News

Pleasanton woman assaulted on Main Street early Friday

Woman wrestles attacker away, calls 911

A 43-year-old Pleasanton woman was assaulted just after midnight Friday as she was walking in the 300 block of Main Street in the downtown business district.

This story contains 272 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Comments

2 people like this
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Dec 31, 2016 at 7:54 am

Why in the world would she be walking the streets at that time of night? I bet she knew her attacker.

46 people like this
Posted by Nunya
on Dec 31, 2016 at 8:24 am

Seriously, Sam? She could have been walking home. Or to her car. Who cares why she was walking at midnight? She should be able to walk around if she wants without fear of being groped or grabbed by some stranger no matter the time of day. If it had been a man walking on Main St. after midnight who was shoved or hit by some stranger, would it be his fault? It sounds like you're blaming her for being out at night. That's insane. I'm just glad she got her phone out and called for help. Thankfully she wasn't beaten up, robbed or raped. How about not blaming the victim.

6 people like this
Posted by Adam
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 31, 2016 at 8:25 am

How did a 43 year old woman fight off a 230 pound 30 year old man with a muscular build so easily ....

3 people like this
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Dec 31, 2016 at 8:26 am

Adam that is my point. Something is fishy about this story.

4 people like this
Posted by (Original) Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Dec 31, 2016 at 8:44 am

Just want to make it clear that the opinions expressed above by "Sam from Oak Hill" are from some "new" Sam and not me.

5 people like this
Posted by SHale
a resident of San Ramon
on Dec 31, 2016 at 9:33 am

SHale is a registered user.

of course, let's blame the victim.

13 people like this
Posted by Common Sense
a resident of Del Prado
on Dec 31, 2016 at 7:15 pm

As I said in other posts, we need to allow more people to conceal carry so thugs like "Mr. Honda Accord" will leave P-town in a body bag instead of driving outta here. We need these thugs to think twice before coming to P-town to conduct their "business".

29 people like this
Posted by Jerry
a resident of Canyon Meadows
on Jan 1, 2017 at 11:14 am

Love this town - woman reports a crime and the geniuses of Pleasanton (1) blame her, (2) discount the veracity of her claim, (3) argue that somehow if she had a gun, she could have protected herself from a criminal (who apparently couldn't have a gun himself?). Have fun being poor white failures sulking on the internet while all the intelligent women and immigrants actually pass high school, go to college, and run this country.

10 people like this
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Jan 1, 2017 at 11:32 am

And there you have it. Pearls of wisdom from Jerry.

6 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Jan 1, 2017 at 4:11 pm

BobB is a registered user.

Go Jerry!! Wish I could have double liked your comment!

6 people like this
Posted by Nonregular
a resident of Vintage Hills
on Jan 1, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Right on Jerry. You just described most of the regular posters on these forums.
Well Said.

5 people like this
Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Jan 1, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I was joking. I think Jerry's comments are immature at best or stupid at worst. Wanted to see how many would like his comments. Interesting.

16 people like this
Posted by Maggie
a resident of Valencia
on Jan 2, 2017 at 9:37 am

You men do realize that women have just as much a right to be on the street at mid-night as you do! According to the article, she started to scream. Between her screaming and trying to escape his hold on her, he probably thought it was better to get away. It sounds like he didn't have a weapon, or it could have been a very different story. Bravo to this woman who refused to be a victim!

11 people like this
Posted by BobB
on Jan 2, 2017 at 9:54 am

BobB is a registered user.

@Sam,

Nothing funny about your "joke".

3 people like this
Posted by Stew
a resident of Castlewood
on Jan 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm

First - Jerry's first three comments are somewhat accurate except for grouping all of Pleasanton's residents into the "geniuses of Pleasanton" catagory..,,there's been a total of about 4-5 people that have indicated that they don't think the woman should have been walking on Main St. Or should have had a gun, etc... The remainder of Jerry's comments are ignorant, asinine and immature.
Second - it's completely logical that a 43 year old woman would be able to fight off a muscular 30 yr old man...my wife is 50 and I'd feel sorry for the 30 yr old man that would try to assault her..,he'd be in the hospital.

10 people like this
Posted by night walker
on Jan 2, 2017 at 2:47 pm

As a female who is older than this woman and someone who works very irregular hours I am often walking downtown in the middle of the night. If I happen to return late from a business trip and work in my office for several hours it could be well after midnight when my outgoing mail and bank deposits are ready to be walked downtown and dropped off. I think nothing of doing this. I am always completely aware of everyone around me and in the middle of the night ANYONE else is suspect and noticed. I walk with a walking stick, not for balance. I have taken close quarters combat training and am adequately prepared to put me and my stick to use.

Yes, everyone needs to be aware of what is around them. And no, just being a female does not mean that I am not entitled to be wherever I choose to be whenever I choose to do it just because I might be targeted. Would I do this in Oakland? Are you KIDDING? But to say that walking around in Pleasanton, basically a very safe town, is too hazardous is just ridiculous.

4 people like this
Posted by mike
a resident of another community
on Jan 3, 2017 at 12:05 am

mike is a registered user.

Nightwalker:

Thank you for telling potential bad guys that you might have a large sum of money on your person as your walking late at night. Your "I'am a tough lady, bring it on" post might get you robbed

5 people like this
Posted by DirkDiggler
on Jan 4, 2017 at 5:58 am

DirkDiggler is a registered user.

Always fascinates me how people come on this site to bash others for their ridiculous posts...for being spiteful....for being illiterate....for being angry, resentful.....you name it. Then these SAME people go on here and bash the hell out of these same people with equally hateful, negative, unnecessary and yes, ridiculous language and innuendos. What makes everyone so superior that they think they can decide who is smart, funny, right, wrong, stupid, irresponsible.....or otherwise? How about learning not to judge.....lest you be judged someday.

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Castlewood

on Jan 5, 2017 at 5:55 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

ValleyCare closes Livermore thrift store