A two-alarm fire destroyed a second-floor apartment and damaged at least one other Friday night in an eight-unit apartment complex at 1302 Hopyard Rd.
Firefighters from the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department extinguished the blaze that was believed caused by burning grease on a stove in the damaged apartment, but not before it burned into the apartment building's attic.
In addition to fire damage to an adjacent second floor apartment, water and smoke also damaged several apartments on the building's first floor, with a total of 16 tenants displaced.
Battalion Chief Paul Lagasa said the fire was reported at 8:30 p.m. with eight fire vehicles responding from both his department and Alameda County Fire.
Pleasanton Weekly photographer Jay Flachsbarth, who was on the scene shortly after the fire broke out, said the "quick work of the joint response" of the two fire departments kept the blaze from spreading through the attic and entire building.
The Red Cross was called to assist those who were displaced.
Jay Flachsbarth at firstname.lastname@example.org/