Firefighters extinguished a raging fire Friday at a one story home in Livermore, but not without difficulty as propane tanks outside the house exploded.
Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Rodondi of the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department said crews quickly responded to reports of an explosion in the 2400 Block of Normandy Circle in Livermore shortly after noon.
Venting propane cylinders, the kind used to fuel barbecues, were stored in a side yard next to the home and exposed to high outside temperatures. They were likely the cause of the fire, Rodondi said. The exploding propane tanks propelled broken parts of the cylinders and fencing over 50 feet.
"The first arriving unit observed significant fire activity on the exterior of the home, a single story, single family dwelling," he said. "The fire started on the outside of the home, in the side yard, and the fire quickly extended to the roof area."
"Two more explosions occurred after the arrival of the fire companies, furthering the spread of the fire to the interior of the home, as well as to the exterior of the neighbor's home," he added. "While the residence did have a fire sprinkler system installed, the volume of fire quickly overwhelmed its capabilities."
The fire was contained at approximately 2 p.m. and crews remained on the scene performing salvage and overhaul operations until 6:30 p.m.
Eight fire engines, two tucks, and five chief officers responded to the fire; including mutual aid units from Alameda County Fire Department. One firefighter was treated on scene for a heat-related exposure and quickly returned to his duties after a rest period. A total of two alarms were called to assist in the firefighting operation and to provide emergency coverage to the city.
No civilians were injured and the residents were not home at the time of the fire.
"This fire serves as a general reminder that propane cylinders should be stored in a well ventilated area out of direct sunlight," Rodondi said,