitution, according to police, who said her ad was found at a sex-for-sale website.
* A man found dead in his car in the 5000 block of Franklin Drive near Harland Financial Solutions was ruled a suicide, according to the Alameda County Coroner's Office. No other information is being released about the incident, reported at about 2:03 p.m. Feb. 21.
* Michael Vaughn Shaw, 43, of Livermore was arrested on a Pleasanton felony warrant for possession of a narcotic for sale and drug trafficking. Shaw, who was arrested at about 9:42 p.m. in the 4800 block of Bernal Avenue, was also cited for a vehicle code violation.
* Jewelry valued at $2,950 and a $50 iPod were stolen from a home in the 5600 block of Owens Drive between 9:15 a.m. and 5:15 p.m. Feb. 19. A $2,000 gold chain, an $850 gold wedding ring and a $100 watch were also taken in the theft. It's unknown how entry was made.
* A resident of the 6600 block of Amber Lane reported at about 2:48 p.m. Feb. 22 that a fraudulent account had been opened in his name and that charges of $919 were made at Lowe's in Sunnyvale.
* Lionesha Raquel Hamilton, 24, of Tracy was arrested at about 7:36 p.m. Feb. 18 in the 1400 block of Stoneridge Mall Road on a felony count of shoplifting for allegedly taking seven articles of clothing worth $578.50 from Macy's Men's, along with a misdemeanor count of possession of burglary tools.
* A $450 laptop was stolen from a home in the 500 block of Main Street in a residential burglary between 8:30 a.m. and 10:50 p.m. Feb. 20. There was no sign of forced entry.
* Safeway in the 6700 block of Bernal Avenue reported receiving a fake $100 bill in an incident reported at about 8:51 p.m. Feb. 21.
* An 18-year-old Hayward man was arrested at around 3:59 a.m. Feb. 24 at Denny's in the 6400 block of Owens Drive on misdemeanor counts of interfering with a business and providing fake ID to police.
* A resident of the 6100 block of Corte Trancas reported several applications had been made for credit cards in her name. No charges were made against her account.
Under the law, those arrested are considered innocent until convicted.