Firefighters donned protective gear Friday afternoon to deal with a flow of battery acid at the intersection of Wyoming and Washington streets in Pleasanton, just two blocks from the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department's headquarters.
Their action came after a commercial battery weighing about 1,600-pounds fell over in its delivery truck and began to leak acid.
A spokesman for the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department said a call for help came at 4:38 p.m. Firefighters created a dam to prevent the acid from contaminating the storm drain.
The department's Hazardous Materials unit then entered the truck to stop the active leak by repositioning the battery, wearing self contained breathing apparatus, chemical resistant splash suits, rubber boots and rubber gloves. The crew was able to contain the leak to the truck and the adjacent gutter.
Wyoming Street was closed between Washington Street and Utah Street for approximately 45 minutes while fire crews made the hazardous materials entry.
After the truck's owners were contacted, a private hazardous materials clean-up contractor from Oakland was hired to complete the clean up and handle the disposal. Fire crews remained on scene until their arrival at 7 p.m.
Two individuals at the scene were exposed to the acid and performed self-decontamination, the Fire Department reported. No others were injured and the fire department spokesman said there was never any threat to the general public.