A San Francisco man was arrested for felony arson in recent days, while police investigate another arson that occurred the next day.
Anthony Torrienert, 29, a transient from San Francisco, was arrested at about 2:23 a.m. Dec. 31. Police were called to the Shell gas station in the 4200 block of First Street and found Torrienert standing next to a gas pump; questioned by police, he said he started a fire about 20 feet from gas pumps in a stack of wood for sale at the front door to stay warm.
The next day, a tenant of Ridgeview Commons in the 5300 block of Case Avenue reported someone tried to light her apartment door on fire. Police found a pile of ash outside the door but have no suspects in the incident, reported at about 10:39 a.m. Jan. 1.
In other police reports:
* Steve Steve, 54, of San Jose was arrested at about 11:55 a.m. Jan 3 on a felony count of possessing a fake driver's license and misdemeanor counts of giving false identification to police and driving without a license.
The arrest took place after police saw a vehicle partially blocking the road. While officers were on scene, a man came out of a home's garage and told them he was putting notes on vehicles he hoped to buy and was inside the garage leaving a note there.
The homeowner said nothing was missing, but a search of Steve and his car turned up a number of IDs with different names and dates of birth.
* Daniel Albert Sotomayor, 25, a transient, was arrested at about 3:10 p.m. Dec. 31 in the 6000 block of Stoneridge Mall Road for felony attempted auto theft and misdemeanor loitering. Sotomayor was seen jiggling vehicle door handles at the mall and was seen the day before and earlier the same day doing the same thing.
* Damon M. Jefferson, 22, of Oakland was arrested at about 2:01 p.m. Jan. 4 at Victoria's Secret in the 1300 block of Stoneridge Mall Road on a felony count of receiving stolen property.
* Two exercise bikes, one worth $2,399 and another worth $1,799, were stolen from Precor Home Fitness in the 6000 block of Johnson Drive; a front window was smashed for entry in the incident, reported at about 9:53 a.m. Jan. 3.
* An iPad worth $599, a $500 laptop and various jewelry worth about $765 were stolen from an apartment in the 6300 block of Stoneridge Mall Road, along with a $100 set of earbuds. The incident was reported at about 6:25 p.m. Dec. 30; the resident was unable to determine how the culprits entered her apartment.
* Nordstrom, in the 1600 block of Stoneridge Mall Road, reported at 5:05 p.m. Dec. 30 the embezzlement of $1,910 through fraudulent returns.
* A secret shopper scam netted $1,900 in money orders from a 29-year-old resident of the 500 block of San Gabriel Court between Dec. 30 and Jan. 3.
* The Verizon Wireless store in the 6000 block of Johnson Drive was hit by grab-and-run thieves twice in less than a week. In the first case, at about 4:54 p.m. Dec. 30, two iPhones worth $649 and $549 were taken. In the latest, $179 speakers and a $79 battery pack were taken.
* A gym member at 24 Hour Fitness in the 4700 block of Willow Road reported at about 8:21 p.m. Jan. 4 that a cellphone and Bluetooth headset worth about $998 were stolen from his duffel bag in about 10 minutes.
* A resident of the 5700 block of Owens Drive told police at around 4:05 p.m. Dec. 31 that someone had tried to open a credit card in his name, requesting an $8,500 loan. The loan was denied.
* A credit check led to a resident of the 3600 block of Touriga Drive discovering that someone had used her identification to try to get an apartment in Wisconsin, in an incident reported at about 4:20 p.m. Dec. 31.
* A visit from friends led to the theft of a $200 laptop from a home in the 4800 block of Bernal Avenue in an incident reported at about 11:23 a.m. Jan. 6.
* A counterfeit $5 bill was received by 7-Eleven in the 3700 block of Hopyard Road in an incident reported at about 1:32 p.m. Jan. 5.
Under the law, those arrested are considered innocent until convicted.